Vice 2.0 (25 Jul 2008) Released

GnoStiC said:
yep, it's easy to port the vice. no gp2x specific flags are required (other than the usual optimization flags)
hmm, when i tried to run configure it croaks on trying to find the X11/svgalib devel files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, this is a question for GnoStiC...(and i apologise in advance if this has already been answered..!) Are you working on Vice for the Wiz by any chance?

I've just been reading this forum and I must say, great work so far!

Dan

danjh0 said:
Hello, this is a question for GnoStiC...(and i apologise in advance if this has already been answered..!) Are you working on Vice for the Wiz by any chance?

I've just been reading this forum and I must say, great work so far!
Dan

Gnostic indeed does a terrific job.
As far as I know he's working on multiple platforms at the same time.
For example, if I'm right he's also working on issues on the gp2x version of vice2x (e.g. the 'missing lines' issue).
The last info I've got is that he's busy moving from one place to another.
So patience is all we've got......

yep, it's easy to port the vice. no gp2x specific flags are required (other than the usual optimization flags)
i've started to code a new gui for pandora port, as i want it to be eye candy, not a simple "pop up menu" :}

Wow, VICE with an eye candy GUI, how great is that? Can't wait to show VICE off to people on the Pandora. They are going to be in denial: "What the hell is that!"

Speaking of denial, because it's a VICE port, will we also have Vic20 emulation on the Pandora? Nothing says nostalgia like a little Vic Gorf once and a while.

Mac

no new versions :(

i now have the sources (i got my hdd) but i don't have a gp2x here so i can't test the compiled stuff..
it seems i'll get a pandora before i can get my gp2x..

GnoStiC said:
no new versions :(

i now have the sources (i got my hdd) but i don't have a gp2x here so i can't test the compiled stuff..
it seems i'll get a pandora before i can get my gp2x..
Will you still update gp2x vice when you get a pandora? I hope so as some of us may not get one.

Hirolaser said:
Will you still update gp2x vice when you get a pandora? I hope so as some of us may not get one.
That includes me, I also would appreciate that.

How well are the "other" commodore machines emulated? Does anyone use this emu for Vic 20, C128 and C16/plus 4 emulation?

VICE 2.1 is going to be released in december, we would like to have the gp2x improvements included in the release. To do this we would need either the changes source tarball or the diff file.

Signed, Marco van den Heuvel.

If anyone has played them, how do the following games run: Gauntlet, bubble bobble, Great giana sisters and California games?

Are these full speed with sound with no problems or do any of them suffer from the same out of sync sound with action and pausing/skipping issues like those games mentioned earlier in the thread?

Hirolaser said:
If anyone has played them, how do the following games run: Gauntlet, bubble bobble, Great giana sisters and California games?

Are these full speed with sound with no problems or do any of them suffer from the same out of sync sound with action and pausing/skipping issues like those games mentioned earlier in the thread?

Bubble Bobble runs fine. I haven't tried the others

Pausing and skipping issues usually happen on games with a lot of sid sound stuff going on. Most can be eradicated by changing the sid to the fast setting and upping the OC to 250.
I think the only one that might cause problems is California games

Thanks for the reply foleyjo, glad to hear that, Bubble Bobble is one of the best arcade conversions on C64. Gnostic did say he will look at SID code and hopefully these skipping/pausing issues using real SID can be sorted on all games. Maybe on the new Vice 2.1, Gnostic?

Some games still have alot of skipping due to heavy sid usage, even when using fast-sid and being overclocked to 250. Bounty Bob Strikes Back suffers from this, and I'm sure there are a few more. I did not get Miner 2049er to work, did anyone else have more luck?

Giana sisters worked fine for me, but I don't like having to press up to jump, I'd rather have a button for that and I haven't figured out how to change the control scheme yet :)

Hirolaser said:
Thanks for the reply foleyjo, glad to hear that, Bubble Bobble is one of the best arcade conversions on C64. Gnostic did say he will look at SID code and hopefully these skipping/pausing issues using real SID can be sorted on all games. Maybe on the new Vice 2.1, Gnostic?
more like on 2.1 (.5) or 2.2 :/

blacky said:
VICE 2.1 is going to be released in december, we would like to have the gp2x improvements included in the release. To do this we would need either the changes source tarball or the diff file.

@GnoStiC,

Is this something you can take care of for us?
Just to make sure the gp2x-owners will have all the work you have done for us implemented in the new release.

ZakHooi said:
blacky said:

@GnoStiC,

Just to make sure the gp2x-owners will have all the work you have done for us implemented in the new release.

i've already send the sources to Marco so we're good :)

GnoStiC said:
ZakHooi said:
blacky said:

@GnoStiC,

i've already send the sources to Marco so we're good :)

Hi GnoStiC, I bow to your most excellent updates of the VICE2X X64 emulator :)

I am looking forward to playing it with my cradle and my USB gamepad, and possibly TV out!

I have one question though:

every time I shut down the X64 emulator (as far back as I can remember), it seems to take close to a minute (just a guess mind you, never timed) to get back to the main GP2X menu (or GMenu2X menu).

Is the emulator saving a snapshot or something every time it shuts down? I am finding this large pause very annoying.

Also, I have noticed that when saving a snapshot it seems to take roughly the same amount of time too..is there any chance of speeding this up?

Keep up the most excellent work dude! :)
cheers,
Paul

Paul Nicholls said:
every time I shut down the X64 emulator (as far back as I can remember), it seems to take close to a minute (just a guess mind you, never timed) to get back to the main GP2X menu (or GMenu2X menu).
I just tested it out on my F200, and X64 returns to the menu in less than a second for me.

OogyBoogy said:
Paul Nicholls said:
I just tested it out on my F200, and X64 returns to the menu in less than a second for me.

Strange...on mine, after executing the exit Vice menu option, vice2x menu and everything just freezes for that large amount of time before the normal/GMenu2X menu returns :(

I'm using a F100-MkII with the first firmwear (2.0.0) I believe. I had to downgrade (from 2.1.0?) to get my cradle working with USB gamepad...

The large pause has happened to me on all the firmwear versions I have tried so to date.

cheers,
Paul

Back