Webcam Software

Charred

Still Fresh
Well, I recently picked up a playstation eyetoy from a friend of mine. and got some pc drivers for it off the internet. it's a good webcam.

The problem is, the stuff that comes with the drivers for it is absolutely dismal, it looks like they copied a few old capture programs windows 98 and bashed them in with the drivers.

so. Does anyone know any good software for capturing AVIs with it, and taking jpegs with it.

I've looked all over the internet and all I could find were 15000 programs for turning your webcam into a surveillance motion detector thing. an ironic amount of software for taking avis and jpegs of OTHER people's webcams. and 200000000000 programs for taking pictures at regular intervals and uploading them ftps so you can have one of those "OOH OOH LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" webcams on your website.

I don't want those. just something for taking pictures at the press of a button and recording video clips in a similar manner.

any suggestions guys?

I also use an Eye Toy, and I use this:

http://dorgem.sourceforge.net/

It's easy to use, allows you to capture still photos and saves to a file. It also lets you host a HTTP Server so that people can watch you semi-live (Like a few seconds lag where it refreshes the page) but that might not be something you want to do - it's off by default I think. It doesn't let you record videos, but I use Windows Movie Maker for that, if you go on capture, you can record from the Eye Toy to file, and voila. :)

[Edit] Re-reading your post I see that the FTP thing really isn't for you, but don't be put off, as simply an image capture program it's handy and light-weight.

Thanks Mr. Mikey. I've tried Dorgem before I wasn't too fond of it, however.

I would like to point out, that the webcam software for the eyetoy comes with Amcap version 1. You can get version 9 these days, and that one does everything I'm wanting. albeit in a slightly hamfisted way. but I think it's case closed in that respect.

Reckon the odds are good someday we'd get the eyetoy to work on a GP2X? that could be fun.

I'm planning on taking apart my eyetoy, converting it to infrared, and using it for night visiony stuff..something like that on a portable doohickey like the gp2x could be lots of fun. :)

Back