Vertical black stripes in panplayer

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
I don't know why but panplayer doesen't show correctly some of my videos it draws two stripes at left and right that cover the edges of the video. I have got some pictures of it:

Panplayer running fullscreen

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8977/video1e.jpg

Panplayer running windowed

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/155/video2n.jpg

As you can see when i go fullscreen there is a good portion of the video that is lost, and it's not related to the stretching. This happens with a lot of videos I have tested but not with all of them. With other players like vlc the same videos work perfectly.

This has something to do with the options of panplayer?

I will chime in and see if I can be of any help. Keep in mind I do not yet have my Pandora.

OK, after seeing your screenshots what seems to be happening is that when you go "Full Screen" in Panplayer it looks like it is going full screen but keeping the correct 4:3 aspect ratio instead of stretching the video. So is the problem that you want it to stretch out instead of keeping the correct ratio? If so, you may want to look for any settings that allow changing things like "aspect", "Aspect ratio", "4:3, 16:9" etc.

I would say that if the other video playback software is stretching out, then Panplayer is actually doing more right than wrong here by keeping the aspect ratio correct. It appears when windowed to be filling the window and not keeping the correct ratio, not sure if this is by design or not, but I personally find it best when a video stays in the correct ratio, regardless of full screen or windowed or whatnot.

So maybe look for those kind of options in settings and see if you can get it to not adhere to keeping the correct aspect ratio, otherwise you will have to use another software if this is it's only option and you do not like that.

EDIT: scratch that, I misunderstood the screenshots etc. OK, it looks like it is displaying in 4:3 but that you have a 16:9 video and it is cropping off the edges, so try to look for those aspect or display options and see if you can tell it that it is 16:9 not 4:3. If not than this program is not able to detect the ratio and just displays what it is set at and that is NOT a good thing. My bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly poem58, the video is 4:3 but in panplayer it stretches it and then cuts the edges as I said in vlc (fullscren) the aspect ratio is not changed. Your suggestion is not bad in any sense but panlayer is not that obvious, you don't have a menu where to manage the options, everything has to be specified in a text file and I can't see any place to force the aspect ratio.

Back