Video Of The Mk0 Pandora Case

EvilDragon said:
quartercast said:
Remember: people will be playing with the :pandora1: for HOURS and HOURS! Please make sure you get the ergonomics right. I think that even ED's latest render looks too angular to be comfortable for extended gameplay. I see very few curves in this device, that worries me.

Sure it looks too angular - since it's based on the MK0 case which IS the one here which is still too angular ;)

Not feeling it dog, looks fine to me. Maybe it's my hands like a gorilla.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to go ahead and complain about the shininess, too. How difficult would it be to get a finish like on the nice Logitech wireless controllers for PS2 (and I suppose PS3/Xbox)?

closetwam said:
I would also prefer a matte finish to a glossy one. It's so much easier to look at when the screen is the only thing shining.
Couldn't agree with you more.

And on the subject of shiny looking cheap: It's true, there are very few instances where you can use shiny and NOT make something look cheap. These few instances in which it doesn't look cheap are almost always when the material is metal, not plastic.

-God Ginrai

craigix said:
No, the battery is in the bottom, the top just isn't streamlined yet.
Ah, good. The lid from the Video was more like a brick. :lol:
It would be good, if the lid has a different Design than a NDS lite Lid. A little bit more rounded or a embossed PANDORA logo ontop or something like this. A user from our german board had suggested this:

"THIS IS NOT A DS!" ;)

http://forum.gp2x.de/download/file.php?id=10

says everything :D

If we're going for Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy references, i'd rather have 42 on the back of mine. On that topic, if there were a logo/something on the back, should it be a sticker or engraved?

I'd like matte, but not an extremely dull matte. Somewhere in between shiny and matte (leaning towards matte) would be nice. It'll probably end up being more like this on the actual cases as opposed to the rapid prototyping models.

You can't polish scratches out of a matte finish and you tend to have 'shiny' bits around the controls where your fingers have rubbed it so much :p.

EvilDragon said:
quartercast said:
Remember: people will be playing with the :pandora1: for HOURS and HOURS! Please make sure you get the ergonomics right. I think that even ED's latest render looks too angular to be comfortable for extended gameplay. I see very few curves in this device, that worries me.

Sure it looks too angular - since it's based on the MK0 case which IS the one here which is still too angular ;)

OK - thanks for clarifying that. Nobody else here seems to listen, and I was afraid of it being a case (no pun intended) of "Told you so!" once the Mk1 units were made.

So do you guys have any idea of the case changes from :pandora1: Mk0 -> :pandora1: Mk1?

Orkie said:
You can't polish scratches out of a matte finish and you tend to have 'shiny' bits around the controls where your fingers have rubbed it so much :p.
You can't polish them out of shiny finishes either, unless it's leather.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
If we put something other than the Pandora Logo on the back, it should be: "Don't Panic"
-God Ginrai

magicman5421 said:
If we're going for Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy references, i'd rather have 42 on the back of mine.
Shouldn't It be:
"Don't tell him, Pike"?
:p

God Ginrai said:
Orkie said:
You can't polish them out of shiny finishes either, unless it's leather.

-God Ginrai

???? Ever bought jewelry before?

The more I watch the video the more I love the look of the Pandora. I've been excited about this for some time, but this has really knocked my interest into overdrive. I think the case really looks great, and professional. It's a hell of a piece of design work gentlemen. Thank you all so much.

p B)

Another vote for matte.

Maybe something like the Sega Nomad.

pspnomadsj7.jpg

Esn said:
Another vote for matte.

pspnomadsj7.jpg
I was going to say how bad of an idea that was because I always associate my Nomad with huge bulky things (for some reason >_>) and the Pandora is this sleek, 'tiny' thing, but I pulled my Nomad out, and the matte is perfect. And, actually, if you look hard enough, it has two different "grades" of matte, too. Either would work, but the matte on the face of the system seems best.

I don't even care what it looks like, shiny-cheap, or plasticky-matte-cheap, I'll be getting one. So long as it can withstand a lot of drool.

Esn said:
Another vote for matte.

pspnomadsj7.jpg
Yes, the Nomad matte would be a nice matte. Also, Nomad pad is the best Dpad EVER.

-God Ginrai

Matt black would be great, especialy if it has the nice rubberiesed coating. i'm looking around and apart from the body shell of my Logitech MX518 and my Iriver H320 (nice carbon fiber weave glossy case) every electronic item I own is Matt plastic, brushed steel or brushed Aluminium

Back