Warcraft

M-HT

Very Active Member
Website
github.com
Hi,

I present you the statically recompiled version of Warcraft for the GP2X.

Multiplayer does not work (and it`s not planned to make it work).
Touchscreen support will come later.

Original Warcraft version 1.21 is required for playing.
I tested it with a floppy version. I don`t know whether it works with CD version.

Read the readme-GP2X.txt file in the archive for instructions.

I`m not sure about the default button mapping I devised, so if you suggest a better one, I`ll include it in the next version.

Warcraft beta 1 on the gp2x archive:
CODE
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,2746

Information about Warcraft on Wikipedia:
CODE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft:_Orcs_%26_Humans

Awesome work, M-HT! :D

Your static recompilations are very impressive.

Thank you very much, and keep it up. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans. This is one of the first RTS games.
I remember playing the very first RTS, Dune II and was thoroughly amazed at the time. It was really ground breaking stuff back then.
Afterwards I played Command and Conquer, Warcraft II and Red Alert were the last ones I really played. I did try Starcraft and Age of Empires when they came out but sadly my interest in them had already waned - as it just seemed to be more of the same.
I recently tried "Z" by the Bitmap Brothers but didn't get into that either - though I didn't give it much of a go.

Can't wait to try this on my GP2X, I wonder if my original disks still work?

Yeah, warcraft was / is fun, nice to see another RTS available for the GP2X. Installed and played it for a while and seems to work great. Touchscreen support would be nice indeed, but it plays pretty very good already. Default mapping is okay.

Thanks MH-T!

'Stop poking meeeee!!!'

Music doesn't seem to work properly; it always only starts to play if I go to the Options of the Menu. :(

Aside from that, it plays really well.

Suggestion, although the default mapping is usable, I wonder if you can implement combination keys, such as CTRL+Left-click, which would function as a normal left-click when tapped, but will become a selection box when held and dragged. (CTRL needs to be pressed first before the Left-click, for this to function correctly) Another combination would be key_X+Left-click, where X is a keyboard key; example would be A+Left-click to issue an Attack command in one click.

Thanks again, M-HT. :)

Wow, did not expect a release like this! Thanks M-HT. I won't get a chance to try it out until next week. Looking forward to that.

<wanker>

Dune 2 is one of the earlier, and certainly probably the best, but not the first RTS game.

I think it was the first that the term "real time strategy" was used as a genre, but it was predated by a dozen titles for a decade earlier (even on the PC, with Ancient Art of War IIRC, which was a CGA game I think.)

Dune 2 was the best, but I don't think we cna credit it as first per se.

jeff

</wanker>

'Manjuu' said:
Music doesn't seem to work properly; it always only starts to play if I go to the Options of the Menu. :(
I'll see if I can fix it.

'Manjuu' said:
Suggestion, although the default mapping is usable, I wonder if you can implement combination keys, such as CTRL+Left-click, which would function as a normal left-click when tapped, but will become a selection box when held and dragged. (CTRL needs to be pressed first before the Left-click, for this to function correctly) Another combination would be key_X+Left-click, where X is a keyboard key; example would be A+Left-click to issue an Attack command in one click.
Both suggestions are doable, the second one is easy, the first one is more difficult, I'll take a look at it.

Will be playing this this weekend :) I told M-HT I can add touchscreen in May if he likes :)

Is that Wargus or something else like a reverse-engineered version?
Will the source code be released?

'zear_' said:
Neither.
Short explanation - I used static recompilation (or static binary translation) to recompile (translate) the original X86 DOS executable to ARM Linux executable.

'zear_' said:
Will the source code be released?
If someone is interested in the source code, send me a PM.

I notice that the dialogue while in the Victory screen (in-between missions) gets immediately cut off.

I've been playing the human campaign, and I'm at the 5th mission. Fun, but gets quite crazy and cumbersome when a battle is happening.

I even edited the control mappings; added CTRL to be able to select multiple units, and the H key, which doubles as Harvest and Heal. Very useful and are a must! :lol:

Looking forward to touchscreen support; it should make playing this much easier. :D

Thanks again. :)

'M-HT' said:
'zear_' said:

Neither.
Short explanation - I used static recompilation (or static binary translation) to recompile (translate) the original X86 DOS executable to ARM Linux executable.
Very cool. How long did it take you? I just glazed over your first post, so I completely missed the fact that you've converted a X86 DOS exe to run on an ARM cpu. Very impressive. I've never played Warcraft before but I'll give this a go just to see how it runs.

Thanks for your efforts

Reesy

'Manjuu' said:
I notice that the dialogue while in the Victory screen (in-between missions) gets immediately cut off.
The score counter is displaying as fast as it can, that's why it's over almost immediately. The sound is cut off probably because it's trying to play too many sounds at once.
I'll insert some delays to the victory screen to make it similar to how it works on slower computers.

'Reesy' said:
Very cool. How long did it take you? I just glazed over your first post, so I completely missed the fact that you've converted a X86 DOS exe to run on an ARM cpu. Very impressive. I've never played Warcraft before but I'll give this a go just to see how it runs.
That's difficult to say, because Warcraft is not the first game I recompiled (the earlier games were Albion, X-COM 1 and X-COM 2 and there are also some games in the making) and a lot of work I did for the earlier games is reused in Warcraft. Not to mention, that I take long breaks in the development to work on something else.
But my rough estimation is that I spent 1-2 months working on things only for Warcraft.
The time I spent on things that were later used in Warcraft, I don't even try to estimate it, but it was a lot.

'Manjuu' said:
Looking forward to touchscreen support; it should make playing this much easier. :D
The game seems to already have touchscreen support and works well. :)

'Tag5' said:
'Manjuu' said:

It only has standard mouse controls, nothing touchscreen specific. If that's enough, then OK, but proper touchscreen support will be added later.

'Tag5' said:
Oops... you're right. Since I read that touchscreen support would be added later, I assumed that there wouldn't be any response at all, so I never tried it. :lol:

Unfortunately, it's just basic support. The current control mapping isn't suited for a left-handed or right-handed usage only. (i.e. like the mappings Senor Quack added for X-COM, X-COM2, and Albion, as well as for Abuse and TTD2X)

'M-HT' said:
It only has standard mouse controls, nothing touchscreen specific. If that's enough, then OK, but proper touchscreen support will be added later.
There seems to be a problem with the current touchscreen controls. Most of the time, it seems to require two taps to select an object; the 1st tap moves the cursor, while the 2nd tap for the left-click. However, this gets more messed up if on the 2nd tap, you try to select a different object. It moves the cursor to the new location, but it would still left-click the previous object. I don't think I explained it that well, but this makes the touchscreen controls harder to use.

'M-HT' said:
The score counter is displaying as fast as it can, that's why it's over almost immediately. The sound is cut off probably because it's trying to play too many sounds at once.
I'll insert some delays to the victory screen to make it similar to how it works on slower computers.
The score counter is fine as is; it displays similarly in DOSBox anyways. It's just the voice dialogue that gets cut off, and like you said, I think that could be the reason why.

Back