Wait for the 1ghz Units or Buy Rebirth?

singletona

Still Fresh
A bit of background guys:

My laptop died beginning of the month(it might be revivable but I dunno.) I like the pandora in concept. Followed it a bit when it was nothing but vapor. I'm not a big gamer (at least with modern titles,) no matter if the material is questionable quality wise.

How useabe is the keyboard for 'short' material (roughly 2000 - 6000 words.)

What's the support system like if my pandora goes up in smoke for some reason?

Having somethng I can always have on hand would be great gen my handwriting outright suckk, and it's doubbful people will want to up and borrow like they did my laptop. Yet given pandora's rocky history I'm not so sure if it's the device I want.

Plus it'll be awhile (months? I dnnno) before I have the spare money accumulated. Will the 1ghz units actually be obtainable in a reasonable timeframe or will it be a lead time of three months and a touch of luck?

If you were happy with your laptop, continu with that.

The pandora is awesome, sure. But it doesnt cover the same need as a laptop.

yet if you have a desktop and need an ultra-portable solution to lay down an idea on the go. The pandora should be a good option for you.

My experience with the support have been awesome, dont worry with that part imho.

So it all depend on your real needs ;)

A bit of background guys:

My laptop died beginning of the month(it might be revivable but I dunno.) I like the pandora in concept. Followed it a bit when it was nothing but vapor. I'm not a big gamer (at least with modern titles,) no matter if the material is questionable quality wise.
Quality on the 1Ghz units is definitely up several notches compared to the original 256MB machines.

How useabe is the keyboard for 'short' material (roughly 2000 - 6000 words.)
It is a thumb-only keyboard. The whole machine is 5.5" wide. There is no touch typing -on- the Pandora. It is a two thumb keypad. That said, it is -possible- to connect a bluetooth or USB keyboard to it.

What's the support system like if my pandora goes up in smoke for some reason?
From what I can tell, repair/replacement under warranty can vary between two weeks and two+ months.

Having somethng I can always have on hand would be great gen my handwriting outright suckk, and it's doubbful people will want to up and borrow like they did my laptop. Yet given pandora's rocky history I'm not so sure if it's the device I want.
If you're looking or a device to be able to compose & write on - you'd be happier with something with a full sized keyboard and decent key throw. That type of machine generally doesn't fit in a pocket though.

Plus it'll be awhile (months? I dnnno) before I have the spare money accumulated. Will the 1ghz units actually be obtainable in a reasonable timeframe or will it be a lead time of three months and a touch of luck?
From what I can tell, the 1Ghz units are getting cranked out as fast as the operator can go - he got sick so there was a pause in production. He's back cranking now though.

I do a fair amount of writing (using a keyboard of course). I wouldn't want to do anything of substance on the Pandora itself - too frustrating. I'm picky on keyboards though. I pretty much exclusively use Lenovo ThinkPad Ultra Nav keyboards. They're getting harder to find now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back