VICE C64

I found that going to the menu -> Drives -> True drive emulation - turn that setting off (remove the star next to it), gives awesome load times. :)

Is there any way to save .PRGs while I'm working on them in vice without using a .d64 image? In addition to that is there any way to edit the PRG in a more modern IDE?

Or any way to copy/paste the program into a text editor?

Is there any way to save .PRGs while I'm working on them in vice without using a .d64 image?
http://www.d64editor.com/Oops, sorry, misread your request. I don't know if you can save directly as .PRG without a D64 image

In addition to that is there any way to edit the PRG in a more modern IDE?

Or any way to copy/paste the program into a text editor?
What are you expecting to see in a PRG file? Because from what you've written here, I don't think it's what you're expecting.
Edit 2: This *might* help though

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm writing some simple programs in Commodore BASIC. I can save the file back onto a D64 image and go onto my PC and use C64/PRGStudio but I want to be able to take that BASIC file out and edit it on my Pandora in something a little more sensible as an IDE. I'm not sure how PRGs are formatted, so yeah maybe I'm being exceptionally niave.

I know this is a ridiculous set of needs, I'm not harboring illusions that it's possible, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I know this is a ridiculous set of needs, I'm not harboring illusions that it's possible, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
It's not ridiculous... In fact, if you grab the mono PND, you should be able to run C64 Studio I linked above on your Pandora, and I *think* that can load BASIC prg code

I've actually tried that C64Studio. It seems pretty nice, if a little buggy (I emailed the author a couple of times)

But you can indeed take a BASIC PRG file from a D64, open up the basic code, and compile it to a new PRG file for reinsertion back into the D64.

The Import File... menu in the D64 window is missing a function call, but the author said you should be able to drag/drop the file in. Whether all that will work properly via Mono, I'm not sure though, didn't get that far with my testing

Back