Vice (commodore Machines) 2.1

Finally some clues.

Its looking for libgcc_s.so.1, which appears to be missing
I took libgcc.so from my /lib and renamed is libgcc.so.1, you can either copy as is, or rename as libgcc.so and soft link with libgcc.so.1
It also up to you to try this, I really dont know what effect it will have.

pickle.gp2x.de/libgcc.zip

The file isn't missing. I looked in the /lib folder and checked it. I saved the file and replaced it with yours, but no luck. The trace is the same...

This is why I hate dynamically linked libraries. If they are part of the executable like the GP2X it is so much easier, you always get what you need and updates don't break things.

How is a dope like me that doesn't know linux supposed to keep these libraries sorted? SD cards are cheap, why bother with dynamic links? It just doesn't seem worth the hassle to me.

Dynamic linking isn't affected by new versions of a library. They don't just replace old ones and break everything like that. Dynamic linking is how it is done on desktops and it works just fine.

Peter R posted on May 22 2009 at 03:27 AM said:
Dynamic linking is how it is done on desktops and it works just fine.
Sometimes.

I have heard and have seen many problems with DLLs on PCs causing big problems. To me the advantages of a couple of mb of storage just doesn't seem worth the trouble. It is a problem for linux retards like me to manage those on my NAND. I don't have the knowledge or time to screw with that stuff. Most users just want to drag the files to the SD and go and not have to worry if their unit has the needed updated libraries, what they are named, what directory they are in, if they are upper or lower case etc. Then if you try to put the card in a friend's Wiz to show something only to find he doesn't have the needed libraries that will be real annoying. Meh. Maybe devs should give two versions in their zips one static, one dynamic and let the user decide which to use (and tif the dynamic one don't work, the choice will be easy.

Again memory cards are cheap, what is the point?

Last edited by a moderator:
All needed libs should be included into next firmware update, it will eliminate all these troubles. Hope they'll be. There is 1Gb NAND, it should be enough :)
It's very interesting what GPH guys think about this.

Plus it seems you can have shared libraries in the same folder as the game, so theres no reason we cant use them. Anyway I did try a static build and it didnt work at all

fettouhi posted on May 22 2009 at 10:50 PM said:
Am I understanding this correctly?

Regards

André
Yes.

DaveC posted on May 22 2009 at 05:54 AM said:
Peter R posted on May 22 2009 at 03:27 AM said:
Dynamic linking is how it is done on desktops and it works just fine.
Sometimes.

I have heard and have seen many problems with DLLs on PCs causing big problems. To me the advantages of a couple of mb of storage just doesn't seem worth the trouble. It is a problem for linux retards like me to manage those on my NAND. I don't have the knowledge or time to screw with that stuff. Most users just want to drag the files to the SD and go and not have to worry if their unit has the needed updated libraries, what they are named, what directory they are in, if they are upper or lower case etc. Then if you try to put the card in a friend's Wiz to show something only to find he doesn't have the needed libraries that will be real annoying. Meh. Maybe devs should give two versions in their zips one static, one dynamic and let the user decide which to use (and tif the dynamic one don't work, the choice will be easy.

Again memory cards are cheap, what is the point?
There's one cool point about it:
If the gp2x had been using dynamic libraries, most of the games and programs would run on the WIZ without recompiling :)

Also, the possibility to include those libraries within the same folder as the game makes it as flexible as possible.

Usually, dynamic linking works - and it seems there's some other problem with VICE as it doesn't work statically linked and the library is there, so it should work :)

Last edited:
I've tried the tips here (Frameskip set to 0, FastSID, DriveEmulation off) and x64 perked right up to perfect level. I've been playing Skyfox and Stealth perfectly with no issues.

I apologize if this is a basic question, but how do I set these settings as the default?

and x64 perked right up to perfect level. I've been playing Skyfox and Stealth perfectly with no issues.

I apologize if this is a basic question, but how do I set these settings as the default?
Im pretty sure when I looked and it doesnt save the settings. It should be something we should change cause it drives me nuts too.

As a workaround you can use this.

Edit the x64.gpe file:

CODE
#!/bin/sh

mount /mnt/sd -o remount,sync
./x64 -directory data/c64:data/drives -sidengine 0 -refresh 0
mount /mnt/sd -o remount,async

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

For example "-sidengine 0" refers to FastSid.

Regards,
Stephan

As a workaround you can use this.

Edit the x64.gpe file:

CODE
#!/bin/sh

mount /mnt/sd -o remount,sync
./x64 -directory data/c64:data/drives -sidengine 0 -refresh 0
mount /mnt/sd -o remount,async

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
For example "-sidengine 0" refers to FastSid.

Regards,
Stephan
Are there any other command line switches that would be useful?

Back