Was it worth it to get the GP2X?

• Yes, and I'd do it again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, stay away

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kichigai

Still Fresh
I'm wondering if people think their purchase of the GP2X was worth it. I've read a lot about major SD card problems, difficulties upgrading the firmware, horrendous battery lives, and screen problems, to say nothing about screen problems (both minor and otherwise).

So, what's the general consensus here? Are these problems just afflicting a minority, or are these common problems. Do you think your GP2X was worth it? Would you buy it again? Or should I steer clear?

FYI: I am adept at Linux, though I use OS X now. I have access to an x86 machine that dual-boots.

While the issues are disconcerting the concept of the 2X is sound. There havent been any egotistical posturings by the company and while 180 bucks is a little steep I think once development gets a little more regular with people getting used to the environment of the system it will be well worth it.

I feel like it could very well match the GP32 interms of being a cool useful entertainment device.

I don't regret it one bit... as long as my headphone jack doesnt break off. I am pretty sure my screen and battery problems can be sorted by firmware upgrades. My USB worked out of the box. I am holding off on buying a bigger SD card until further notice though.

So far it has been great and is showing a lot of promise provided the devs don't abandon us any time soon.

It rocks.

My friend says "it's so small, it's tiny, I just can't believe it's so small."

It is perfect(hardware, software is coming)

Well I got my unit yesterday at 3:00pm....and thanks for the helps in this forum....I was able to locate a useful guide on how todL the new firmware and did all the necessary preparation, and I also tried out some of the emulators .....and able to listen to MP3, view the low resolution pictures, got a new skin of the unit by 5:00pm!!!!!! and keep in mind....I am not a programmer. the last computer course I took was almost 10 years agp : )

What I am trying to say is that for me , GP2x is a very user friendly....unlike the XG -writer I have for the GBA, i took me only one time to get my PC to recognzie the device.,...and I guess I need to say I am lucky because the sandisk 1GB card works perfectly with the system from the beginning.....

IF for some reason I break my units in the next few months, I will go out and purchase another one without hestiation.....

Now...I just waiting for the perfect emualtor to come out for the SNES ,MD and arcades games ....

Rudolph

was it worth it !?!!?

this is one amazing little machine. its only been out for about 10 seconds, and people are already releasing software for it so rapidly that I can't keep up with it all!

On mine so far I'm already running:
- C64 emulator running stuff like Uridium, Speedball2, Space Taxi, Hunters Moon etc.
- Quake port, cool!
- TileMatch
- Flashback port
- NES emulator with the old classix like 1942 etc.
- Rockdodger (cool homebrew)
- Transport Tycoon port, early release but still wow!

and there are some clever busy people working on more demanding emulators like SNES (a slow beta released), Megadrive, NeoGeoCD.
and PSX would you believe it? - though I'm not sure if this one will ever be fully 'viable' to be honest.

I like the idea of making my own skins for the frontend. plus there's a dev kit which I fancy having a go at, being a seasoned C++ programmer. The idea of developing for an open platform really appeals to me. The thrill of "Look, my program is running on a little handheld, NOT a PC!" :)

there are problems with it, but its early days, and my one has been fine so far. I guess it depends on what you are really after, but if you're already into the GP32 and homebrew scene, then this is like the next step, and it rocks :D

I dont really feel as excited as i did when the gp32 was going through the motions. But thats obvious since now we know what to expect game/emu wise.

I dont really know what problems you are refering to because my unit seems fine, although it does throw a wobbly at everything i try if my batteries are low. (that has to be sorted tbh)

I havnt upgraded the firmware yet since im one of those people who stands back and waits to see if its worth it.

I think its worth it tho - although i would like quake to run just a bit faster :)

edit: plus duke3d, what more could u want

I found my lost "hacker enthusiasm" with this toy. I'm spending much more time developing and experimenting than playing

It's just great :lol:

is it worth it?

I believe that was good joke, right?

It was one of the best deal I've ever made!!!

Actually, I was also worried before I've got mine, but hey, all those moanings are exaggerated (or just not so big problems for me, at least).

EDIT:-||shrubberyrobbery

shrubberyrobbery posted on Dec 5 2005 at 10:03 AM said:
and there are some clever busy people working on more demanding emulators like SNES (a slow beta released), Megadrive, NeoGeoCD.

Yes, I can't catch up the speed of evolution of GP2X either :D

BTW, try new SNES (unstable yet, though), it has full speed without sound already :lol:
And NeoGeoCD, too. (this one is stable :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
mittens posted on Dec 5 2005 at 04:36 AM said:
shrubberyrobbery posted on Dec 5 2005 at 10:03 AM said:

Yes, I can't catch up the speed of evolution of GP2X either :D

BTW, try new SNES (unstable yet, though), it has full speed without sound already :lol:
And NeoGeoCD, too. (this one is stable :) )

Now I'm just a little confused at the moment... do you mean the SNES9X port or SNESgp2x? This is the only part that's confusing me.

As far as everyone else, I think I'm convinced. Reading about some of the problems people were having with their GP2X kinda had me worried, but the resounding 94% of people saying they're happy, my fears have been satisfied. Now all that's confusing me is a bit about video formats (containers, not codecs) and which SNES emulator people are referring to.

Thanks for all your help.

Hmm, nope, actually I'm still very tempted to get one myself even though I keep telling myself I shouldn't cos it'd probably end up on a shelf when I get my PDA...
But since I don't have one myself, I didn't vote, was just checking the results.

Drak's sig:
LOL.003.gif

The war is won!

Nope, it's not...

LOL.003.gif

(403,182 bytes)

BlackCatGIF.gif

(521,761 bytes)

His sig and avatar compined are still almost a Meg big...

BTW: Just checked the Avatar Upload screen, it says: Your avatar must be no bigger than 80 pixels by 109 pixels in size. Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 10 KB.

i was a little disapointed at first with the gp2x's build quality, but i beginning to be won over now with the slew of apps and emus out there.

Kichigai posted on Dec 5 2005 at 03:35 PM said:
Now I'm just a little confused at the moment... do you mean the SNES9X port or SNESgp2x? This is the only part that's confusing me.

There is only one SNES emu for GP2X at the moment.
And it has two cores from SNES9X and OPENSNES.

The asm core has almost full speed but buggy, C core has sound and stable but slow.

Back