want to develop an application for the pandora over the next couple of years

Moizabug

Still Fresh
Website
writingbug.co.nz
I'm in the process of learning C#, Unity and Python.

I want to build a website that allows people to play single player games with each other online via my website using the pandora.

I'm a noob at programming. Don't have a pandora yet, I have a gp32x caanoo. Looking at upgrading to pandora in about a year.

My area is novel writing, film writing, game writing, game design and 2d game art.

I also keep a blog reviewing movies - to help people decide what to watch. I'm a massive movie geek.

Had this idea as a huge sega, snes and psx fan.

Any (constructive) suggestions?

obvious problems?

The Pandora won't run Unity, or unless I'm mistaken C#. They're still worthy things to learn, but not of much use for Pandora dev currently.

Also, take a look a c4a, the Pandora's online high-score system. That sounds quite like what you're proposing, or at least it should have some overlap. See http://c4a.openpandora.org/

I'm in the process of learning C#, Unity and Python.
Unity isn't available for pandora afaik, but I remember seeing a video of someone playing a game made with Unity using Android.

Maybe you also want to look at Godot? (I really could use some feedback for my port)

It uses a scripting language similar to Python and an editor that seems to be inspired by the one in Unity (can't tell how similar the editor is as I haven't tried Unity).

I want to build a website that allows people to play single player games with each other online via my website using the pandora.
I'm not sure what you mean ... people playing single player games with each other ...

If you want the game to be a browsergame (HTML5 or Flash) you might run into performance issues, but in theory it should work.

Don't have a pandora yet, I have a gp32x caanoo. Looking at upgrading to pandora in about a year.

obvious problems?

I guess there will only be used pandoras available by that time, but maybe the pyra will be available already (http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16497-release-date-three-point-estimate/#entry340687/URL]).

Last edited by a moderator:
At least, code something portable. C++ may be a better idea for games.

How's that supposed to work? Singleplayer games were not designed to be played with others in the first place. Hence the term singleplayer.

Seriously tho, im obviously missing something, how do you plan this to work?

You could take a look at GLBasic here: http://www.glbasic.com/

It compiles to pandora and also to the caanoo.

So if you know your ways around internet multiplayer, you could do a game to accept those consoles + desktops.

There is support for html5 but it is a work in progress yet, I haven´t fully tested its limits either and I have no idea how would that perform on a pandora under a browser.

Latest tests I did were eorking on firefox, which is a browser that works with pandora.

Anyways, check the glbasic forum too, people may be able to help you out on some questions.

I share a similar background to you and am also creating a game I hope to push caanoo´s and pandora´s way, it is somehow aaaaalmost done ;) If you step over glb´s forum look for the avocado mayhem post on the announcements area to have a glimpse of its creation, it is a purist 2d pixel art game.

Hope it helps, cheers.

Back