Wars

The efficiency indicators could be a good addition. I'll put them to 1.1 milestone for now.

Those are very faithful to the original AW2 tiles :) . You know what would be awesome? Someone forking wars-gamenode and making a webgl-based client with 3D in-game graphics :p
I'm just finishing a WebGL-based masters now and would mind taking a look at doing something...

I should be able to start in about a week's time when I get more free time.

Where is the code located?

Fixed a nasty asynchronity-induced bug. Also fixed the surrendering. Adding game events had broken the game update that it caused.

Where is the code located?
https://github.com/bzar/wars-gamenode

You'll probably mostly modify client/game.js and client/game.html. Otherwise you should be able to interface with the existing stuff nicely :) . Oh, and client/map.js if you want to also render the map thumbnails differently :) . Looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with :)

You'll need a recent node.js to run it. Just do:

Code:
git clone git://github.com/bzar/wars-gamenode.git  # clone the repo

cd wars-gamenode                                   # switch to project dir

git submodule init                                 # initialize git submodules (gamenode, d3)

git submodule update                               # fetch submodules

node wars                                          # start server

...and it should be running at localhost:8888 :)

EDIT: If you get something nice done, I can probably make it so that themes can also override client code/markup. That way the 3D game view could actually be integrated as a separate theme instead of a second implementation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I pass this time in case you want me to make the sprites for a possible 3D Version of the game. Other People can earn the fame for that. ^^ My 3D Models are actualy not suited for real 3D usage in a game, so I would have to start from scratch for this. You need another source of the units this time, sorry.

However, I continued the 2D sprites and now the Air Units are also finished! :) Now for the more complicated stuff, the Sea Units. :ph34r:

Well, I pass this time in case you want me to make the sprites for a possible 3D Version of the game. Other People can earn the fame for that. ^^ My 3D Models are actualy not suited for real 3D usage in a game, so I would have to start from scratch for this. You need another source of the units this time, sorry.

Hmm, good point. I'm not really much of an artist either. I could start with a Proof Of Concept and hopefully someone else will decide they want to do some 3D modelling for it?

Fusion_Power: Updated the sprite sheet. You're saving the best for last, eh :p ? I've been getting comments about the mountains not blending into the grass ("they look like they're floating") which you've mentioned before as well, and cities/bases not fitting well with the roads. The general opinion on your theme has been very positive. Thought I'd relay these back to you :)

j0n: Probably a good idea. If you have any questions about the data structures and stuff, don't hesitate to ask.

Maybe just ask this guy from deviantart if you could use his models. They are made from scratch so it shouldn't be a problem even if the original are from Advance Wars. :) However, he made them with Google Sketchup, I ever used this program and I could not even import the models in Blender. So no clue if this stuff could work in an actual game. But I know from "Paper Wars" that a 3D turn based AW inspired game can be pretty good. ^^

Somehow I find alot of great graphics in the Web, there are entire communities that do amazing Pixel Art. But it seem somehow they never come together with Coders to put all these 2D and 3D arts in a actual game. Somehow it seems, they're living in 2 different dimensions, coders don't find artists and Artists don't find coders... :unsure:

Fusion_Power: Updated the sprite sheet. You're saving the best for last, eh :p ? I've been getting comments about the mountains not blending into the grass ("they look like they're floating") which you've mentioned before as well, and cities/bases not fitting well with the roads. The general opinion on your theme has been very positive. Thought I'd relay these back to you :)
funny, I did the Buildings mainly after your original art, there were also small gaps in between the roads and the Ground of the buildings, same for the Advance Wars graphics by the way. ^^ I thought it is good to show some grass for the case the building is standing not near a road. But I know what you mean, maybe I redo this, I also think of making the City out of an 3D Model.

I already made some slightly adjustments of the mountain but I guess I'll try to make a new one. I wonder what could be the trick, because in Advance Wars the Mountains are also more or less a "Sugarloaf" ontop of the ground, but onbody complained. :D

The efficiency indicators could be a good addition. I'll put them to 1.1 milestone for now.
Great!
smile.gif

Those are very faithful to the original AW2 tiles
smile.gif
. You know what would be awesome? Someone forking wars-gamenode and making a webgl-based client with 3D in-game graphics
tongue.gif
I also thought something like this. The maker of these 3D stuff wrote about, that someone could using it in a game. SOme 3D AW remake would be cool, maybe WARS could be the base but then with AI computer players I hope. Maybe we can inspire someone to make some 3D experiments with this kind of game? ^^

Cool Sprite Sheet. What did you use to draw them if you don't mind me asking?
My graphics?

For the Ground tiles I used Photoshop. For the Buildings and the Units I used Blender. It's 3D graphics resized and adjusted to 2D Sprites.
wink.gif

Most Cool. Now I'm inspired to start Sprite building again.

Found out about node-http-proxy today. It seems to be one of the few reverse proxies that actually supports WebSockets. Did a quick test with it and wars-gamenode seems to work nicely through it. Not sure if it's as efficient as nginx, but as long as nginx lags behind with HTTP/1.1 support I think I'll use this one. I'll let the testers know when WebSocket connections should be available.

Most Cool. Now I'm inspired to start Sprite building again.

I'm happy when I inspire people. :D

Found out about node-http-proxy today. It seems to be one of the few reverse proxies that actually supports WebSockets. Did a quick test with it and wars-gamenode seems to work nicely through it. Not sure if it's as efficient as nginx, but as long as nginx lags behind with HTTP/1.1 support I think I'll use this one. I'll let the testers know when WebSocket connections should be available.
Uh, this is about what? ^^" what does this do? "reverse proxy", "WebSockets"... not my language. :D

So, I'm not done with the ships yet, took ages to build one (as I expected) but I send you a new Sprite Sheet with the first ready Ship, because I made some general improvements here and there and want to see how it looks ingame. Buildings are now "seamless", especialy the Cities and I've tried to improve the mountain as well. Only for Blue Protoman I changed the AA Vehicle, I hope now it fits a little bit better in appearence.

Hey FP, I was wondering.... Would it be difficult to implement another sprite sheet? Maybe make the game more modular where you can decide whether you wanted to make space theme, medieval theme, etc. Maybe make each set a little different to increase the replayability? I'm not a coder at all, except for the occasional IRC Script so I don't have a real understanding on how difficult it would be. I would be willing to take a crack at it though. :blink:

You better should ask B-ZaR, he is the coder. ;)

The game units are "modern" units, even if you change the graphics, they still keep their ingame names and values. If you replace a Airplane with a Dragon for example or whatever, it wouldn't make much sense I guess. :D So you can draw your alternativ theme but it should fit in the current frame of Unit types. ^^

You better should ask B-ZaR, he is the coder. ;)

The game units are "modern" units, even if you change the graphics, they still keep their ingame names and values. If you replace a Airplane with a Dragon for example or whatever, it wouldn't make much sense I guess. :D So you can draw your alternativ theme but it should fit in the current frame of Unit types. ^^

OK B-Zar? Can this be made modular without it being a large amount of butt pain? Like a file or two that can be replaced with alternate data so the Units HP, MP, etc can be adjusted for the spriteset you choose?

As for replacing a bomber with a dragon, it would be replacing one theme item with another theme item of equal value. :blink:

The graphics are currently themable, but changing the underlying values wouldn't be TOO much a hassle. Basically both front- and backend use a single file to define the units/tiles etc and another to specify mapping unit/tile types to sprite sheet locations. Currently the used sprite sheet can be chosen from user profile, but the unit/tile specifications are fixed. I have, however built the whole thing with custom rulesets in mind ;) .

Coding a support for UI changeable rulesets is not yet planned (maybe someday), but maintaining a fork with just different units would be a breeze. Just clone the git, modify "gameElements.js" and "image_map.js" (not needed if you keep the number of tiles and units the same), create a fitting theme and it should all work. When wars gets updated, just pull the changes.

If you want to do something like this, I can write you a more detailed guide :)

The graphics are currently themable, but changing the underlying values wouldn't be TOO much a hassle. Basically both front- and backend use a single file to define the units/tiles etc and another to specify mapping unit/tile types to sprite sheet locations. Currently the used sprite sheet can be chosen from user profile, but the unit/tile specifications are fixed. I have, however built the whole thing with custom rulesets in mind ;) .

Coding a support for UI changeable rulesets is not yet planned (maybe someday), but maintaining a fork with just different units would be a breeze. Just clone the git, modify "gameElements.js" and "image_map.js" (not needed if you keep the number of tiles and units the same), create a fitting theme and it should all work. When wars gets updated, just pull the changes.

If you want to do something like this, I can write you a more detailed guide :)

I would love to try it. I accept your offer. Thanks

First I'd like to mention that wars-gamenode (which I suggest you'll base your version on) is still under development, but moving forward at a nice pace. After you install node.js You can use the instructions I gave j0n to get the game running on your computer.

Open server/gameElements.js to modify the game terrains and units (basically, this file contains all the stuff in the "info" page of wars-django). The parts you are modifying are lists like armorList and unitTypeList. You can check the type declarations (like Armor) at the top of the file to see what all the parameters are (I'll gladly explain each if you have trouble making out what something does). I suggest you keep the number of tiles and units the same until you're familiar with the image_map.js file.

After you've defined your weapons, armors, unit types, terrains, etc. try modifying client/img/themes/pixel/sprite_sheet.png to give your units a different appearance.

If you want to add/remove units or tiles, you'll need to modify the mapping between units/tiles and the sprite sheet. This is (at least, currently) done by modifying client/image_map.js, which is a bit cryptic ;) (it's ugly, I know). Basically it contains an array with three items: "tiles", "units" and "other". The "tiles" item contains an array with an item for each terrain (same order as in terrainList). Those items contain an array with an item for each terrain subtype (like different road tiles). Those items in part contain an array with an item for each player that can own the tile (first is neutral, then player 1, player 2...). Those items contain the x and y coordinates of that specific tile type-subtype-owner combination in the sprite sheet. The "units" item is laid out the same way, but unit type-owner (no subtypes in units). The "other" item currently only contains the life indicator numbers. I plan to make this simpler in the future :D

I'm sure you have some questions after you check these out. Feel free to ask :)

EDIT: Also updated fusion theme sprite sheet :) . The cruisers look nice, even when they're on bridges :D

Wow, Fusion, these look great!
Thanks. ^^

EDIT: Also updated fusion theme sprite sheet :) . The cruisers look nice, even when they're on bridges :D
Ouch. :D

I better don't look at the Bridges that closeley when a Ship is OVER it. ^^ I try to focus on my fresh new Cities instead, they look better now, especialy when a bunch of them is close together. ;)

However, during a quick test sesion I noticed, that the Unit offset causes some small trouble on the top of the map aream see pic:

http://www.abload.de...arstestk7q0.jpg

I recommend to make some kind of frame around the Map window where Units are drawn over this frame, so Units on the top row of the Map  don't get covered by the browser area there. Could be the Team Colour Frame, which is still missing. Maybe 24px thick, should be enough. Not to thick and not to thin. :)

I actually took out the team color frame. It was there for some time. It didn't fit with the new UI layout well. I'll try to find a way to indicate the turn better though (in the roadmap at 1.0).

I have been thinking about adding some padding to the top. Basically it would mean that units wouldn't be drawn higher than tiles, but tiles would be drawn lower :D . No idea what to put in that empty space though...

Maybe lowering the map drawing and leave the space empty. Show the background or something, I would use another colour instead of white by the way, I hate white backgrounds in websites. :D Units have to be drawn over this area of course, so I guess thiss is the challenge. :)

I'm really for Team colour indication who's turn is active, I even have trouble to see instantly who's turn is active when playing against myself. :D

Another reminder, How about to drop the loading indicators of empty carrier vehicles? Just show a indicator if a unit is actualy loaded - or 2 indicators when 2 units are loaded. Much less confusing than these permanent white "empty" indicators IMHO. ;)

So, here is the Sprite sheet with the last Sea units. The Carrier turned out better than I hoped (first, I had no clue how to draw a carrier ship). The last thing to do would be to add new Soldier graphics but since I have absoluteley no talent in drawing "organic" stuff I'm not sure If I can make some suitable Soldiers. At least they should be a little bit smaller than the current ones IMHO.

I removed the player color frame because it didn't fit the page's graphical layout. I intend to add better turn indication, as I already stated :)

I think the empty indicators are good, because they convey useful information about the units. They could be more made obvious, of course, but I don't think taking them out altogether is a good idea. I'll try to make them better.

Yay, more sea units! I'll update this sprite sheet to the server today :)

The soldiers are the hardest, I know :p . I spent the most amount of time out of all the units in "pixel" on them :)

Back