What About Patents?

SoleGrave

After all the strife I wouldnt want to see this project get upstaged by some copy cat bastard. I know its all open source but how much of the Pandora is protected?

I know its all open source but how much of the Pandora is protected?
It's not opensource, actually. It's "open" in the sense that is has no copy-protection, and nothing is being kept obscure. But it is not "Open Hardware" as that term is understood in a free software context.

SoleGrave said:
After all the strife I wouldnt want to see this project get upstaged by some copy cat bastard.
I dunno ... How fast can the copycat bastard ship one to me?

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy said:
I dunno ... How fast can the copycat bastard ship one to me?

Ha lol
I get he's worried that all of OP's blood sweat tears could literally be washed down the drain.
But have a look at those KIRFs. They have sloppy hardware and always put "Dual SIM and analog TV tuners".
I don't think they'd nail it unlike iPad copies with Android.

Kangal said:
Ha lol
all of OP's blood sweat tears could literally be washed down the drain.
I don't think that word means what you think it does.

Tom` said:

I think you're literally on to something.

Tom` said:
Kangal said:
Ha lol

Maybe in the panic of the lawsuits I will fall over in the street while it's raining and... etc.

Even if someone did make knock off pandoras i'd still get an official one. The clones will probably have lousy build quality, cheap, unsafe batteries with barely an hour of capacity and lame hardware.

oh, i'd buy a knockoff probably, just to have it :p

They'd never get it right though, at least not within two months (acceptable? ; )

Seriously, it always amazes me when someone says (in the comments of one of the many reports on the Pandora) something along the lines of "it's only a matter of time before the Chinese get the specs, improve upon it, and sell it for cheaper." To which I respond "name one clone that is in any way superior to the original."
I'm still waiting for a response.

MarkoeZ said:

They'd never get it right though, at least not within two months (acceptable? ; )

sad_kitten.jpg

Attachments

• sad_kitten.jpg
    sad_kitten.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 38
B-ZaR said:
MarkoeZ said:

sad_kitten.jpg

Now don't get Gruso involved, please ;)

Attachments

• sad_kitten.jpg
    sad_kitten.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 35
A mesmerising scent has drawn me to this thread. What could it be?

craigix said:
Maybe in the panic of the lawsuits I will fall over in the street while it's raining and... etc.

Oh never mind, it's just Craig's tears.

SONY said:
Protected or unprotected...The CHINESE will rip ANYTHING OFF!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Can't raep the willing (Walmart's a good example). Study a little, that wasn't a quickwitted comment.

Everything's made in China, so it's not surprising that some company would take the steps to do this... I think even the "big factories" in China have smaller operations going on.

It's likely that even the smallest devices will be copied.
They've been doing it since the 80's (or that's when it was majorly exposed), so this would be shocking/surprising how??

Tom` said:
Kangal said:
Ha lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

lol

zevdawg said:
SONY said:
Protected or unprotected...The CHINESE will rip ANYTHING OFF!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Can't raep the willing (Walmart's a good example). Study a little, that wasn't a quickwitted comment.

Everything's made in China, so it's not surprising that some company would take the steps to do this... I think even the "big factories" in China have smaller operations going on.

It's likely that even the smallest devices will be copied.
They've been doing it since the 80's (or that's when it was majorly exposed), so this would be shocking/surprising how??
WTF are you trying to tell me, because I don't remember being surprised at all this.

WizardStan said:
Seriously, it always amazes me when someone says (in the comments of one of the many reports on the Pandora) something along the lines of "it's only a matter of time before the Chinese get the specs, improve upon it, and sell it for cheaper." To which I respond "name one clone that is in any way superior to the original."
I'm still waiting for a response.

It's a bit different with the Pandora, every other system they might try to 'clone' has a special OS that needs the specific hardware and might be very difficult to get working even on identical hardware. Pandora just has Angstrom.

But with how incompetent the Chinese factory has seemed so far regarding the case, and assuming they hand over the moulds, something with Windows CE or the latest build of shitty.custom.linux.for.cheap.arm/mips and Dingo specs in a similiar case, with horrible nubs/keyboard, and a 320x240 LCD is the worst case scenario. That's still extremely unlikely.

Back