video recording in mplayer

joachim

I use to record tv in mplayer when I have time to do by hand so I can start some minutes earlier and stop a bit later because the given time is not always correct. But for recordings at night I used kaffeine with the schedule.
Now I have problems when sometimes start/stop is not what EPG is showing. So there is something missing at
the beginning or end. How can I start and stop mplayer at wanted times ? Start is no problem with at command but how to stop when I don't know the PID? Or can I get PID somehow by script when mplayer is running.
Mplayer also will not need as much resources as kaffeine.

Thanks for help

Joachim

In the at command enter:

mplayer <whatever options you want> &
pid=$!
sleep <how many seconds to wait>
kill $pid

Don't forget the "&"

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and works so far. I also found killall and so can stop mplayer without the PID. What I want to do is a script with start and stop time e.g. record starttime stoptime. So far I get with KAlarm for starting a script record stoptime.
at hh::mm killall mplayer is not working so I use at hh:mm -f kill where kill is a file with the line
just killall mplayer that works. Is it possible to start a script with at ? I can't get it to work.
I can try a script with uses record sleepseconds stoptime .

so this is it for now

#!/bin/bash
# for recording and stopping after set time then convert to mp4
# start as aufnahme HH:MM where HH:MM is stop time

cd ~/Videos
echo $1
#call file with does killall mplayer at set time
at $1 -f ~/Videos/kill
#mplayer Hello.mp4
mplayer -dumpstream dvb://arte -dumpfile tati.mpg

nice ffmpeg -i infile -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -c:a mp2 -b:a 96k -b:v 450k -c:v mpeg4 outfile
echo "fertig"

@joachim: have you tried
Code:
echo "/bin/bash ~/CODE/myscript.sh" |at 01:01

note: need to use paths, output files also need to have a path, or you need to cd to your working directory first.

If you need to feed the pipe composite information, then use (), like so:

Code:
(echo "hello";V="world";echo "$V") |xargs echo

also:

you can do it in less scripts, for example, run mplayer with & and fetch the PID with $! as @lukey said, then schedule a kill with at, meanwhile use the command "wait", to wait for the command with an & to end (which ends by that killall), you can then run the ffmpeg line. Should work from a single script...

Last edited:
@FBnil : thanks for the tip. The echo version seems not to work, but I found something for the stop
time that works: (when calling the script with hh:mm I have the stoptime for at)
mplayer ~/Videos/Hello.mp4 &
pid=$!
at $1 <<< "kill $pid"
Now I can use KAlarm to start the script; it seems at cant start scripts. Or is it possible ?

edit :

I found in internet the echo versions works,but if you want to see the output you have to

echo "/bin/bash progname > $(tty)" | at hh:mm and all seems fine. But when I want to play video I have no
output.

trying goes on

Last edited:
Back