Video Problems

Tactical Fart

Still Fresh
I tried to convert a dvd rip to avi using AutoGK, but towards the end of the file, the video and auto seem to "unsync" by a fraction of a second, making the audio sooner than the video. Am I using the converter wrong?

Hi usually I use virtualdub, these are the specs i use

filters----
320x240 frame resize
de-interlace blend

compression----
xvid codec = 7

For sound i usually compress down to

22050hz mpeg layer 3

with these settings you can make great quality videos usually taking up about 200 to 300mb for a movie and they look great on the gp2x.

please sometimes when you load a video in virtualdub it will warn you basically the audio will be out of sync best to save the wav of the video and then use it back for final processing of video.

maybe the source audio is vbr, that can cause problems in some cases.
Demux the video and convert the audio to cbr.

Vimacs posted on Dec 1 2006 at 01:00 AM said:
maybe the source audio is vbr, that can cause problems in some cases.
Demux the video and convert the audio to cbr.
The ripped one or the converted one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the source, once the files are out of sync manual modifications are needed.

Besides, it seems logical.

Well, the ripped one is perfect. It's just when I use AutoGK on the rip (which was made by the almighty dvd decrypter) that the output .avi comes out of sync towards the end, and it begins to look like an imported kung fu movie (except the sound occurs before the lips move...)

Let's try this. The video is The Fresh Prince of Bell Air, season 3, disk one. The first disk is a little over 2 hours long and is currently my target. The rip is PERFECT. What are the recommended settings I should set to GK that will make my output .avi more acceptable and my balding less progressive? I doubt the problem is in GK, but in how I program it.

At the moment I am merely trying to refine and understand the process. I SUCK at this, and have very little idea what I'm doing wrong. Sorry if I'm beginning to sound like a pest.

I think Vimacs is correct about the VBR audio, but even so, there are a few things to consider.

AutoGK is not necessarily the best tool for this specific kind of ripping. AutoGK will always try to make the best quality file for a given file size - but the GP2X has fair modest requirements. Therefore, a picture size of larger than 320x240 is wasted. Any larger, and your gp2x will have to resize on the fly, consuming more cpu cycles and battery power. Over time during playback, this can introduce the kind of drag you are talking about, where the picture seems to lag behind the audio.

Also think about bitrates. Because of the small size of the image (320x240), bitrates over 170-200kps are unnecessary, and can also introduce lag because of the processor overhead of decoding high quality video.

VBR audio does sound the best, but is not "standard". If the header of the AVI is not correctly written to allow VBR, it can be interpreted as CBR, resulting in bizarre and massive lags over time.

If you are determined to use AutoGK, I would advise you to override most of AutoGK's default settings (use CTRL-F9 to get into the nuts and bolts). Hard set the image size, specify CBR audio, and limit the bitrate to around 200kps. All of which renders the point of AutoGK null - this programme is for producing the highest quality AVIs to fit on a certain number of CDs, not for transcoding down for portable devices.

gp2xuser23 is on the right track, and I'd urge you to follow his advice. However, if what you like about AutoGK is the simplicity of the interface, then why not try a different ripper?

DVDFabDecryptor is an attractive package that can rip from DVD straight down to portable formats with a single click, though it is not free. DVDx is an excellent free tool, though slightly more complicated, that can do the job without even copying the DVD to your hard drive first. I used it to prep my Farscape discs for the GP2X, and it was painless.

Both of the above tools are less complicated than learning VirtualDub and neither requires you to rip the disc first.

Good luck

Back