Buy Gp2x Or Wait For Pandora?

chad78 said:
Rayek said:
I checked dynamism.com just for fun, and it seems the price for the F-200 went down to $119 in like two hours...
No - it says "Starting at $119.00" but when you click on "Purchase" it says "GP2X-F100/Demo - GP2X-F100 Open box - In stock! - $89.00" http://www.dynamism.com/gp2x.shtml

For completeness, the prices are:

GP2X-F200 $169.00
GP2X-F100/Demo Open box $89.00

Edit: Gamersection $169.95, presumably CAD which more or less = USD at moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
EmuGuy said:
You can still buy them at Gamersection.ca, if you're in Canada. That's where I got my GP2X two years ago.

That said, I'd wait for Pandora. The GP2X disappoints in the media playing department. And lots of people don't like the 'analog' stick.

Correction, The GP2x does not have an analog stick. It is and always has been Digital. :)

Trooper

TaG said:
chad78 said:
Rayek said:
I checked dynamism.com just for fun, and it seems the price for the F-200 went down to $119 in like two hours...
No - it says "Starting at $119.00" but when you click on "Purchase" it says "GP2X-F100/Demo - GP2X-F100 Open box - In stock! - $89.00" http://www.dynamism.com/gp2x.shtml

For completeness, the prices are:

GP2X-F200 $169.00
GP2X-F100/Demo Open box $89.00

Wow, is the f200 really worth almost double the price?
they can get up to 180$ on ebay, and the f100 can get to about 110.
I would buy one if it had the possibility of n64 emulation.

I'd say wait for the Pandora. I have a modded PSP that I'm gonna sell since I heard about the Pandora. The PSP web browser is horrible for a lot of sites, the controls are awkward to use, and all the programs I have because of modding it will only be half as good as the ones that will be available on the Pandora. Plus the keyboard, BT, touchscreen, two analog sticks, and USB host are awesome additional features. :pandora1: FTW!

TaG said:
You'd think so wouldn't you, well guess again :p

F-100's for $90 is a great deal, a GP2X should tide you well and put you in the homebrew spirit until Pandora's arrival :)

trooper said:
EmuGuy said:
You can still buy them at Gamersection.ca, if you're in Canada. That's where I got my GP2X two years ago.

That said, I'd wait for Pandora. The GP2X disappoints in the media playing department. And lots of people don't like the 'analog' stick.

Correction, The GP2x does not have an analog stick. It is and always has been Digital. :)

Trooper

Pretty sure that's why he put it in quotes like that, trooper. :p

trooper said:
Rainbow Islands: "The game is sometimes called "Bubble Bobble 2". However, two other games --"Bubble Symphony: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2" and "Bubble Bobble 2"-- claim the same name. Rainbow Islands happens after Bubble Bobble. Bubble Symphony happens after Bubble Memories, which is called Bubble Bobble 3, so Bubble Symphony is really Bubble Bobble 4 or 5. Bubble Bobble 2 also happens after Bubble Memories, so it is either Bubble Bobble 4 or 5. Bubble Symphony's song titles, which refer to Bub and Bob as "Grandfather", are true, then Bubble Symphony is Bubble Bobble 5 and Bubble Bobble 2, which features Robby, the "son", is Bubble Bobble 4. But then again, the intro of Bubble Symphony refers to Bubby and Bobby as the children of Bub and Bob, so Bubble Symphony is Bubble Bobble 4".

Rainbow Islands is BB *Part* 2 - not BB2 - and Then there's RI the Extra Edition, which is BB part 3 - but still a part of BB 1, featuring Bub and Bob. I think the the intro of Symphony calling them "children" in the descendants sense, not the direct children sense. Like "Children of Israel" can refer to all of the Jewish people - not just Jacob's 12 sons and 1 daughter.

So - BB 1 includes BB, RI, and RIEE. BB3 is Bubble Memories. BB4 is Bubble Bobble 2. BB5 is Bubble Symphony. There is no BB2. :)

CronoTriggerfan said:
trooper said:
EmuGuy said:

Trooper

Pretty sure that's why he put it in quotes like that, trooper. :p

Thanks Crono...my sarcasm didn't come through that time, I should've added a smiley... ;) I don't actually mind it (the GP2X stick) all that much, but I personally HATE the PSP nub the couple times I tried it. :angry:

Alex. said:
TaG said:

:huh: The CDN loonie is currently 98 cents to the USD. That's more or less equal if you ask me...?

EmuGuy said:
Alex. said:
TaG said:

:huh: The CDN loonie is currently 98 cents to the USD. That's more or less equal if you ask me...?

Well when I bought my GP2X from them, about 2 years ago, the CAD was significantly lower than the USD, hence why I'm a tad bitter about it ;)

I obviously just only read this forum, but this question require my answer: "If you aren't millionaire, then wait for Pandora." I spot GP2x last autumn and really want it. At about new year I spot Pandora project and immediately choice to wait for Pandora:
1/ I don't have money for both
2/ Pandora is an pocket computer from my dream
3/ P. has much more CPU power
4/ P. is more featured
5/ I have some bad feeling about new GP2x firmware and even HW modification.

If those F100s are Mk2s (avoid Mk1 like the plague!), then $90 is a bargain.

But if you can only afford one, I would definitely wait -- UNLESS the only things you want to do on it would not be improved over a GP2X.

You mentioned emulation, so for example, if all you want to do is play Megadrive, NES, and a couple of others, they will not be signifcantly improved on the Pandora. SNES, MAME, Amiga, PSX and others (including key-based systems like ZX, CPC, MSX and C64) will see a huge improvement.

Alex. said:
Well when I bought my GP2X from them, about 2 years ago, the CAD was significantly lower than the USD, hence why I'm a tad bitter about it ;)
Oh yeah, those were the BAD old days! I think it was $500 by the time I got my GP2X, case, video out cable, SD card, batteries and charger. Definitely stung, but I HAD to have Genesis in my pocket. :) SD cards alone have come down insanely since back then...I think I paid $145 for my ADATA 4GB, and that was on eBay!

I'm happy to know the analog sticks on the Pandora will be much better. Even if/when it takes some time after launch for the really neat software to ramp up, it'll still be worth the wait, easy. If the OP can get a very cheap GP2X, might be worth it for playing over the summer, but I'd save my money for the Pandora.

chad78 said:
Rainbow Islands is BB *Part* 2 - not BB2 - and Then there's RI the Extra Edition, which is BB part 3 - but still a part of BB 1, featuring Bub and Bob. I think the the intro of Symphony calling them "children" in the descendants sense, not the direct children sense. Like "Children of Israel" can refer to all of the Jewish people - not just Jacob's 12 sons and 1 daughter.

So - BB 1 includes BB, RI, and RIEE. BB3 is Bubble Memories. BB4 is Bubble Bobble 2. BB5 is Bubble Symphony. There is no BB2. :)
I had no idea there were other games which used the name Bubble Bobble at all, let alone ones which were effectively direct sequels. I bow to you and Troopers respective wisdoms.

Actually... you're missing Bubble Bobble Part 2 aka Bubble Bobble Junior.

There was also Classic Bubble Bobble on GBC with a new story of Bub rescuing Bob (or vice versa, I can't remember) and very different gameplay/settings.

Then of course there's Parasol Stars, which is "The Story of Bubble Bobble III"...

GunPei2X said:
Actually... you're missing Bubble Bobble Part 2 aka Bubble Bobble Junior.

There was also Classic Bubble Bobble on GBC with a new story of Bub rescuing Bob (or vice versa, I can't remember) and very different gameplay/settings.

Then of course there's Parasol Stars, which is "The Story of Bubble Bobble III"...

You are right - so BB "Part 2" / Jr. would actually be BB 2 - and Classic BB would be BB1 - part 4. :) So now we have a complete BB1, BB2, BB3, BB4, and BB5.

Shew, I feel better. ;)

GunPei2X said:
If those F100s are Mk2s (avoid Mk1 like the plague!), then $90 is a bargain.

But if you can only afford one, I would definitely wait -- UNLESS the only things you want to do on it would not be improved over a GP2X.

You mentioned emulation, so for example, if all you want to do is play Megadrive, NES, and a couple of others, they will not be signifcantly improved on the Pandora. SNES, MAME, Amiga, PSX and others (including key-based systems like ZX, CPC, MSX and C64) will see a huge improvement.
I would argue that even if one's main interest is emulation of systems that are already well emulated by GP2X, that the Pandora is still the better way to go because of the better controls and nicer/bigger screen.

My PSP for example, pretty much emulates 80% - 90% of the retro systems I like very well. But the controls are barely acceptable, and the screen ghosting can be infuriating sometimes.

Prophet said:
I would argue that even if one's main interest is emulation of systems that are already well emulated by GP2X, that the Pandora is still the better way to go because of the better controls and nicer/bigger screen.
In general I would agree, but I don't think I'd pay an extra $240 (above that GP2X price of $90) for that luxury.

Back