Wars

I think, like the shipyard, things should be less obviously coloured. It's mainly the buildings that I find a little over the top.

The factory, for example, could have the grey wall throughout, and a grey fascia to the building, but a different coloured roof to indicate player ownership.

It would be awesome if the vehicles followed suit, but it's so complicated to colour accent something so small.

Really loving the new sprites, though :D

New fusion units in action!

Added support for email notifications today. They are not currently enabled on the test server, because I haven't implemented a setting for disabling them yet and I don't want a bunch of spam while testing :D

Boats are on the bridge for your viewing pleasure :p

wars-gamenode_preview_7.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, like the shipyard, things should be less obviously coloured. It's mainly the buildings that I find a little over the top.

The factory, for example, could have the grey wall throughout, and a grey fascia to the building, but a different coloured roof to indicate player ownership.

It would be awesome if the vehicles followed suit, but it's so complicated to colour accent something so small.

Really loving the new sprites, though :D

Actualy, I'm pretty unhappy with the Shipyard because there is so little space for team colouring, I was glad that I added a buoy to get a little bit more of colour space. :D

I think, clear team ownership is important and the huge coloured surfaces onto the Buildings make clear who owns it. Remember, there are often Units on top of these tiles so it is important that you still can see the colour of the Building underneeth. ;)

I have no plans to change this at the moment. And never forget: "form follows function" ^^

The soldiers are the hardest, I know :p . I spent the most amount of time out of all the units in "pixel" on them :)
Yes, it is amazing how Nintendo did the much smaller AW Infantry Sprites in a way that you still can clearly see what it is, really an art of its own. ^^

If I could, I would simply use the biggger battle scene sprites from Advance Wars for the Players and we are done. ;)

New fusion units in action!

Added support for email notifications today. They are not currently enabled on the test server, because I haven't implemented a setting for disabling them yet and I don't want a bunch of spam while testing :D

Boats are on the bridge for your viewing pleasure :p
yes, the first thing I usualy deactivate is this E-Mail Function. :D

And I actualy did the Ship-over-bridge-stunt by myself, pretty sturdy my bridges, they can stand the weight of an entire Battle Ship. XD

Email notifications are up. You can set a default value for the email sending option in "My profile" and change the setting for each game separately from the game view. This differs slightly from wars-django, as e-mail settings are game-specific, not player-specific. If you have several players in one game, you only need to change the setting once.

Fusion_Power: Just noticed the new cities, bases and mountains! They worked so well with the theme I missed them completely :D . Looks a lot nicer now!

You sir, are awesomepants.

Yay, my new system for limited turn time works :) ! The game server now handles turn timeouts all on its own, and doesn't require anyone to peek at the game for a turn change to happen, like in wars-django. Not committed/updated to dev server yet since it lacks a display for the remaining time and all, but the basic idea of how it works seems to be sound. I actually nicked the timer from a tiny web-based MUD I started at one point :D . Never got very far doing it, but the realtime update system was nice and efficient.

As an explanation of my reverse proxy post (forgot to explain it back then): A reverse HTTP proxy allows one server to host multiple HTTP-based applications on a single port by multiplexing connections based on the domain name they send with their requests. If you connect to my server using the domain name wars.ewlan.info, you'll be redirected internally to the Apache server currently running wars. If you connect using to orbited.wars.ewlan.info, you'll reach the orbited event server that handles wars's game events. This means I don't need to put all the services to different ports (some places firewall ports, so you wouldn't be able to play from those locations), but different subdomains. The problem I ran into is websockets, which most of the more efficient reverse proxies don't handle well or at all, so I'd either have to serve the websocket-backend on another port or lose it completely. Fortunately I found node-http-proxy, which does exactly what I want it to do. Websockets are the part about gamenode that are going to make creating native clients easy, so I have some motivation to get them working right in an actual deployment setup.

Email notifications are up. You can set a default value for the email sending option in "My profile" and change the setting for each game separately from the game view. This differs slightly from wars-django, as e-mail settings are game-specific, not player-specific. If you have several players in one game, you only need to change the setting once.
Yes, I've already spotted the general mail option in the settings. ^^

Fusion_Power: Just noticed the new cities, bases and mountains! They worked so well with the theme I missed them completely :D . Looks a lot nicer now!

You sir, are awesomepants.
Hehe, you can pay me in adding decent Bots for some quick AI fights some day. ;)

The Cities turned out better than I thought first. I've redone them because in Blender I can make good looking Shadows within seconds. And the Cities are now more or less seamless, if you want to rebuild Metropolis or so. :)

citybunchsc1y.png

By the way, I managed to make some Decent Soldiers in Blender ,was not easy since I first had to study how "Armatures" work, with this Skelleton thingy you can pose your Models. So I guess tomorrow my Sprite sheet will be complete. :)

So, last update, I hope. After long Blender and Photoshop sessions till 3:00 AM I call this Graphics Project finished. :lol: Here are the last missing Sprites, the Infantry. I know why I hate to make "organic" stuff. Never again! ^^"

B-ZaR, for my Theme, could you alter all GUI graphics of the 4. Army to green? Because there still is the limeblue colour which actualy doesn't match to my Green Army. ^^" Would be nice if every Graphic Theme also could have the matching Colours in GUI elements. :)

Wow, you did a good job with those soldiers! Much better than I was expecting you would, actually.

Yes, making Vehicles, Ships or Airplanes is not hard, compared to make humans or Lifeforms. ^^" I have even more Respect for all people with these Skills. :)

Updated the sprite sheet. Those soldiers do look good :)

Fusion_Power: I'll update the color when I add the feature to actually have theme-dependent UI colors.

wars-gamenode_preview_7.png

Implemented limited turn time.

EDIT: ...and there's a bug. The first turn is not time-limited. Fixing. Fixed

Uh, is there a reason why my game automaticly switches round in record speed? I can't do anything, the end-turn comes automaticly within a milisecond. :(

I hate limited turn time by the way also the first thing I deactivate. :p

EDIT: now it is completely broken, it reached round 60 and I was not even logged in. o.0 maybe you better check you turn time limit or so. ^^""

EDIT2: yupp, nothing goes anymore, can't even make a new game. Site is slow as hell, Menu entries suddenly double and so on.

My bad! Fixing it right now :D

Also making themes a bit more fleshed out.

EDIT: Fixed. Worth noting that first turn in each running game after a server boot is always infinite length. This is because I haven't implemented resuming the timers, but I think it's not a bad feature either. It's a rare occasion and I think it would be unfair to punish the player who was in turn during the server boot.

EDIT2: That menu duplication happens sometimes when an unexpected error occurs. Will be fixed for 1.0.

Fusion_Power: Themes can now define the player colors. Set the colors you provided earlier for fusion theme.

EDIT: GAH the turn time limits are still buggy! Needs more debugging!

Do you need my base colours again? I can give them to you if you want:

RED TEAM: #db0000

BLUE TEAM: #0000e7

YELLOW TEAM: #c4c400

GREEN TEAM: #00c400

Do you need my base colours again? I can give them to you if you want:

RED TEAM: #db0000

BLUE TEAM: #0000e7

YELLOW TEAM: #c4c400

GREEN TEAM: #00c400
I'll set them to those. I previously set them to the ones in the picture you posted here at some point, but those are a bit different.

EDIT: done

Finished games don't disappear from the home page.
They do for me :eek: . I'll look into this.

EDIT: Oh, and limited time turns work now.

I made the red and blue lighter, it is already in all units but I was not sure if it also was in the first colour sheet I gave you. But now these Colours are correct. :)

Yes, the games I#ve started have finished by themselves but I can't delete them. ^^ 2. game I did not even play, it just jumped to the end because of the bug. :D

Turns and general Game feels a little bit slow by the way, there is alot of "lag" before actions happen, I guess you already mentioned this.

Back