Vivaldi Browser (The REAL Opera is back ?!) O_O

I'll have to try this out later, looks good, I use Opera Next as my usual browser

I loved Opera.

But now I switched to Palemoon on all my systems.

What do they think how often I change my browser? With Palemoon I will have at least Firefox as "fallback", when Palemoon is not developed anymore. How long will Vivaldi exist? Until they realize, that they can't make money?

I came to opera because of my netbook. Opera had the best zoom experience, a mail client (I had only a 4 GB SSD, so I didn't want to have too much installed) and it run quite fast.

But the recent progressions made me change. Furthermore I don't use the netbook anymore.

Now I am happier than ever. Furthermore my browser is free software finally. ;)

Maybe you were using just the simple functions that any browser have.

In my case I heavily personalized Opera 12, and I just can't find another browser able to do everything I normally do with this...

for example I tried Firefox, I added like 35 plugins just to have the basic functions Opera 12 has, but using like 600Mb more RAM for a page... and also in the last versions I had to add a "not show images" button WITH A PLUGIN !! And I didn't even searched a simple way to disable webfonts or using custom CSS for pages... Damn, they are removing everything...

In Opera 12 you can modify almost every single menu entry of the interface from a text file, (you want a "edit this page with that unknown editor" choice when you right click a page ? here you go, or "send this link to the pandora to download" while surfing from the PC) and you can also have different profiles for keyboard or mouse shortcuts... you can filter all the links in a page and download them all, integrated adblock, integrated html/scripts/styles debugger and I can go on forever...  It just don't need PLUGINS

Anyway Vivaldi Browser is just another Chromium child, so it will never be so customizable, or made with primitive functions that can be combined to create complex macros, but I have fate in the ones that made Opera great, maybe they will be able to think about something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you were using just the simple functions that any browser have.
  • Mail Client
  • Notes
  • Speed Dial
  • Synchronization of Notes/Speed Dial/Bookmarks
  • Mouse gestures
  • Themes
  • Some Addons
?
I did use a lot of opera only features. It was hard to find an alternative for everything. Sometimes the alternative is not as good as it was with opera. But it works and I got new features opera didn't provide like

• Synchronization with my own server (if I want to)
  • More Addons
  • Better compatibility with some websites
  • Free browser

You know, the funny thing is that everyone liked Opera for the most different reasons...

except for Notes and Speed Dial, the things you listed were just not useful to me... I particularly hated the mouse gestures thing with it's pop-up pie menu and was the first thing I disabled, never used even the Mail client, I like to have a dedicated tool for that, but anyway it isn't heavy for the browser to have also that integrated function, so I don't mind too much...

when they included Opera Link i tried it once and never activated again, when I tried to connect to it with Opera Mini it deleted my entire bookmark list on the phone without asking... also, after a year I had to reinstall Opera on the PC and it automatically connected to Link with the password saved a year before, and again it destroyed my entire bookmark/speed dial lists... luckily I had backups that time...

Sync and speed dial are two  things that I use from Ziz's list, but I think many browsers offer those.  For me "old" Opera offers a good set of features and customization while functioning better for me than Firefox.  On my Pandora I use both Pale Moon and Otter, however Firefox is largely useless to me there. 

I tried Vivaldi on a Windows box yesterday, and initially I liked it.  While messing around a bit more it seems it may not be as light as I prefer, and compared to firefox.  I will keep an eye on it, since the current offering is a tech demo.

It is only an alternative to FireFox for me when custom themes and inverted colors are possible.

Else it will hurt my eyes when using, especially in dark places.

I agree with you on the hurting of eyes since I spend a lot of time browsing in the dark.  Still, firefox is only a "good enough" alternative for me.  I prefer not to add a ton of stuff to get things how I like them.  Lately even Opera on Linux isn't working out so well for me, so maybe I should look a little closer at the alternatives.  Maybe Pale Moon will work out better for me across the board. 

It is only an alternative to FireFox for me when custom themes and inverted colors are possible.

Else it will hurt my eyes when using, especially in dark places.
I didn't even know you could invert colours with Opera, at least not automaticly. I guess it's impossible to invert every website in a way that really only affects text and background and nothing else. Would be cool though.

Many browsers are now able to use personalized styles for pages, but Opera 12 has a list of predefined ones that you can just turn on and off and combine them when you want.

Actually the oldest versions had a lot more of them but many were removed because they was not so useful... anyway I miss the one that was showing all pages as green text on a black terminal, it was awesome

I'm playing with Vivaldi, and it seems really cool even in beta stage !!

The things that I'm loving for now are:

1) The installer can generate a portable version of the program !! (Just choose the advanced installation)

2) The portable version has just 1 folder with everything, and just a text file containing the location of the profile folder !!! So you just have 1 directory with the program and 1 with all your configuration and navigation history !! (I added it to PortableApps menu without issues)

3) The default options were already just perfect for me !! For example it asks were to save every file you download (I hated the chrome/firefox way of downloading everything in the default folder without asking)

4) The zoom bar and the button to hide images were already in the interface !! And it has almost all the configuration settings of Opera 12 for the interface!!

5) The panel with notes is there, and it works exactly like in Opera 12, so you can even add web panels and all

The first impression is great for me, as an old Opera 12 lover I found myself at home.

There are still some things missing, or maybe I still don't know where them are, like the configuration settings for single domains, or disabling webfonts... but the "Vivaldi://flags" is full of activable functionalities to try out

I still have to look at RAM usage and all anyway, but the speed seems equal to Chrome

EDIT: It is identifying itself as "Chrome 45"

EDIT: also everytime I search someting using the address bar it uses a "vivaldi.rocks" domain... anyway this seems to happens only when using Bing as a websearch engine (the default one)

Switched to it on my Linux machine as well. Even Netflix works (once you change the user agent), really nice browser :)

Switched to it on my Linux machine as well. Even Netflix works (once you change the user agent), really nice browser :)

How do you changed it ? using the plugin, or with a setting I still didn't found ?

I hope to find somewhere something like the old plain text configuration files, for now I'm seeing that the interface is actually an html page itself, full of javascripts and CSS sheets, it is not yet so user friendly to modify it, but it is doable with just a text editor :)  

I hated the chrome/firefox way of downloading everything in the default folder without asking

In Chrome, under Settings/Advanced there's a checkbox under Downloads that says "Ask where to save each file" and in Firefox it's even easier, smack dab in the middle of the preferences page.

But other than that sounds pretty good. I may have to check it out with some heavy RAM usage scenarios.

Bing as a websearch engine (the default one)

Oh ugh, maybe not! :p

In Chrome, under Settings/Advanced there's a checkbox under Downloads that says "Ask where to save each file" and in Firefox it's even easier, smack dab in the middle of the preferences page.

But other than that sounds pretty good. I may have to check it out with some heavy RAM usage scenarios.

Yeah, I know, but I was just complaining about the default... many years ago even Firefox was asking by default :( 

Oh ugh, maybe not! :p

Well they have to fund themselves in some way :D I can close an eye for this, just because the way you can set your preferred engine is the same as opera 12, so you have total control. (Now I wanted to go to a new line but I can't, so just imagine I'm writing on a new line :D) There are also A LOT of bookmarks to sponsor them, but them can be deleted without problems anyway :D 

First I'd heard of it, but I really like it - the fact that it seems to run Chrome extensions quite happily is a bonus. Can't think of a reason not to switch at the moment...

Back