Release VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2 updated

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I just had half an hour of free time, so I grabbed the already existing VisualBoyAdvance, included notaz' hardware SDL, different scaling options and picklelauncher.

As it uses hardware scaling, you can set the filtermode before running the PND as you like (blurred or non-blurred).

GameBoy and GameBoy Color run fullspeed at 500MHz, GBA is slow - better use gpsp for it.

Enjoy :)

Download: VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2.1

Even though I can't use it till I get my 2nd batcher, good work as always. I'm looking forward to giving your ports a try.

Even though I can't use it till I get my 2nd batcher, good work as always. I'm looking forward to giving your ports a try.

Same here. And I have a tonne of my old Gameboy and Gameboy Colour games I can't wait to play on my Pandora when it gets here in Two Months!

Relieved that I won't need to overclock to get them to run at full speed too because I'm a bit scared of reducing my Pandora's life span when it arrives, it's gotta last me through University!

ED, is porting programs really as easy as altering ./config parameters (assuming dependencies are satisfied)?

ED, is porting programs really as easy as altering ./config parameters (assuming dependencies are satisfied)?

thats one of the best things about pandora, its so close to a real pc (well it is) that things most of the time just need to be compiled. It doesnt need the usually hacks GPH stuff needs.

thats one of the best things about pandora, its so close to a real pc (well it is) that things most of the time just need to be compiled. It doesnt need the usually hacks GPH stuff needs.

I can't wait to contribute to this system. Seriously. I'm not a programmer, but I know my way around compilers. All I need to do once I get my Pandora is find out how the whole library/dependency thing works on it. That's probably in the wiki or something, though.

Thank you for the latest relase of VBA1.7.2.! It works very well with Picklelauncher which looks nicely and works great!

The button mapping could be improved though:

# page up/ page down on the game control buttons on the right side can't be used to browse files in Picklelauncher atm. Instead only the on-screen buttons work but I would prefer not to use the touchscreen at all: the buttons are that small and close together that they are hard to tap with my thick fingers :)

# I also find it puzzeling which game control button does 'open folder' and 'folder back'. You have to try to find out and I happen to push the wrong button every now and then, which is annoying. Using 'Return' and 'Delete' would be very intuitive, don't you think?

# Starting a game can only be done by touching the "Start" button on screen, why not allow the real Pandora start button as well?

Please take my 'advice' as a suggestion to make an already excellent launcher even better. Thanks again to all who were involved in making this .pnd happen ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the latest relase of VBA1.7.2.! It works very well with Picklelauncher which looks nicely and works great!

The button mapping could be improved though:

# page up/ page down on the game control buttons on the right side can't be used to browse files in Picklelauncher atm. Instead only the on-screen buttons work but I would prefer not to use the touchscreen at all: the buttons are that small and close together that they are hard to tap with my thick fingers :)

# I also find it puzzeling which game control button does 'open folder' and 'folder back'. You have to try to find out and I happen to push the wrong button every now and then, which is annoying. Using 'Return' and 'Delete' would be very intuitive, don't you think?

# Starting a game can only be done by touching the "Start" button on screen, why not allow the real Pandora start button as well?

Please take my 'advice' as a suggestion to make an already excellent launcher even better. Thanks again to all who were involved in making this .pnd happen ;)

Thanks for the feedback, seems it hard to get any these days sometimes

Take a look at the config.txt there should be options to assign any key to any action.

Maybe I should add a help button that loads a screen showing the current key maps

Thanks for the feedback, seems it hard to get any these days sometimes

Take a look at the config.txt there should be options to assign any key to any action.

Maybe I should add a help button that loads a screen showing the current key maps

Making it customizable with just a click would be nice, Pickle. I think most ppl could be fine with the type of standard settings that I suggested, so that could suffice maybe?

Howdy Ed, hope you are feeling better - i'm also recovering from a pretty nasty bout of Flu, so you have my sympathy..

Quick question, what if any benefit does this have over gbapsp, more accurate/compatability, screen filters? i mean as far as i'm aware it doesn't currently support Golden Sun 1 & 2 etc, is this a wip?

Howdy Ed, hope you are feeling better - i'm also recovering from a pretty nasty bout of Flu, so you have my sympathy..

Quick question, what if any benefit does this have over gbapsp, more accurate/compatability, screen filters? i mean as far as i'm aware it doesn't currently support Golden Sun 1 & 2 etc, is this a wip?
From what I've seen (ED video) it supports Golden Sun 1 pretty well on the Pandora. I've heard the same about 2 though.

I've been playing Golden Sun 1 at 900MHz. There is some slowdown on the world map and occasionally in the battle scenes, but otherwise it's full speed. Without overclocking, it is very slow.

So I guess I'll use that, then. Problem is, most homebrew doesn't work on it. :( (But at least Super Star Shooter Advance does!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back