How About A Competition?

___

Advanced Member
I just had a nice idea! How about a compo for the gp2x is held shortly before the release and the best three contributors receive a free pandora to start developing on it. Maybe some of the devs who already know that they will get pandoras could either not partake or simply volunteer to pass their price on to the next contributor if they actually win one.

This way we would have another compo for the gp2x and could raise some interest for the pandora. Also some new people might get interested in developing for the gp2x and the pandora.

Discuss...

hang on, developing for a console no one has? I mean i know they'll be linux apps and all but with no real hardware nothing can take advantage of the new hardware, it would just be gp2x apps with no direct hw access right? I mean the first gp2x dev competition had pretty mediocre entries for hte most part and everyone had hardware then.

No... don't misunderstand me. It would be a competition for gp2x apps. You would only get a Pandora as a price. This would ofcourse only be possible immediately before the launch. Sort of a creative, community publicity booster for the gp2x and pandora at the same time.

But, that means you can only win if you have a gp2x, and lots of people interested in pandora don't have one, or maybe not even a gp32. I'm not saying it's a bad idea but maybe it's too exclusionary..?

Yes but lots of GP2X compos have been held. The Pandora profits of the GP2X's success, because without this community, we would be less sure that the Pandora will be worth more than a paperweight at launch (or a few weeks after the launch). Most of the GP2X devs will also develop for the Pandora (chances are even bigger if they win one), so I agree a GP2X compo would be the most logical choice.

What kind of compo would you suggest then?

we don't want all the best devs to get a pandora.. i want them to keep deving for my gp2x ;)

Given the Pandora will be linux based (assuming anyway :), a lot of code should be compatible between the gp2x and pandora.. just a matter of the UI and such.

ie: I know all my usual apps will be brought to pandora real damned fast since its a cakewalk.. and vice versa.

jeff

Exactly, considering a lot of games for gp2x are written in sdl or allegro etc (which I am assuming the panda will support) then most things a lot of things written for the panda and gp2x will be compatible with both. After a few changes to code for things like screen res etc.

But I like this idea :p It would actually make me want to code a game for release

the idea is definately good and makes for great motivation. its at least better than having devs writing papers titled "why i think i should get one of the pandora first batch".

Well, obviously Craigix and the gang would have to either provide Pandoras as prices or another community funraiser would be needed. As far as I understood, the first 100 Pandoras were going to be given away to devs anyway so I guess they could spare three for a little competition. We would have to ask them what they actually think of the idea.

I had another interesting idea for a compo. We could ofcourse hold one of these alltime favoured "send in all the code you can write" compos, in which games, emulators, apps and anything counts. We could however make it a little more special by holding an "improve and polish" compo. Everybody who wants to enter needs to take some sort of code for the gp2x, like a game, and polish it to completion. Not sure if many would like this, but considering how many games and apps are out there that have never been finished, this could be a nice idea. Also polishing the graphics for various games to give them a more professional look. Do you guys think that would be a good idea or would you rather have it the safe classic way?

Ok i'll add my 2pennies to this idea.

We know the basic specs of the big P, i.e. screen size, dual analgue controls, 2 shoulder buttons querty KB etc etc.......

So why not let competitors create a demo/game that fits those constraints on a PC, i.e. play in a window the same size and rez as the pandora screen with a dual shock/x-box controller or simmilar.

Perhaps 3 catagories for the prizes 1 pandora for best game, 1 for best App and 1 for best demo or other Padget.... oh thats catchy Pandora + gadget=padget

well I don't think that would be good. Real hardware is best for development. Also my intention was to give gp2x development another boost aswell.

I suggest we open a competition.

Best game that runs on linux with opengl ES 2.0 at 800x480. With the condition that it can be easily ported to the Pandora. (Not use more than 128MB for RAM + VRAM with an acceptable poly count)

Maybe Craigix and Co. will offer one of the first 100 units as a prize.

I'll be happy to donate 50 US dollars to the prize pool if there was enough enthusiasm. If we get a few more people to do the same, we can offer a nice first prize. :D

hmm... i don't like it. We don't even know when the pandora will be out. Shouldn't we rather keep the gp2x alive some more and bait people with pandoras as prices? That was my initial idea and I would like to stick with it.

I'd like to be on the team for organisation of the compo. First we need a word from craig about the prices.

hmm... i don't like it. We don't even know when the pandora will be out. Shouldn't we rather keep the gp2x alive some more and bait people with pandoras as prices? That was my initial idea and I would like to stick with it.

Agreed.

Back