Wallpapers And Other Graphics Wanted!

Niiice, though I'd be concerned about the rights to "imgUKBrightonDruidsGraffiti1".

And... yeah, ED - it would be really nice if we could get some indication of whether any of these images are "making the grade" or not. As I see it, we could currently fill the NAND to overflowing without actually knowing if you want us to keep on working because we don't know how many you want, or how many you've got towards that number :(

Monk said:
Niiice, though I'd be concerned about the rights to "imgUKBrightonDruidsGraffiti1".

And... yeah, ED - it would be really nice if we could get some indication of whether any of these images are "making the grade" or not. As I see it, we could currently fill the NAND to overflowing without actually knowing if you want us to keep on working because we don't know how many you want, or how many you've got towards that number :(

hmmm, not too sure about that.

As far as I am led to believe, I as the photographer own the rights.

I fully understand your point, as it is a photo of a piece of artwork that someone else did.

By that token though I didn't make TutAnkhAmun's mask or build the boat on Lake Victoria either.

I am going to look into it this afternoon just to be sure.

Cheers for the pointer.

WorldTripping.

Oh and btw way Monk - great stills !

Last edited by a moderator:
WorldTripping said:
By that token though I didn't make TutAnkhAmun's mask or build the boat on Lake Victoria either.
Tut's mask would be well outside the bounds of copyright, by a few thousand years :p
And a picture of a boat is not the same as copying a boat. A picture of a picture, however, is a copy of that picture.

WizardStan said:
WorldTripping said:
Tut's mask would be well outside the bounds of copyright, by a few thousand years :p
And a picture of a boat is not the same as copying a boat. A picture of a picture, however, is a copy of that picture.

I do know though that it perfectly acceptable to photograph a public building from a public place e.g. the pavement.

There are also plenty of stock image sites that have graffiti photographs with the copyright holder being the photographer.

However...

As I am not exactly sure about where I stand, I have taken the link down.

Better to be prudent than (unwittingly) infringe someone else's work.

WorldTripping.

(Still prefer the 'No God Games' for my Pandora wallpaper though!)

WorldTripping said:
WizardStan said:
WorldTripping said:

I do know though that it perfectly acceptable to photograph a public building from a public place e.g. the pavement.

There are also plenty of stock image sites that have graffiti photographs with the copyright holder being the photographer.

However...

As I am not exactly sure about where I stand, I have taken the link down.

Better to be prudent than (unwittingly) infringe someone else's work.

WorldTripping.

(Still prefer the 'No God Games' for my Pandora wallpaper though!)
I think it's two signs denoting a godless place where games are allowed.

Here's my quickydoo:
p1.jpg

WorldTripping said:
Monk said:

hmmm, not too sure about that.

As far as I am led to believe, I as the photographer own the rights.

I fully understand your point, as it is a photo of a piece of artwork that someone else did.

I am going to look into it this afternoon just to be sure.

Cheers for the pointer.

WorldTripping.

Oh and btw way Monk - great stills !

Thanks!

WizardStan has touched on one important point - a photograph of a 3D object like a building is different to a photograph of a 2D item like a painting. Consider this - as you have (quite rightly) asserted that you as photogrpher have copyright of that photo - NOT the original artists - no-one but you has any rights to copy that photograph. However, can I take a photo of it and gain copyright of the essential image that way - as being the "new" photographer, only I would have the rights to that new photo?

"Rights" get very complicated, even if everyone is doing their best to respect everyone else, and certainly I have known large corporations get VERY shirty over seemingly innocuous usage of photographs (even holiday snaps from inside their resorts).

It's a funny world, and personally I'd have been inclined to think that Graffitti isn't subject to rights by the original artist or building owners, since it seems to originate (and often still exists) in the world of illegally defacing someone else's property, except... except that "tagging" has apparently become big business, with artwork by "Banksy" (for example) even going on exhibition in big-league art galleries. And with big money comes, I fear, a shift in idealogy away from "free love" creative priciples and towards "pre-nup" financially motivated behaviour :(

Back to photos of things wot have been designed, like a painting. You as photographer have a copyright holding in the photo - the original artist cannot copy your photo and nor can anyone else without your permission. But you do not NECESSARILY have the copy-rights to everything that you photograph, so you may need permission from the original artist before you could duplicate/publish your photo. Artists who have been dead for centuries rarely press charges for copyright infringement, but the still living or only recently dead can be a real pain :(

(naw)mcx said:
Tom` said:
Vlynndar said:
Just mentioning that I quoted Tom's and (naw)mcx's Pandora-tan images in the Pandora-Tan Character Art thread.
It's not my image, it was drawn by saejinoh. Just to make that clear :p

And mine was by my girlfriend ;)

(she'll be chuffed, she's so negative on her art work)

Haha, tell her I like hers best. Well, the first image in that thread is also nice, but that's because of all the shiny colours.
I like the look on her face. (And as I'm not the best wordsmith in the middle of the nighht, the last bit goes for the image your girlfriend made). She's just sitting there, relaxing, instead of posing. The most fun to hang out with.
Yeah, I'd better go to bed.

Here are some resized pictures I took, as well as a quick wallpaper. Feel free to edit any as you see fit.

1zvx015.jpg
ndle2u.jpg
xm8llj.jpg

256z71g.jpg
20gikp2.jpg

I should probably also add my own wallpaper from another thread, I suppose:

21osxv5.png

Personally, I tend to prefer the photographic and abstract backgrounds over the logo-based ones... but I am using this one at work while I wait for my Pandora :)

X x Ben x X said:
Yet another render
The logo itself as the light source? Heh, that's a new one, nice.
The "Pandora" text might fit better to the left of the structure in order to fill out some of the black areas but as you might have noticed by now, I'm not against black in an image so it might not matter when I think about it.

Back