Walkie Talkie

Yes but it would be more like a phone call not a two way radio and you would have to stay near whatever internet connection you are using be it wifi, bluetooth, or other.

Exarus said:
Yes but it would be more like a phone call not a two way radio and you would have to stay near whatever internet connection you are using be it wifi, bluetooth, or other.
Oh well yeah, the connection would be constant like a phone, but I was thinking more towards adhoc where no internet would be involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, as long as the voip app supported standard TCP connections (UDP even, for large number of participants) I'd think it'd easily connect via ad-hoc.

whiskthecat said:
Exarus said:
Oh well yeah, the connection would be constant like a phone, but I was thinking more towards adhoc where no internet would be involved.

In which case you're about 30 feet apart from each other anyway. Just talk like normal people. :p

WizardStan said:
whiskthecat said:
Exarus said:

In which case you're about 30 feet apart from each other anyway. Just talk like normal people. :p

But it's so boring to do that when you can talk like this: *holds Pandora near mouth and presses Shoulder button* I have the perimeter, OVER KSSH!!

;)

--God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
WizardStan said:
whiskthecat said:
Exarus said:

But it's so boring to do that when you can talk like this: *holds Pandora near mouth and presses Shoulder button* I have the perimeter, OVER KSSH!!

;)

--God Ginrai

Well I was thinking of using it as an intercom between motorcycles. Wifi is supposed to have a 100ft range.

Also you don't have to make the KSSH sound it does that for you. :D

first, wouldn't it be full-duplex? (no ksssh.)

Second, are you going to connect to the helmet via Bluetooth and then connect the Pandoras over ad-hoc?

I wonder what the life of the battery is with full on transmit/receive power?

Chatting using text works much better over wireless, though obviously that won't help you. I have this on my Cybiko, but it uses a proprietory communications protocol (which includes a lot of error correction I think). There's a walkie-talkie mode too but the range isn't brilliant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybiko

whiskthecat said:
God Ginrai said:
WizardStan said:
whiskthecat said:
Exarus said:

;)

--God Ginrai

Well I was thinking of using it as an intercom between motorcycles. Wifi is supposed to have a 100ft range.

Only shortwave makes the KSSH sound. If you're using a Wifi-based Walkie-Talkie, it's not going to make the KSSH sound unless it is coded to play that sound at the end of a message.

-God Ginrai

I guess no one has seen Saving Silverman, its a joke from the movie (about 1min into the video). I am fully aware that it isn't going to make a KSSH sound. :D

I wasn't planning on using a bluetooth helmet, using a regular wired headset would save power.

whiskthecat said:
I guess no one has seen Saving Silverman, its a joke from the movie (about 1min into the video). I am fully aware that it isn't going to make a KSSH sound. :D

I wasn't planning on using a bluetooth helmet, using a regular wired headset would save power.

you can buy a pair of GMRS handhelds for about $50 these days. Package on a couple of headsets and it does what you want. They're designed specifically with wireless communication in mind: compact, long battery life, far greater range, exceptionally durable, and cheap. If you dropped one, you might be out $25-$50, but more than likely it would survive the fall. Drop your Pandora, and you're most likely out an extra $300.
Again, another good "because I can" idea, but I'm thinking it may be better to go with the conventional method instead of turning the Pandora into an be-all.

God Ginrai said:
whiskthecat said:
God Ginrai said:
WizardStan said:
whiskthecat said:
Exarus said:

;)

--God Ginrai

Only shortwave makes the KSSH sound. If you're using a Wifi-based Walkie-Talkie, it's not going to make the KSSH sound unless it is coded to play that sound at the end of a message.

-God Ginrai

I declare that we should KSSHK at the end of our posts.

Over,
KSSH
CandidStan.

CandidStan said:
[pyramid of quotes]

I declare that we should KSSHK at the end of our posts.

Over,
KSSH
CandidStan.

Indeed... KSSH!

-God Ginrai

shouldn't a bluetooth headset plus a wired headset be enough to communicate? Input from one would be send to the output of the other and you can talk. No second pandora nor adhoc-networking needed....

conso said:
shouldn't a bluetooth headset plus a wired headset be enough to communicate? Input from one would be send to the output of the other and you can talk. No second pandora nor adhoc-networking needed....
Yes, though if you are close enough to use a BT headset (10-30ft) then you do not need anything to be able to speak to somebody.

Really, connecting two Pandoras over wifi to use as walkie talkies borders on being a Rube Goldberg contraption. It is so complicated and so limited compared to simply using real walkie talkies, there is no point to doing it beyond being able to say "Look what I can do!"

conso said:
Ooooh. Good one. Hadn't thought of that.

Chip said:
Yes, though if you are close enough to use a BT headset (10-30ft) then you do not need anything to be able to speak to somebody.
Like I said earlier it would be for communicating between motorcycles.

Back