Vice2x

Really getting good now - am still enjoying the old CBM machines and the pc engine and haven't found time to try anything else yet. That says something for your great port of Vice.

Thanks again for bringing back the Vic20.

Best Regards,
Ian

Wonderful Snaff! Thanks a trillion!

I am sensitive in the ways of the force, and I have a very sinking suspicion that vic20-ian likes the Vic 20.

Do we have a WHATSNEW? I'm still experiencing problems with the EA stuff - is everything new readily apparent in the UI?

Thanks for the update bro!!

How does the C64 speed and sound quality compare to frodo?

Also it there a way to display unscaled like frodo? All the pics on that site show it scaled and it doesn't look too good.

How does the C64 speed and sound quality compare to frodo?

Also it there a way to display unscaled like frodo? All the pics on that site show it scaled and it doesn't look too good.

It displays unscaled as default and can be changed on the config menu to give all the lovely borders.

This is needed on the Vic as the unscaled view misses off the first and last columns of text :(

Snaff - is there a way to get the vic to display like the C64 unscaled view - i.e. top and bottom border but all text columns with no side borders.

Scaled mode is fine for games like Myriad and others which use expanded screen mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful Snaff! Thanks a trillion!

I am sensitive in the ways of the force, and I have a very sinking suspicion that vic20-ian likes the Vic 20.

Deep breathing is heard - "......code with me on the Vic20 and together we can rule as father and son" (er ooops too much Star Wars and Vic20)

Haunting voice of the Mum force "Darth Mater" is heard drifting through a 20 year timeslip ".....Ian - come out of that bedroom and away from the screen your eyes will be square - come and get some fresh air in the garden"

- goes outside for 20 seconds, eyes stream with hayfever, returns inside :p

The drive emulation is now working very well on C64, it successfully loads up a .d64 I created on a real C64 with a action replay or final cartridge loader that would refuse to run on lesser emulators.

Can we load carts into the vic20 emu yet? ie: Define where in ROM address space they laod to, since some need to go to 0xA000 while others go to 0xD000 etc?

jeff

The drive emulation is now working very well on C64, it successfully loads up a .d64 I created on a real C64 with a action replay or final cartridge loader that would refuse to run on lesser emulators.

How is the speed and sound compared to Frodo? I really don't care too much about Vic-20 so unless C-64 is better I will stick with Frodo. If this runs better I will switch to this.

I fired itup, and vic20 cart attachment does actually work (sort of); I got Cosmic Cruncher and a few others to go, but a bunch didn't go. Still, good stuff.. perhaps VICE vic20 doesn't support those carts, or perhaps the attachment routine onlyt works for the one address bank..

jeff

How is the speed and sound compared to Frodo? I really don't care too much about Vic-20 so unless C-64 is better I will stick with Frodo. If this runs better I will switch to this.

Dave - The compatability and speed are supposed to be better (Snaff says they are) but to be honest I haven't used Frodo since GP32.

Don't write off the Vic20 until you try out some of the better games - Jeff Minter of Llamasoft thinks the Vic20 3.5k versions of some of his games are better than the C64 versions including sound effects.

Myriad is still an excellent multi level, multi alien type, expanded screen, great sounding blaster. If you love Astro Blaster or Gorf on Mame try Myriad on expanded Vic20.

Star Defence is a great Defender / Stargate game on 16k Vic. Destroy the 10 men and blow up the planet and try and survive the mutants for 3 waves. Then try again on the fast version of the game selected by presing F7 before start.

Aside from the failure to load EA games (I know, I'm a broken record, but the squeaky wheel gets the greasin') which occurs on Frodo as well anyway - VICE is just as good speed, compatibility and UI wise as Frodo - and is actually MORE compatible in many cases (which is why I've always used it on the PC over Frodo).

Aside from the failure to load EA games (I know, I'm a broken record, but the squeaky wheel gets the greasin') which occurs on Frodo as well anyway - VICE is just as good speed, compatibility and UI wise as Frodo - and is actually MORE compatible in many cases (which is why I've always used it on the PC over Frodo).
EA games are a bitch. I use an older PC as a slave for a C64 (using 1541emu which has microsecond adjustment) and the loaders on those games are very hairy to get working right. :angry:

So I'm not surprised that emulators cough up on them.

If I remember right EA games had some kind of fast loader that is probably tricky to get working right, it would be great to get a working Racing Destruction Set, that game was a fave of mine. I have yet to try any of the C64 emulators even though that was my primary computer growing up, I guess I'll have to fire up the Vice2x port one of these days. I also had a VIC20 for a little bit before I got my C64 with the help of some of the money I made on my paper route. I even bought a C128 much later and two of the 3 1/2 inch floppy drives (all total used for like 50 bucks), I don't think I even tried any of the CPM or C128 programs I got when I bought it, it came with a bunch of programs, I just went back to using my old C64 faves until the floppy disks started to die on me and then it all went into the closet.

Back