Vlc And Other Goodies?

Mqark

Website
www.konixmultisystem.com
What considerations do we have to have to work out if we can install other apps that we like / find useful on our Pandoras?

I'd personally like VLC, but I don't know if it's likly that a version will exist for both ARM and our distro.

I am vaguly noobish when it comes to linux, and I guess a lot of other Pandora users will be (hence asking the question in this relativly safe and flame proof environment!) :)

Thanks for any help and taking the time to educate a fellow Pandorian.

I strongly recall it being said not too long ago (I *think* by skeezix) that they'd had VLC running (I remember asking about it, because I sometimes rip my DVDs into ISOs for convenience, and VLC can play them this way), so it may very well be that someone packages it up into a PND before long, with any luck.

You should start by looking here.
If it's there, odds are someone will eventually package it as a PND. If it's popular enough it may end up in a future firmware.

VLC is in the repo, but it's a hacked version for a device called the Davinci. So, it appears that VLC can be compiled for ARM, but it would probably be best to work from current desktop sources. It also has quite a few dependencies, so it probably won't be a simple recompile either.

Ninja'd: Thanks Prometheus, didn't know Skeezix had it working. I'll look for a source link.

@mindlord - It's here.
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal experience has VLC handling DVDs (real, ISO, and VOBs) better than mplayer.
That's about it. :p

WizardStan said:
Personal experience has VLC handling DVDs (real, ISO, and VOBs) better than mplayer.
That's about it. :p

Oh yea, I forgot that mplayer doesn't like DVDs that much. But don't most people rip DVDs to an MKV container or similar? o_ô

-God Ginrai

paulguy said:
I haven't had much issue with DVDs in mplayer, except for certain DVDs that didn't work in anything.

What about the DVD Menu? That's the problem I was talking about.

-God Ginrai

I just love VLC because I can just tell my friends to download one program rather than telling them how to get a codec pack and Media Player Classic Home Cinema Edition (core MPC has stopped development). Plus it has far fewer issues on my system.

That being said, I do tend to switch between the two.

VLC would be really neat, since it's my media player of choice!
I wonder though, why is it of ANY importance that VLC can play ISOs? We're using Linux for gods sake, ISO-files are nothing else than a filesystem in a file in another filesystem. Just mount the filesystem. It's that simple. :p

(I've always wondered why that Windows OS requires third-party programs to do simple mounting!)

GuSec said:
I wonder though, why is it of ANY importance that VLC can play ISOs? We're using Linux for gods sake, ISO-files are nothing else than a filesystem in a file in another filesystem. Just mount the filesystem. It's that simple. :p
Because it's pretty convenient to just be able to choose to open the ISO image as a file within VLC, without having to mount it first. :lol:

fearofshorts said:
I just love VLC because I can just tell my friends to download one program rather than telling them how to get a codec pack and Media Player Classic Home Cinema Edition (core MPC has stopped development). Plus it has far fewer issues on my system.

That being said, I do tend to switch between the two.

You can do the same by telling them to download mplayer, or KMP. No codecs required.

Prometheus said:
GuSec said:
Because it's pretty convenient to just be able to choose to open the ISO image as a file within VLC, without having to mount it first. :lol:

But my point is: Who rips to ISO instead of a standard video container format? The only time I see ISO rips is for people who want to burn their own copies of the DVD.

-God Ginrai

Back