Virtualeech - I Need You Desperately! Vns Help Pls

Yeah, it should be possible in Fenix, too.

Like skeezix says.

I offer you to have a look at this after the gbax compo ends (too much work before) if it can be (easily?) done in Fenix.

I`m always glad if I can help.

Just a quick question:
You are using v1.1, right?
He fixed some variable bugs there... just asking, could be you're using v1.0...

Don't lose heart Grebn!
You've got the best support team on the 'net right behind you!
Tthere's plenty of talented and helpful members who can get you through this problem.
And take your time, I reckon this'll be a fantastic game when it's all fixed up.

I think VirtuaLeech got dismayed at the lack of interest for VNS... too bad he left after something big came out of it! (Other than hentai games, heh)

With random combat, perhaps you're better to move to another engine, but obviously it would be ideal if he responded. At least PM him so if he checks the forum again he'll be notified.

For the time being, I've worked out what I'm going to do - I'm going to take Tarka's advice and split the game into two separate programs, using a password system to start the second (the password will depend on what items you've collected during the half). This will free up a lot of memory, make the game run quicker and halve the loading time. You can feel the strain that the sheer size of the program puts on VNS.

Tarka - you hit the nail on the head! unfortunately the amount of graphics and sound don't make a difference to the amount of memory you have because they're stored in a separate ZIP file. Its just the size of the program that dictates what is left over.

It is V1.1 I'm using.

Cheers all for the support you lot - very heartening!

Paul

Right - I've put the password system in. Its a bit of a pain, having to grab a pen and paper half way through, but there you go. It knocks loading time down from 64 seconds to 22 seconds, and speeds up scene access while playing. It also gives over double the amount of spare memory so, while a memory leak crash will still occur, it will almost certainly not happen in the time it takes to have a full game.

I should have probably done this in the first place.

Hi Grebn,

Yipeee! - I'm going to get to see the game after all

Glad you have been able to split it - perhaps I should make myself a new job -Programmers Trouble shooter - I used to work in the RAF and we had to do what was called 'Battle Field Damage Repairs' to Helicopters - Basically get the damn thing into the air any way you can - (without risking lives) - It gets you thinking in how to get around the problem rather than fix it.

so my new title will be

Tarka 'BFDR advisor'

good luck with the game compo :D

So now your problem is done?

One last question, how much data is there when everything is uncompressed from the zip file (pictures, music and what else is in there...)

I'd say the problem is sorted - the password thing is a bit of a pain, but the benefits outweigh it greatly. The speed increase during the game is really noticeable.

Most of the data stays inside a zipped file which is accessed by the VNS gamefile. The total size of the download is just about 2.7 mb, which for a couple of hundred illustrations and two pieces of music is quite agreeable, I reckon!

Can you please send me the source fo the old VNS that wsn't split to me.

I've got v1.2 from VL he made a few bug fixes for me when i was to release my Hentai game (yes it's still coming it's all finished just testing it)

VL left cause he got board of the gp32 and life so it wasn't anything to do with the vns not being used.

It did get used for my 2 releases and 1 other story but thats about it.

Anyway send me the orignal code before the password if you could and i'll see what i can do.

:ph34r:

Hi Nin Nin (can't find hats on my keyboard!)

Cheers for your help - just out of interest, does VNS 1.2 allow you to increase and decrease variables by more than 1 at a time? And does it let you add one variable to another?

I thought a command like ADDVAR=a,3 (adding 3 to a, for example) would have been a good addition.

So do you want me to send you the whole game to look at? I worked out that it is accumulative memory leaking that causes it to crash, so unless V1.2 addresses that, I'll probably stick with splitting the code into two separate programs and linking them with a password.

Grebn posted on May 14 2005 at 09:50 PM said:
Hi Nin Nin (can't find hats on my keyboard!)

Cheers for your help - just out of interest, does VNS 1.2 allow you to increase and decrease variables by more than 1 at a time? And does it let you add one variable to another?

I thought a command like ADDVAR=a,3 (adding 3 to a, for example) would have been a good addition.

So do you want me to send you the whole game to look at? I worked out that it is accumulative memory leaking that causes it to crash, so unless V1.2 addresses that, I'll probably stick with splitting the code into two separate programs and linking them with a password.

Im not sure he did a few fixes for me and found a few bugs and fixed them so im not sure what he fixed.

BTW The email you posted in this thread is useless and Pm him on this board is useless cause he doesn't check it and the email about a pm on this board goes to the unused email account.

send the files to me and i'll see if it's been fixed or not.

Also witht he memory leak couldnt you get the user to save the location then gen them to reset?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been in greece for a week and just found this thread now.

Did anything work out, what happend? When can we play this awesome game? :D
I dont mind writing down any password to continue.

Back