Want to (game) jam?

No.
No theme, no archive. Just a zip folder of pictures to work with.

The olc codejam seems friendly. Can't speak for any of the others though.
The whole OLC community seem pretty friendly. And Javidx9 does a lot of well structured videos. Have been tempted to play a bit more with the OLC pixel game engine, but I've been too "busy" (in a loose sense of a couple hours a week) faffing making one that I can build for the OGA with too.

No.
No theme, no archive. Just a zip folder of pictures to work with.
Surely whatever pictures there are will generate you a theme... unless you say "use any of Kenney's assets", but then how do you compare a mini-golf game to a 3D FPS to a castle simulator? Themes at least provide a common bond between the games.

Themes are just stupid, mainly because everyone has its own idea of what words mean, so they cause more separation than bonds.
I rather have a clean "here is a file, use this shit" line.

I guess I'd be interested in trying a jam like that.

I think we should have a Pyra jam at some point. Part of me thinks have it so the jam finishes before the production units get shipped, but i guess it's be hard to make sure your entry even runs on a Pyra without one, or even if your libraries are available.

Reactions: rSl
Lets call it the public stew, everyone gives some ingredients and we all have to eat it.
Why not salt a 4k high res background with some pixelart chars? Or Zombie death cries with folk music?

Yea we have to wait till the pyra is out. Id like to have some thing earlier, but there are so little users on the forum these days.

i don't think there's anyone stopping you from creating your own game jam. sounds like an interesting premise, of course.

Themes are just stupid, mainly because everyone has its own idea of what words mean, so they cause more separation than bonds.
I rather have a clean "here is a file, use this shit" line.

Limitations induce creativity, "do what you want" just gives you to many options. Just see your game it was great because of the limitation.

But limitations have to be clear indeed.
Post automatically merged:

I still dream of a sandwich based mario clone

Last edited:
Why not salt a 4k high res background with some pixelart chars?
Why 4k when the Pyra has a 720p screen (and maybe a 1080 HDMI out?). I guess it could be used as a scrolling background, and I guess 4k is really just nine 720p screens stacked in a 3x3 grid (or four 1080p screens), which could support a number of play styles.

It's finally back... Nearly missed it too...

I've tried to build something for this the last two years, though never completed or submitted anything.

Maybe this year... time to look through the cart covers

Reactions: rSl
Announcement for the OLC jam is now, in case anyone is interested
Code:
https://www.twitch.tv/javidx9

Been looking hours at at all the entries. Mostly reading the comments.
Some games are really polished, like the continuously exploding bomb (lost the URL, but was real fun playing),
The throw/fetch from:
and the cameo of Fresh Prince in this one (also the dialog had me rofling):

Also noticed that the score for the sound in our game was mostly because it was directional. So looking at all those other great entries... wow! Good Job with the concept, @Elw3 and @pmprog
Post automatically merged:

@pmprog Deep Space Diver has potential for a fun game.

25.jpg

I like this cover. There is enough potential to make a nice pixelart cow that collects words and makes sentences out of them to pass a level. (or you have a wall, with certain words missing and you need to find the words and put them in the right spot) The shadow of the cow (with smiley) means it can help reach places the cow can not go into (maybe by extinguishing the flame).
And the image already provides 3 levels: City, Forest and mountain.

So for example: To get into town, the guy-that-talks-out-of-his-arse says you need red boots. And you find a billboard that says "Get ..... boots". So you find the word "red" and put it on the billboard, and you get red boots.
Then there is another billboard that says: "And cow went to the ....", so you need the words "forest", "mountain", "city" etc. to go to that level.
There is a ".hicken", gray sprite. Find the "C" and the chicken gets a colour and gives you an egg, open the egg and you get a word, which you can combine with other things.
Billboard "It was ....". Then "rainy" gets you a rainy level, where frogs are, "morning" get's you to the mountain that is awake (to talk to)

Last edited:
This isnt https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/awful-game-ideas.82563/ :D

The directional footsteps sure where a major selling point, but the sound effects feel unpolished, i dont like them somehow. When i tested what to put into the pandora version of the game i realized that a downpitched version of some of the grunting noises would have fit much better as attack cry for example.
The background music is a big win, perfectly fits, good choice.

Speaking of, once i have better internets ill upload the pnd. The pandora version sadly is TOTALLY different because the screen is too small for the game to be playable, ironic for a 64p game, right?

+1 for replacing the battle cry with grunts (my motivation was bull sniffs). Need more grunts to choose from?

Originally, my vision for the attack was one sound that had all (with an underlayer at lower volume of a second growl), I've attached it.
The other sounds were the raw sound bites, no reverb and equalizer because I added those later in the audacity file. So that's why they are not well cut, and post-produced.

How was the sound made? The microphone of the Pandora. In the bathroom.
Two growls. superimposed, one as an accent. One tone lower for pitch. A bit of reverb to make the sound "thicker".
For the crunch I used 3 Leaks that I broke near the Pandora for a juicy crunch. But only one of the leaks produced a long sound.
A second layer of cracked succini's to accentuate the initial crack (very soft).
Cracking wallnuts in hands to get a cracking sound (around 10 walnuts were used)
A fist stomp on the cardboardbox for a thump sound.
A "ugh!" sound with my normal voice (While imitating Nice Peter doing Bill Nye).
For the walking minotaur, I used a carboard box full of cleaning products (plastic containers) that I shook to get steps.
The sounds were then post processed to remove the hiss (audacity). This does change the sound a bit, but at least there is no hiss.

I'm away from home this weekend, but I'll recreate some new steps sfx's. (I'll also add the steps I can make on the Synthesizer)

Attachments

• SFX_player_death.zip
    39.3 KB · Views: 135
@pmprog Deep Space Diver has potential for a fun game
Yes, I still have all my game ideas noted in my kanban for that... So I might try and resurrect it.

Looking at this years Famicase list, these have made my "shortlist" for potentials (though not very short)

At the minute, I have rough ideas of actual game mechanics for Room4Joy, Bird Club, Demon Drive, and Finding Planet 9. So I'm currently thinking it'll probably be one of them if I participate.

Though I really love the cart cover for Tar-Nation.

That all said, the OLC jam has started, but I have yet to even think about it seriously, so I don't know if I'll attempt that

Looking at this years Famicase list, these have made my "shortlist" for potentials (though not very short)
I like some of the names:
Gone Fission. Could be about fishing mutants, or about fishing then eating mutant fish to mutate yourself to reach a certain place.
Fermata: Alluding to the Fermi paradox, this could be an epic cRPG with spacetravel.

I agree about tar-nation. But the cover has the main sprite, so that limits you in that you need to used that spriteset.

Back