Vsync

lnx64

Does the Caanoo support Vsync at all? I haven't seen ONE thing actually VSync on it, compared to the Wiz which on PicoDrive is beautifully Vsynced..

Do any of the developers around here have any opinions on this?

lnx64 said:
Does the Caanoo support Vsync at all? I haven't seen ONE thing actually VSync on it, compared to the Wiz which on PicoDrive is beautifully Vsynced..

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a little searching, and it appears that mame4all has a vsync option... (the readme is for the original wiz version, and I don't have my caanoo with me to confirm, but I'm pretty sure I recall seeing the vsync menu option - I'm assuming it is implemented on the caanoo.)

However, searching a bit more I found someone reporting that they find enabling double-buffering in mame produces better results than enabling vsync, so it sounds like it's not working properly....

I guess this still boils down to not knowing the lcd timing on the caanoo? Has anyone contacted gph about this?

stpat said:
Do any of the developers around here have any opinions on this?

lnx64 said:

It's the same SoC as on Wiz so it supports it. The problem is that the clock setup is all different, meaning that the code for setting refresh rate on Wiz will yield a different refresh rate on Caanoo if attempted, and it probably also means that the default refresh rate is no longer a multiple of 60Hz. If the emulator expects 60Hz and tries to vsync to a display that isn't anywhere close to that the result will be much worse than if it doesn't try to vsync at all.

You would think that refresh rate would be a critical piece of info for GPH to provide... any idea if anyone has contacted them?

Exophase said:
It's the same SoC as on Wiz so it supports it. The problem is that the clock setup is all different, meaning that the code for setting refresh rate on Wiz will yield a different refresh rate on Caanoo if attempted, and it probably also means that the default refresh rate is no longer a multiple of 60Hz. If the emulator expects 60Hz and tries to vsync to a display that isn't anywhere close to that the result will be much worse than if it doesn't try to vsync at all.

No need to contact them, it can be determined by reading the registers. It has probably been done already, you'll just have to find where it may have been talked about here..

There's isn't ONE emulator or program that even does a proper VSYNC. Many emulators do it, but not one change takes effect.

I'm not a programmer (not a modern one anyway) and only just want gaming that is right.

I did a quick search through the forums and didn't find anything (could just be due to not using the "proper" keywords to search on.)

It does seem odd though... you'd think that if someone had determined the refersh rate people would have taken advantage of it.

Or, you'd think there'd be something about it in the Caanoo SDK...

To be honest, I think the LCD on the Caanoo isn't 60Hz by default, because PAL games run more smoothly than NTSC games in PicoDrive. So not 50Hz, but close to that area..

Whereas the AMOLED screen on the Wiz can be tinkered with and do both just as fine.

But, I seriously would like to see this get resolved, and soon.

I'm loosing faith in the open source handheld community, modding my 3DS is starting to look tempting, even if there isn't a modding community just yet,

I mean, these handhelds are cool and all, but they really are built cheap, even if their price is high for a "cheap" device. Then to top it all off, software is tough to come by, if it even works right at all, i mean, OhBoy won't even close on my Caanoo since the 1.6.1 firmware update, just locks up..

Homebrew consoles development is just way more split these days. It's not like the old times with GP32 and GP2X where they were your only real options if you wanted something really homebrew friendly that didn't have the creators of the machine fighting you every step of the way. Now you can get Wiz, Caanoo (hooray for GPH self competition, and it doesn't help that Wiz went back on sale to some extent), Dingoo, Pandora, several other PMPs from China, and then the variety of less restricted smart phones. And with Caanoo since the hardware changed so little a lot of people didn't feel like moving to it from Wiz. So there's less general workforce to fix new problems that GPH introduces.

I'm surprised to hear 3DS was already hacked. Makes me want to grab one and get to work on reversing it so it can be emulated :ph34r:

Exophase said:
I'm surprised to hear 3DS was already hacked. Makes me want to grab one and get to work on reversing it so it can be emulated :ph34r:
yeah for gpsp3d in a few years ;)

Back