Ioquake2 (cpufreq)

Hey Pickle,
I've been playing through Quake 2 a bit here and there and I got to the detention center (the save game name). At the end of the map when I try to go through the door and load the next level, it kicks me back to the main menu every time.

I just wanted to mention that and see if anyone else has played it far enough to see this problem too. Thanks.

Yes, I've managed to play through the entire Detention Center section and I'm in the Mines section now. To resolve the issue you mention, do the following: bring up the Game menu, then Options, and set the sound to "Max Performance". This will effectively shut the sound off. You will then be able to go through the door to the next area no problem. You can then save at that point, turn the sound back to "Max Compatibility", quit the game, restart, and reload the saved game. The sound will come back on. Sort of a pain to do. The problem got worse and worse as I played the section. After I got the Pyramid Key, I pretty much had to have the sound turned off completely till I went though the Pyramid entrance down to where the section Boss battle takes place. Once I got into the section where you destroy the grid control, I could turn the sound back on again, and so far the Mines section has been working fine.

So there is a definite problem with memory and sounds with this game... Maybe there's something that can be done about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks forgeflow, that worked perfectly! :D

There may not be anything Pickle can do if it is a memory issue, but at least there is a workaround I can try if it happens again.

this quake2 just wont wok on my v1.10 wiz firmware whats going on

this quake2 just wont wok on my v1.10 wiz firmware whats going on
It should work fine. Have you put the pak0.pak, pak1.pak, (and possibly pak2.pak) files in the baseq2 directory? You'll need to get those files from a full install of Quake2 from a PC, Mac, or Linux. If you are stumped for that, they sell Quake2 for a very cheap price on Steam.

i have all the files but it says loading for 5 secs and then returns back to the menu screen cant figure out whats wrong

. At the end of the map when I try to go through the door and load the next level, it kicks me back to the main menu every time.

I just wanted to mention that and see if anyone else has played it far enough to see this problem too. Thanks.
can you guys try pickle.gp2x.de/ref_soft.so and see if it still happens?

I put the file re_soft.so into the folder, ran the game, and loaded a save point that I know is right at a door that causes the crash. No difference. Is this file supposed to be called ref_soft.so or is it meant to be a replacement for ref_softsdl.so and just mis-named?

I put the file re_soft.so into the folder, ran the game, and loaded a save point that I know is right at a door that causes the crash. No difference. Is this file supposed to be called ref_soft.so or is it meant to be a replacement for ref_softsdl.so and just mis-named?
ah yeah its supposed to be. I thought I was running it, but I wasnt either, hold off its not working right at the moment.

Update: ugh, i was looking at the wrong quake folder, there's an pickle.gp2x.de/ref_softsdl.so now
Maybe if anyone can provide a bad save I can solve this quicker

Update: ugh, i was looking at the wrong quake folder, there's an pickle.gp2x.de/ref_softsdl.so now
Maybe if anyone can provide a bad save I can solve this quicker
Tried it out - at first it looked like everything was golden - I was able to backtrack from the section boss area back to the prison complex with no crashes as I went from area to area... then it happened again.

Here is a save game that will show the problem:

http://planets.shacknet.nu/save14.zip

When you load the save you will be facing a door. that is a "connection" corridor from one area to another. It will work when you first go through it. Turn around, and go back through the doors to the first area. That will work too. Turn around and go through the doors to the second area again. It will crash back to the Wiz menu. Everything is dead in this game save - I backtracked from the boss back to this door to find an area that would cause the bug.

Hope this helps.

finally i got this quake 2 o work awesome but how do i add abit of overclocking now can someone help here

Just a quick question,
I've put the .pak files from the mission packs into the relevant folders (rogue/xatrix), but how do I run them.
There doesn't seem to be seperate .gpe's for the mission packs (as in Quake 1), if I need to copy & edit q2.gpe what do I have to change?
Cheers, Neil

So....how would one go about adding Godmode to this game. :)

I've grown frustrated with the dpad that always goes right when I'm only pressing up or down and knocking me off of ledges, plunging me to my death. :)

If I remember correctly, god mode will not help you in those places. You'll still fall off the ledge into the burning lava put, but instead of dieing you'll just be able to walk around it and find out there's no way out other than to turn off the god mode :(

No, it wouldn't help any in the lava areas but the parts I am in now just have large drops into fans and grinders or just long drops to earlier parts of the level. This is where I would like to be invincible. :)

I've managed to play all the way through the upper mines section of the game, and the dreaded "crash as you go through a door" bug has not shown up at all in that section. It's not all that surprising - the levels in this part of the game are smaller, more compact, and less detailed, and there are fewer, but tougher enemies, so I think the memory footprint of that part of the game is better on the Wiz than were the sprawling, detailed, and enemy rich Detention Center levels.

Woo Hoo! I've finished the game all the way to the end. I had to turn the sound off to finish getting through the "Lower Palace" levels - they were OK to start out with, but as I opened up more and more of the level, it got more and more crash prone (the crash as you go through a linking door one). Once I got to the "Inner Chambers" I could turn the sound on and was able to finish the game from that point on. This is no suprise - the Inner Chambers and the final Space Station level aren't all that complex, design wise, and have few enemies.

In summary, I have to say, great port, the playing experience was mostly excellent. It may or may not be possible to fix this remaining bug, but it is possible to play the game, with videos, all the way from beginning to end, even if I never did figure out a way to read the "computer updates" :p .

There is an awful level, late in the game, where you have to do a bunch of hops from moving platforms to get across a room and hit a couple of buttons and then get on a platform that takes you up to the walkway above. I was on a third or fourth attempt across the room, and just made the final hop onto the last moving block when the screen went black. OH NO! I thought, another bug!. Then the message flashed on the screen -- "EMPTY" -- and the Wiz shut down. I'd been playing so intently I had run the battery down. :lol:

I think I'll play Quake from start to finish now.

Back