Wacky Electronics

Bramrash

My DS charger has blown (2nd one thats done that) I found a sony adapter that is 2.2v less than the ds one, but 50mA more. I cut the wire off my ds charger and crudely stuffed one wire into the hole of the sony adapter and wrapped the other around it. It's charging now, but my question is will this harm my DS?

I am no expert on electronics but as far as I know it should not harm your DS. I would purchase a new charger as soon as possible though as a crudely assembled replacement like the one you made will probably fail very soon (you didn't even solder the wires or fixate them in any way).

As long as the voltage is not higher then the recommended input nothing will burn or get damaged right away. If the charger provides enough Ampere all should be fine. Not sure though as to how much slower it charges now.

Yeah I know it is very crude, I was mainly wondering if the higher amps would damage the console. And its as crude as it is because I butchered an onld mobile charger with the same volts, but lower mA and it didnt work, so I wanted to try this one first, before going round the house cutting the ends off all the mains cables I could find.

The DS will take the amperage it needs, no need to worry. Just don't use a supply with a too high voltage rating.

The battery may not charge fully as the voltage may not be correct. It'll be fine in the short time, but you may notice that the battery doesn't last as long on a full charge.

Back