Wars

Actually, the game's made to be played on anything, so yes, the Pandora is a valid concern. Especially since Wars-Django works fine on Chromium (heard nothing about the other browsers).

OK, on MIDORI, the Map scrolling in the Dev Version works too, must be some Firefox Problem then. ^^

The normal WARS Version however seems to not work in Midori, site does but map window doesn't show up. But no problem, I have more than enough Browsers on my Pandora. :D

During playing with the beta I noticed that there could be a mini map, could be useful for larger maps.
I've planned implementing map scaling (100%/75%/50%/25%/fit the screen), which should help.

And I noticed that the map doesn't scroll on the Pandora when I use the D-Pad. I thought that the D-Pad is mapped to the arrow keys so it should work actualy, it does on the PC without problems. Not sure if this is a Mapping problem of the Pandora or a browser problem. :unsure:

But it is not that important, the game isn't made for Pandora. Otherwise I would suggest optional cursor controls like in AW or so. ^^
It does scroll, but you need to give the map element focus first by clicking on it. The D-Pad is mapped straight to the arrow keys, so it works the same on desktop and on pandora.

Back on track! The latest git version of socket.io fixed the problem. It actually handled the requests wrong. Anyway, just added persistent game chat :)

EDIT: also had to wipe the database on dev server :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've planned implementing map scaling (100%/75%/50%/25%/fit the screen), which should help.
Dangerous, at least my graphicas are no way designed to be looking good when resized. :ph34r: I can't guarantee that you don't have "mud mixing" after resizing the map. ;)

It does scroll, but you need to give the map element focus first by clicking on it. The D-Pad is mapped straight to the arrow keys, so it works the same on desktop and on pandora.
Does not work on Firefox at my Pandora, you can click like mad in the map, no response from the Arrow Keys. Midori however works well. :)

Back on track! The latest git version of socket.io fixed the problem. It actually handled the requests wrong. Anyway, just added persistent game chat :)

EDIT: also had to wipe the database on dev server :p
Does this mean I have to register again? ^^

Is my redesigned map saved? If not, I still have the export file. ;)

Dangerous, at least my graphicas are no way designed to be looking good when resized. :ph34r: I can't guarantee that you don't have "mud mixing" after resizing the map. ;)
Possibly, but it's very handy on larger maps. Currently I do this with browser's page zoom, but I'd like an actual feature to support it.

Does not work on Firefox at my Pandora, you can click like mad in the map, no response from the Arrow Keys. Midori however works well. :)
You're right! That's strange. I'll have to look into it.

Does this mean I have to register again? ^^

Is my redesigned map saved? If not, I still have the export file. ;)
Yes, register again and import your map back :) . Every time I add a feature that changes the database layout I need to wipe the DB.

EDIT: It seems that the scroll focus in firefox is always in the sidebar for some reason :eek:

EDIT2: ...except when you open a build dialog larger than the view. Then the scroll focus moves to the build dialog, which for some reason doesn't show a scrollbar

EDIT3: ...and the chat window shows up too wide in pandora's firefox too. Weird how differently it functions from the desktop version.

Funny, I thought all Browsers today have the same Web Standards as a common base. ^^ The times of the weird Internet Explorer "compatibility" hacks are gone at least.

Oh, by the way "build dialg": I would recommend to sort the units after the price, cheapest unit at the beginning. You could make this optional if you want to keep the current order which seems to go after the unit class or so.

At the moment it is possible to oversee units you can build, at least for me because I have these price based dialog thing in my head so I even oversee the APC sometimes which is at the end of the dialog AFAIK. :lol:

Funny, I thought all Browsers today have the same Web Standards as a common base. ^^ The times of the weird Internet Explorer "compatibility" hacks are gone at least.
There's some variation in handling the non-standard stuff, like focus. As far as standards go, most browsers are nowadays quite compliant.

Oh, by the way "build dialg": I would recommend to sort the units after the price, cheapest unit at the beginning. You could make this optional if you want to keep the current order which seems to go after the unit class or so.

At the moment it is possible to oversee units you can build, at least for me because I have these price based dialog thing in my head so I even oversee the APC sometimes which is at the end of the dialog AFAIK. :lol:
Very true. They're currently just ordered by unit type ID, which is by no means a sensible way to order them :)

I think the AA vehicle looks too much like the light artillery. Maybe redoing the gun entirely would help (a long, grey gunbarrel, maybe?). The APCs look good, as do the scout cars, but the new health numbers might be too small. Keep up the good work!

Ooh! Nice as always :) . The AA vehicle looks a bit like a SAM vehicle, but I guess you have something bigger in store for the SAM :p . I especially like the artilleries. They portray very well what I was going for :) . The APC and scout look really good too. Made a public game with all the units you can use to check them out. See the spectate menu for the link.

There seems to be a rendering order bug in the currently running version. I'm in the middle of quite a refactoring on the database interface so I'll fix it later.

I also have some Life things to take care of in the coming months which will eat away some of my development time. We'll see how this goes...

EDIT: OH! And new numbers <3! I tried them out and they don't seem that small.

wars-gamenode_fusion-theme_3.png

I think the AA vehicle looks too much like the light artillery. Maybe redoing the gun entirely would help (a long, grey gunbarrel, maybe?). The APCs look good, as do the scout cars, but the new health numbers might be too small. Keep up the good work!
I've tried to make them different enough to get not confused. I also thought about using a 4x Flak or so for the small AA Vehicle but this would've been to tiniy IMHO. So I used the little Rocket AA on the Humvee. Actualy it looks like this in real:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/imgs/hmmwv-avenger.jpg

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/imgs/hmmwv-avenger_2.jpg

I hope this is OK even if the Info Table of Wars says that the small AA Vehicle only has a AA-Cannon. ^^"" I used equal vehicles for these units to show that they are all belong to the "light vehicle" class.

The current numbers I found just to big, doesn't fit to my Units IMHO. I resized them and hoped it will look good in the game. B-ZaRs Screenshot shows me that it does. :D

Ooh! Nice as always :) . The AA vehicle looks a bit like a SAM vehicle, but I guess you have something bigger in store for the SAM :p . I especially like the artilleries. They portray very well what I was going for :) . The APC and scout look really good too. Made a public game with all the units you can use to check them out. See the spectate menu for the link.
Thanks, glad that you like it. ^^ And you can bet the SAM Vehicle will be bigger. ;) It is defined as Heavy Vehicle so of course it will be heavy. But first I'm working on the Heavy Artillery, will be something like this:

http://www.panzerskulls.de/sonstieges/Bf2/usi/us/mlrs.jpg

Actually, the AA Vehicle has a machine gun, too. It's great for mowing down infantry. Maybe you could put a bit more emphasis on said machine gun, at least for the AA Vehicle.

Actually, the AA Vehicle has a machine gun, too. It's great for mowing down infantry. Maybe you could put a bit more emphasis on said machine gun, at least for the AA Vehicle.
If you look very closeley, you can spot that my AA Vehicle also has a MG drawn in between the 2 Rocket Pods. :D

However, A nice Double Minigun would be usable against AA and Ground units. I will see. But first I have to continue with the other units, I'm not even at the Ships and Planes yet. ^^""

If you look very closeley, you can spot that my AA Vehicle also has a MG drawn in between the 2 Rocket Pods. :D

However, A nice Double Minigun would be usable against AA and Ground units. I will see. But first I have to continue with the other units, I'm not even at the Ships and Planes yet. ^^""

I saw the small minigun. But it's just my own opinion that you should lengthen said minigun a bit to distinguish it from the small artillery.

I saw the small minigun. But it's just my own opinion that you should lengthen said minigun a bit to distinguish it from the small artillery.
No Problem. Only 4 Pixels or so to draw, could be worse. :D

Fixed the render order bug.
GZ.

What do you think, how could tiles with bigger height than one tile work? I just ask in case, maybe for later graphics like a big HQ and overlapping mountains. Not sure how to draw this at all.

I also wonder if it is possible to draw the shadows under air units seperate from the sprite, so the distance could differ when for example the plane is "landing" over a airport or the Heli loads troops.

I just found it hard to step in a flying Heli, so a adjustable offset of these Unis would be a cool feature. But this only works with variable Shadows.

I know this is future stuff and not that important, I just do brainstorming. ^^

Oh, what do you think, do make reefs sense in your game? Could give a little bit of defense to sea units but it is also not a important game element. I also speculate if it makes sense to merge the Gunboat with the AA boat... ^^

Also fixed carrier indicators.

GZ.

What do you think, how could tiles with bigger height than one tile work? I just ask in case, maybe for later graphics like a big HQ and overlapping mountains. Not sure how to draw this at all.
I'm thinking something like this:

Code:
   +--------+

|        | transparent background (RGBA transparency)

|   ::   | 24px

+---,.---+

|  ,...  |

| ,..... | solid background

|,.......| 48px

|********|

+--------+

48px

Still working out how this should work in the sprite sheet.

I also wonder if it is possible to draw the shadows under air units seperate from the sprite, so the distance could differ when for example the plane is "landing" over a airport or the Heli loads troops.

I just found it hard to step in a flying Heli, so a adjustable offset of these Unis would be a cool feature. But this only works with variable Shadows.

I know this is future stuff and not that important, I just do brainstorming. ^^
Not with the current system. Maybe some future client with a more sophisticated rendering system :)

Oh, what do you think, do make reefs sense in your game? Could give a little bit of defense to sea units but it is also not a important game element.
Reefs are certainly a possibility. Let's see about them after I reach 1.0 :)

I also speculate if it makes sense to merge the Gunboat with the AA boat... ^^
No, it would make them too versatile IMO. Basically their only natural enemy would be land-based artillery at that point, which narrows down possible attack vectors against them too much.

I'm thinking something like this:

Code:
   +--------+

|        | transparent background (RGBA transparency)

|   ::   | 24px

+---,.---+

|  ,...  |

| ,..... | solid background

|,.......| 48px

|********|

+--------+

48px

Still working out how this should work in the sprite sheet.
Ah, I see, good idea :) . So the base is a normal "solid" ground tile like before and we even could keep the current tile positions for this part. And the top piece of that will be a additional, transparent "overlay" (maybe a fixed position sprite or so?) so stuff can vanish behind. Cool, this way we even could improve normal Buildings. :) I'm really glad that I made most of this stuff in 3D so re-rendering with an alternative Cam position is no Problem. ^^

EDIT: I tested again in the beta and at the moment I can't kill an enemy unit. ^^

They can go down to 1 hp but since then I can't finish them off.

That coupled with some other feedback I've received brings me to think there's something wrong with deleting units. I'll check it, possibly today.

Back