Wait To Buy The Gp2x?

g4m3r

Hello,
First I want to state I am greatly interested in this little handheld, but I hear the GP2X is poorly built hardware wise. Such things as an irresponsive joystick with so called "dead zones", a cheap case, and others. Now what I was wondering was if I wait until, I don't know, next year, will the GP2X be more enjoyable? After all sometimes patience pays off.
-------------------------
Thank you very much,
g4m3r

Well, I think it depends on just what kind of gamer/product user you are.

If you are the type that either 1) has experience with working with mostly "Open Source" type of hardware and software or 2) willing to learn to work with them, then maybe you could look into buying a 2X now. GP is working on patching up hardware, firmware and such, so it would really only be a matter of waiting patiently for GP to come through for you and the others like you are eagerly waiting.

However, if you are the type that pretty much expects perfection out of the box, then no, you probably shouldn't buy a 2X right this minute. The whole firmware thing, along with some other small glitches, may put you off.

I'll be honest; I'm more in the set of people that are willing to wait for the "ideal" release in another month or two, if it means me not having to deal with these early hiccups and such. If others have the patience and such for it, power to them; I even go forth to tip my hat personally to them, because their know-how exceeds my own. But that's not me. When I put down 200-some dollars down for a relatively large investment such as this, I believe I should be getting the more or less "perfect" release, any other tweaking or patching should be mostly for aesthetic purposes, or small fixes here and there that only serve to optimize the product further.

Thus, the reason why I cancelled my prior pre-order, and await the new versions of the "PEP" in January (hopefully). I might miss out on the cool pre-order bonus, sure, but getting the bang for my buck for the main product would speak much higher to me.

Thanks for the reply. I think I might just do what you're doing. I'll just wait until the GP2X is "completely done". There isn't really any sort of rush anyway to get it right now. Thanks again.

Back