Vice2x V1.21 Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
The Vice Team released a new version of Vice. Of course, also the gp2x-Port has been updated :)

c64.png

Vice is an emulator for CBMs, meaning: the classic Commodore palette, ranging from the VIC20 to the C128.

I guess the most importand for you is the C64-Part :)
Here are the changes of the C64 part. All changes can be found on the official homepage.ingesehen werden.

** C64 changes
--------------

- Added MMC64 support.
- Added digimax support.
- Added Action Replay III support.
- Improved compatibility of TFE emulation.

Download: Vice2x v1.21
Homepage: http://www.viceteam.org/

This is just great, I've been meaning to get some C64 action on the GP2X, and this seems just the time for it. Commando Lybia here I come >;)

- Alex

Hopefully those annoying pauses every 2-3 seconds are gone from this version: if not it's back to trusty Frodo for my C64 needs. :(

*EDIT*
Nope still there.

/me goes back to Frodo.

jbrodack posted on Mar 12 2007 at 12:43 AM said:
vice is great for c64 just wish it was faster or at least had other overclocking options besides 200 and 250.

Can't you run it from gmenu2x or a script with whatever clock speed you want? Or does it reset the speed once it loads?

Last edited by a moderator:
A new version of VICE and no fix on the 64 emulation pauses? What a shame that is. :(

The Vic version still has that sound bug as well. (The noise register is incorrect)

Here's hoping for V1.22! :p

Lobo posted on Mar 11 2007 at 09:05 PM said:
Hopefully those annoying pauses every 2-3 seconds are gone from this version: if not it's back to trusty Frodo for my C64 needs. :(

*EDIT*
Nope still there.

/me goes back to Frodo.

GunPei2X posted on Mar 12 2007 at 02:58 PM said:
jbrodack posted on Mar 12 2007 at 12:43 AM said:
vice is great for c64 just wish it was faster or at least had other overclocking options besides 200 and 250.

Can't you run it from gmenu2x or a script with whatever clock speed you want? Or does it reset the speed once it loads?
Yes you can use gmenu2x for overclocking. Highly recommended.

imhotep posted on Mar 12 2007 at 08:04 AM said:
Yes you can use gmenu2x for overclocking. Highly recommended.

Does it have command line support? I haven't been successful starting a program with Vice directly from gmenu2x yet.

Was auto frameskip in the previous version? And it looks like the screen gamma has been adjusted. What used to be hard to read blue start screen for the C64 now looks good to me.

I've been testing @ 200Mhz use frameskip: auto. I generally get really good results.

However, if I load one of my favourites, Impossible Mission, I get this odd lag at the start and the FPS counter is ticking over at like 4-5FPS for the first 10-20 or so seconds. Then, miraculously, it will fix itself and it will jump to the full 50FPS without me doing anything! Odd. Is this why the default frameskip is set to 1? I know the C64 is fairly complex 8-bit computer to emulate - I'd even say the most demanding of all the 8-bit computers as it was the most powerful with it custom hardware, so I guess it's doing a pretty good job.

I'd have to agree with the above, a few extra CPU clock ratings other than 166, 200 and 250 would be great!

The only other suggestion I can think of would be the implementation of optimized RAM Timings if possible - specially for those who don't use Gmenu2X.

Otherwise nice work! Thanks for the update, always highly appreciated!

The problem is, that VICE has to emulate 2 computers at the same time, the C64 and the 1541, the standard floppy-drive which is unless the PC ones, an "intelligent" drive with it's own CPU (similar to the one in the C64).. So, everytime you load something from disc it's normal, that the speed slows down.
Just for the unlucky ones who never had a C64...

QuasaR posted on Mar 13 2007 at 10:09 AM said:
The problem is, that VICE has to emulate 2 computers at the same time, the C64 and the 1541... that the speed slows down.
Well, yes and no. You can switch this off - it's one of the options. My understanding is that you only need to emulate the 1541 for heavily protected disks.
The 1541 only had a 6502 and 2K of RAM. The 6502 is relatively easy to emulate as it's a simple CPU.
I like Vice2X, I think it's a great emulator and I'm totally having fun playing all those C64 games I used to love playing in the good old days.

Can anyone recommend any C64 games which draws sprites and stuff in the borders? Apart from the flashy loader screens, I can't recall anything that did this, though I know there was. That's why the "scaled" mode is available, right?

The other thing which would be cool with this emulator would be a means of remapping keyboard/joystick commands. I have a hankering to play Elite again (yes I played the C64 version).

slaanesh posted on Mar 12 2007 at 11:00 PM said:
The only other suggestion I can think of would be the implementation of optimized RAM Timings if possible - specially for those who don't use Gmenu2X.

I think this is highly unoptimised. If it was more optimised it should run fullspeed at 200 MHz without the sound glitches and pauses. I think it is mostly PC code ported without much in the way of GP2X specific optimisation.

DaveC posted on Mar 13 2007 at 03:39 AM said:
slaanesh posted on Mar 12 2007 at 11:00 PM said:

I think this is highly unoptimised. If it was more optimised it should run fullspeed at 200 MHz without the sound glitches and pauses. I think it is mostly PC code ported without much in the way of GP2X specific optimisation.

Yeah - that's the feeling I always get, too... They really need to add the 'up/forward' button to one of the pads (like Frodo does). Most racers and platformers are very awkward without this option even with a D-pad mod.

I always set it to 250 Mhz and (once the game has loaded) disable 1541 emulation and the external devices (?) option (just above or below it - can't remember). Always use fastsid and there shouldn't be many glitches. Mayhem and Wizball work fine with this method :)

[edit] Is there *actually* any difference from the last version, that anyone can tell of?..

I think, GP2x wise there's no real change. The 1.21 version was "just" ported from the unix sources, which was released these days, too.
I don't think that VICE will be some day fullspeed with 200Mhz, because the way it's designed, it's too slow. Frodo will be there, but that's done upon compatibility as one can see.

Can't try this out yet, but hopefully the menu now pauses the emulation, as in Frodo, I've been suggesting that for ages and it would certainly improve the usability on the move dramatically...!

Seems like only a small change but it is GP2X specific, rather than part of the core project...

®

Back