Want to (game) jam?

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I'm awful at coding pretty much anything in my spare time at the minute (as i think most people can see), but i still like the idea of doing a jam.

This jam popped up in my email, so i was wondering, i used to be okay-ish at pixel art, would anyone fancy teaming up and being a coder for the jam, if i have a go at the art?

In case you want to see some of my old pixels

A gamewindow will look like
e-5f20a1640c2d10.02331243.jpg
what kind of art can you fit into that? Do you have an idea for a game already?

i would love to have time for something like this. is it time to take some vacation???

[edit] on second thought, 64x64 is a bit of an eyesore after a while, and i do appreciate pixel art.

Last edited:
A gamewindow will look like
e-5f20a1640c2d10.02331243.jpg
what kind of art can you fit into that? Do you have an idea for a game already?
There are some examples on the jam page. Probably a half-size gameboy game :)
As for a game idea, no, they don't want you do really do anything before the jam starts on the 1st.

wow, holy shit! i really adore your pixelpushing talent. so beautyfull!! <3
Thanks, but are you sure you weren't looking at my "faves" tab, rather than my gallery?! ;-) The page does seem a bit broken and keeps pushing back to that tab.

[edit] on second thought, 64x64 is a bit of an eyesore after a while, and i do appreciate pixel art.
Okay, so, if somebody's interested in something, it doesn't have to be the lorez jam. Just thought it was short enough to not have it drag on (so good chance of making somehting), but not too short (as I can't basically sit here all day in front of the computer).

And like clockwork, I went to open Paint Shop Pro 9 to draw a mock 64x64 scene as a test/demo; and since yesterday, my machine has decided that I can no longer do that... Now the only thing that happened since I last used it was to reinstall Starcraft 2...

Edit: Okay, uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have got it running... Dunno, maybe this was a bad idea in general...

Edit 2: Okay, so my mailclient had a completely different layout when I started that too... Think somethings foobar'd :-(

Last edited:
Here we go, I did a scene in the theme of one of my "original" games that was released on the Pandora (that didn't get a very good score, probably because it was barely more than a playable alpha). Can you guess which it is?
I also arbitarily used Arne's 16 colour palette, for better for for worse.

Mockup.png
Mockup-Zoomed.png

Maybe 64x64 is a bit small for anything useful..

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a small collab project, whether it be a jam or not, hit me up

• Love
Reactions: rSl
Here we go, I did a scene in the theme of one of my "original" games that was released on the Pandora (that didn't get a very good score, probably because it was barely more than a playable alpha). Can you guess which it is?
I also arbitarily used Arne's 16 colour palette, for better for for worse.

View attachment 36262 View attachment 36263

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a small collab project, whether it be a jam or not, hit me up

Yay roadfighter!

Well i am sitting at the computer coding in löve the whole day anyway. If you throw graphics at me i can drop out something to play on the other end.
After all coding is the easiest part of game making....

Well, you could make it even more open if game ideas like drawings/music etc. are also entered.
Sometimes you can have a good idea but can't (easily) put it together in an acceptable time-frame.

Well, you could make it even more open if game ideas like drawings/music etc. are also entered.
Not sure i understand. Are you talking about submitting pictures to a game jam? Why would you do that then there are art compos for pictures?

Sometimes you can have a good idea but can't (easily) put it together in an acceptable time-frame.
Yes, but the idea of the jam is so you don't procrastinate and this never finish. Jam games are rarely"complete", more serve as prototypes for potential future games

Jam coding is all about applying restrictions to yourself. 64x64 doesn't sound excessively stingy, you could still fit in 64 characters of text even if you went with a full fat original 8x8 font. Should be good enough for pokemon style RPG, but perhaps that the most obvious thing to do. Given there's no restriction on palette and processing power, it might be nicer to so something with a little perspective in it.

I wonder if this has to play INSIDE the window.
Say you have the window walk away or avoiding the mouse.
Imagine a start button but when you try to click it the window flees \o/

• Haha
Jam coding is all about applying restrictions to yourself. 64x64 doesn't sound excessively stingy, you could still fit in 64 characters of text even if you went with a full fat original 8x8 font. Should be good enough for pokemon style RPG, but perhaps that the most obvious thing to do. Given there's no restriction on palette and processing power, it might be nicer to so something with a little perspective in it.
I suppose. I guess it just depends on what type of game you try and apply within that range

Thanks, but are you sure you weren't looking at my "faves" tab, rather than my gallery?! ;-) The page does seem a bit broken and keeps pushing back to that tab.
faves are cool too and your gallery rocks, keep the pixels flowing... :cool:

I can't basically sit here all day in front of the computer
soon pyra sits in front of you, everywhere, sporting a fullscreen gimp. <3

btw. i'm all for releasing the game for win32 only, so ptitseb can port it. xD

Last edited:
He would also fix the screen resolution to fit the pandora screen.

Joke aside, how do you even make games for windows? *puzzled*

• Haha
Hi all...

So Elw3 and I have been mashing something up for the LowRez jam, got 6 days left, and haven't really considered any music or sfx. Any musicians here want to join the team for the glory of helping complete a jam project? :cool: :)

For sfx I sometimes turn to: http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

sfxr is a free and tiny sound effect quick generating tool specially designed for game developers, developed by Tomas Pettersson (DrPetter) from Sweden in the 10th Ludum Dare competition in 2007.

Here is an online version:

I've lost quite the touch, so I'm not able to make something worthy. What were you looking for? chiptune? something upbeat, something relaxing?

Back