What arcade games would you play in a compo? Would you?

Given MAME and ROM availability, would you play in a compo? (ie: submit scores a few times over a fe

• Yes, awesome, like the good old days

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Yes. awesome, only if its a game or two I really like

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No, don't care about measuring up against other people, or don't have time or whatever

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

hrm...   reading the comments on that video I realised I was misremembering the collision detection mechanics... (if it actually worked the exactly  the way I said, it would be a lot more common to pass through a ghost)   I probably should have looked that up before posting,   but I got the idea of it right at least. :)

- Neelix

No idea, I guess I don't actually know PacMan all that well

Once you reach a certain level in Pacman, the power pellets no longer change the ghost. All it does is change the direction of the ghost. It's all apart of the difficulty "spike" of the game. These games where designed to make money, not be played for days :p

The reality is that most of the programmers of these classic games didn't have the skills to play them to a high degree, and many of the games hidden bugs where never discovered until well after release. 

Chris

At high enough levels in both PacMan and Ms. PacMan, the ghosts do not turn blue when power pellets are eaten...it only causes them to turn around briefly.

Screen 17 in Ms. PacMan is like that, the fourth pink-and-green screen.  Then screens 19, 20, and 21 are all that way too.  Never got past that, though.

Hey, how about adding Jr. Pac Man, and Super Pac Man to Compo??

I LOVE Super Pac Man, I will kick your butt on that game!

DK2?

AFAIK there is only ..

DK

DKjr

DK3

...... was there another, vague memories.

AFAIK, in arcade games, there was never a DK2.

And DK3 .. was that ever released? That was the one with the pesticide you shoot up to hit DK with .. I think it was never finished? Or at least, seriously low distribution and not popular?

jeff

DK2?

AFAIK there is only ..

DK

DKjr

DK3

...... was there another, vague memories.

AFAIK, in arcade games, there was never a DK2.

And DK3 .. was that ever released? That was the one with the pesticide you shoot up to hit DK with .. I think it was never finished? Or at least, seriously low distribution and not popular?

jeff
DK2 was a fan made hack for DK. It was commercially released as a add on to standard DK coin ops. I believe others here have stated the rom was release for mame usage and such, but I don't know if any of our Mames support it or not.

http://www.jeffsromhack.com/products/d2k.htm

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yP4EOu1EWCI?feature=oembed

There's actually a homebrew version as well, that was recently released for the intellivision. I played it last summer at the Classic Gamers Expo here in Vegas, and it was pretty good for an Intellivision port. I would love to play it, but it is brutal hard!

Chris

DK3 is OK, it's a typical lazy game for Nintendo and one of their first no real effort games. The longer I live, the more they seem to do :p

It has it's own charm I suppose, as it's more "one screen based", like other games of the time period, but the 4 unique boards of DK & DKjr are what made them stand out at the time. DK3 would have been better, if it would have come before DK, but I do enjoy playing it, just not as much as the first two games.

Chris

Is it JUST ME....or when you don't getr as good a game as you wanted while playing Compo...do you just wanna smash the shit out of your Pandy??

But you know you can't because it is expensive as hell!!!

God-DAMN Ms. Pac Man and DKJR were BOTH pissing me off today!!

In the old arcade days, I would have punched the shit out of the screen for cheating me like that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it JUST ME....or when you don't getr as good a game as you wanted while playing Compo...do you just wanna smash the shit out of your Pandy??

But you know you can't because it is expensive as hell!!!

God-DAMN Ms. Pac Man and DKJR were BOTH pissing me off today!!

In the old arcade days, I would have punched the shit out of the screen for cheating me like that!
What's with all the swearing? Is there really any Need?

Last edited by a moderator:
Enuff with the drama! Geez you two.....

Loving comp4all. When the next update comes itll just add more games without taking away the ole ones, right?

Hey, let me ask what might be a dumb question...

Compo4ALL is subtitlted M.A.M.E of thrones...yet the initials are R O T = what is up with that? what does the R O T mean?

Back