Welcome To The Fantasy Zone!

Hmmm... this might sound like crazy talk... infact it probably is but with pandy`s screen res being 800x480 and the ds having Two 3-inch screens of 256 x 192 pixels then theoretically why not side by side... or switchable round so you one above the other and your pandy held like a book for games that need it... like some do... although its still no biggy cos you`d soon get used to it i think... or am i wrong? theoretically i mean (obviously im not in a position/nor am i able to produce an emulator to try it out lol) :huh:

Philly said:
Hmmm... this might sound like crazy talk... infact it probably is but with pandy`s screen res being 800x480 and the ds having Two 3-inch screens of 256 x 192 pixels then theoretically why not side by side... or switchable round so you one above the other and your pandy held like a book for games that need it... like some do... although its still no biggy cos you`d soon get used to it i think... or am i wrong? theoretically i mean (obviously im not in a position/nor am i able to produce an emulator to try it out lol) :huh:
SCREEN POSITION IS NOT THE PROBLEM WITH EMULATING THE DS!! ELWING WAS MAKING A JOKE!!!!
*explodes*

Last edited by a moderator:
Woman's work.

Speaking to the largest Stan-brain-chunk. So what is the problem? Didn't realise the cpus were so slow but still too quick if I use Exophases x7 rule. tick...tick..tick...

The problem is finding someone to do the work. :p That's about it.
And it is a fair chunk of work. Like, someone working for a few months kind of work.
As I recall, someone said they did a simple recompile of one of the existing x86 emulators, and it ran, but at a really slow frame rate. It would need to be totally rewritten to get some reasonable speed. Memory's a little fuzzy on any specific details though.
Also, I'd advise against attributing the x7 rule to Exophase. He hates it :p

WizardStan said:
Also, I'd advise against attributing the x7 rule to Exophase. He hates it :p
This time you've missed the joke :D

WizardStan said:
SCREEN POSITION IS NOT THE PROBLEM WITH EMULATING THE DS!! ELWING WAS MAKING A JOKE!!!!
*explodes*

lol, sorry, seems my try at joking opened the flame war pandora's box...

I say Pandora can't handle DS emulation because:

- On DS only one of the screens is touch capable but on Pandora both would be, so the DS game will get confused when you touch the wrong screen
- The audio output on DS is crappy 10-bit PWM, Pandora's will be too much better and won't sound right
- Pandora has too many keyboards and analog nubs
- Pandora doesn't have GBA compatible hardware
- The DS homebrew scene hates Pandora and would stop working on anything
- Some Sony lawsuit for some reason
- DS is capable of emulating N64 (see SM64DS) so you have to apply the 7x rule twice, so Pandora would need 49x MHz, and (66 + 33) * 49 = 4851MHz which is too high (for PC you need dual core 2.5+GHz)
- DS has two video cards, Pandora only has one
- There probably won't be a Pandora Lite, Pandorai, or PandoriLL/PandoraiXL

I'm trying so hard not to burst out laughing and be thought of as mad, here. :lol:

Gricey said:
Alpha2 said:
I spent a couple of weeks downloading Amiga and Sega CD games. I already had a huge collection of NES, SNES, GEN, TG16 and MAME games(some will work, some wont) I'd say I have roughly about 10gb of content already to put on my 16gb card. Also a few PSX games, but I'm thinking I'm going to wait to see what compatibility is like first before I start loading up a card with that.

I'm gonna need a bigger boat.

That said, I have DS in there which the Pandy can't do.

Code:
gricey@quicksilver:/mnt/gigantor/Emulation# du -sh *
24G	Amiga
1.8G	Amstrad
2.7G	Atari
453M	BBC Micro
4.7G	C64
129G	DS
304M	Gameboy
1.3G	GameboyColour
80M	GameGear
178G	MAME
3.5G	MegaDrive
5.7G	N64
19G	PinMAME
121G	PSX
5.3G	SNES
246M	Spectrum

I am slightly confused by some of your sizes you have. How do you have 5.3G of SNES and 3.5G of Genesis? I have pretty much ever game and my sizes are not that much. Of course I don't have an exact number for you but I know that I have more space taken by my GBA library which is over 4G. Another thats confusing is your gameboy color, those games are so small how do you have 1.3G? Also AMIGA you have 24G? How on earth do you have that much? I have 234+ games right now for AMIGA and its only like 1G! Of course all this is assuming that the G means GB really.

Derek said:
I am slightly confused by some of your sizes you have. How do you have 5.3G of SNES and 3.5G of Genesis? I have pretty much ever game and my sizes are not that much. Of course I don't have an exact number for you but I know that I have more space taken by my GBA library which is over 4G. Another thats confusing is your gameboy color, those games are so small how do you have 1.3G? Also AMIGA you have 24G? How on earth do you have that much? I have 234+ games right now for AMIGA and its only like 1G! Of course all this is assuming that the G means GB really.

What you're forgetting is there is often a LOT of material available for these old platforms. People collect "ROM sets" which can often include many duplicates of a single application, because they want to collect and preserve every version out there. Think of all the PD scene for Amiga, the Demo scene, the music, the apps, and trust me, there are LOTS of games for the humble old Miggy.

Exophase said:

- On DS only one of the screens is touch capable but on Pandora both would be, so the DS game will get confused when you touch the wrong screen
- The audio output on DS is crappy 10-bit PWM, Pandora's will be too much better and won't sound right
- Pandora has too many keyboards and analog nubs
- Pandora doesn't have GBA compatible hardware
- The DS homebrew scene hates Pandora and would stop working on anything
- DS is capable of emulating N64 (see SM64DS) so you have to apply the 7x rule twice, so Pandora would need 49x MHz, and (66 + 33) * 49 = 4851MHz which is too high (for PC you need dual core 2.5+GHz)
- DS has two video cards, Pandora only has one

So in other words you are saying the pandora can only emulate the 3DS then right? ;) LOL

Gricey said:
Derek said:

What you're forgetting is there is often a LOT of material available for these old platforms. People collect "ROM sets" which can often include many duplicates of a single application, because they want to collect and preserve every version out there. Think of all the PD scene for Amiga, the Demo scene, the music, the apps, and trust me, there are LOTS of games for the humble old Miggy.
WOW I didn't realize there was that much stuff. Hope I don't get my bandwidth capped LOL

Exophase said:

I just actually laughed out loud at a geek joke.

I'm having an identity crisis :(

[edit] it was REALLY funny though!

@exophase - nice answer - gutted you did bite though. :)
Wouldn't want to upset anyone that hates our guts.
Lawsuits...Yeah! Gone off Sony ever since the root-kit fiasco. Best avoid. Cheaper to buy a DS.

@W.Stan - glad you're up to speed. :p

Edit: Hell! My spelling today.

Exophase said:
For this, you deserve all of the n00b questions that you get.

Mr.Confuzed said:
Exophase said:
For this, you deserve all of the n00b questions that you get.
Well I liked it. :)

Derek said:
So in other words you are saying the pandora can only emulate the 3DS then right? ;) LOL

Yes, but it'll be more like 2.5DS. I'd give you the explanation but it's very technical :wacko:

Bahahahahaha :lol: I just came back to find that stan has exploded!
I didnt know DS`s hardware was so complex... I wasnt even thinking about performance TBH... I had a GBA emu on my 2x that could handle SOME of the GBA games and just assumed you were all thinking about what could technically be done... after all Ive seen footage of a dreamcast emu on a beagle board and a Playstation emu on a pandy... Its hard to know what some clever sod will do next...

I wont hope for DS Emuation stan... I dont care much for it anyway! :p

Back