What Are The Conditions For A Successor Development?

hobbyman II said:
does any modern company ever stop to consider what users wanted. period. ?

There is a bunch of variables that keep the company from giving what the consumer wants in all honesty. People can't make up there mind when given a choice; and in order for the companies to make money they have to act quickly and they can iterate on the extra later. It usually takes something like a startup to consider what we want.

There are still people on here asking for last minute changes for the first batch for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swever said:
That video makes me somewhat depressed. I posted it on these forums a while ago, I can't remember what for.

The Pandora is low power that has the potential to replace 99% of what you do on a full computer and the software is developed by the community so it's not like a commercial device that just stops getting updates so you need to throw it away and but 'the next big thing'. Also, it seems that the OP team is going to sell parts to repair it so if it gets broken you just won't throw it away.

Over all I think it's the best handheld device to get environment wise.

EDIT: It's also quite powerful so it won't need replacement for some time.

second exodous said:
Over all I think it's the best handheld device to get environment wise.

th_wordsye1.gif

second exodous said:
Honestly with the current hardware specs I don't know what else you would want.
Really?

No, you're kidding: really?

How about, apart from the obvious more better faster:

- tablet mode
- GPS
- movement/orientation sensor
- 1280x720 (ie 720p) display
- video camera (rotatable like the N800)

Wireless USB and USB 3 would be nice, but I would lay down an extra $150 (ie $450 total) for the above.

If anyone from OP is reading this, note that I would pay $100 more just for the current Pandora with a rotating tablet-type screen.

daffy said:
second exodous said:
Honestly with the current hardware specs I don't know what else you would want.
Really?

- tablet mode
- GPS

Wireless USB and USB 3 would be nice, but I would lay down an extra $150 (ie $450 total) for the above.

If anyone from OP is reading this, note that I would pay $100 more just for the current Pandora with a rotating tablet-type screen.
- hate tablets
- get usb GPS, it's been talked about on here
- I like the small screen, more portable, any higher resolution you wouldn't be able to see anything
- I don't use the camera on my phone, I don't even know if it does video or not

Wireless USB is just hype, and do you have anything that can use the bandwith of USB 3? I'm not going to go out and buy an SSD.

I guess I was mainly talking for myself though.

EDIT: I looked at the post you quoted me on, I said for a few years, USB 3 won't be useful for a few years and wireless USB won't even be standard yet.

If the Pandora won't fill your needs for the next few years don't buy it, wait for something that will.

I'm quite sure, like all other handhelds, there will be revisions of the device now and again.

Eventually I'm sure we will make a Pandora2.

When all this will happen is anyones guess, but it has not escaped out attention how fast some devices move ahead (iPhone for example) and if there was to be a threat on the horizon I'm sure we could try to speed things up - but as you know doing this stuff is time consuming.

craigix said:
I'm quite sure, like all other handhelds, there will be revisions of the device now and again.

When all this will happen is anyones guess, but it has not escaped out attention how fast some devices move ahead (iPhone for example) and if there was to be a threat on the horizon I'm sure we could try to speed things up - but as you know doing this stuff is time consuming.
I can't think of a better design for the case, you should make it so we can just swap out the board and maybe the LCD of our Pandoras. That would save tons of work right there, just have a board update and sell it with a case for the old boards so they could still be used to hook up to TVs and stuff.

It would also save on waste, the The Story of Stuff is just way too depressing for me to up and replace things because something is just a little faster.

You got a lot of publicity for using open source so you got the Linux geeks on your side, now get the Hippies!

second exodous said:
craigix said:

I can't think of a better design for the case, you should make it so we can just swap out the board and maybe the LCD of our Pandoras. That would save tons of work right there, just have a board update and sell it with a case for the old one's so they could still be used to hook up to TVs and stuff.

It would also save on waste, the The Story of Stuff is just way too depressing for me to up and replace things because something is just a little faster.
The case was designed to fit the current board. A Pandora 2 would need a new case (if it uses the OMAP4, for example)

calc84maniac said:
second exodous said:
craigix said:

I can't think of a better design for the case, you should make it so we can just swap out the board and maybe the LCD of our Pandoras. That would save tons of work right there, just have a board update and sell it with a case for the old one's so they could still be used to hook up to TVs and stuff.

You got a lot of publicity for using open source so you got the Linux geeks on your side, now get the Hippies!
The case was designed to fit the current board. A Pandora 2 would need a new case (if it uses the OMAP4, for example)
Unless the new board was made to fit the old case. OMAP4 takes up less physical space than the OMAP3 from what I understand. I don't know however, I don't want to sound like a filthy hippie.

daffy said:
At 4.3", the current display is about 220 DPI. That's about as dense as current displays get.
(The PSP is 130 DPI.)

Do you really need a 350 DPI display?

daffy said:

Really?

(see what I did there? :p)

To add all that stuff (especially the rotating tablet screen, which is patented meaning licensing fees apply) would surely cost well beyond the $150 you're offering. Have you priced 4.3" HD LCDs?
And while you may have paid $100 to simply make it a tablet, a lot of others wouldn't. This is what the community decided would be good, and I agree.

daffy said:

- tablet mode
- GPS

Wireless USB and USB 3 would be nice

I believe there's already been some mockups for the Pandora "Feature Creep Edition".

Look at it logically for a minute. While I can't even begin to guess at an actual number, it's pretty safe to assume that Pandora development cost several times what it was originally estimated to cost back in 2007. It's probably a safe bet that it cost a lot more than what was estimated in 2008 when the price was set. It's going to take some time and a lot of sales just to break even, let alone make enough money to start developing a successor. If all the delays have taught us anything, it's that hardware development is expensive and complicated. You better believe OP won't be jumping into another project without knowing they have the money and resources to get it done in a timely manner.

Code:
if pandora.Pandora2TimeIsRight:

pandora.pandora2develop()

else if pandora.pandora1shipped:

pandora.enjoy()

else: wait()

atomicthumbs said:
Code:
if pandora.Pandora2TimeIsRight:

pandora.pandora2develop()

else if pandora.pandora1shipped:

pandora.enjoy()

else: wait()
Code:
  File "pandora.py", line 5
    else pandora.pandora1shipped:
    ^
IndentationError: unexpected indent

second exodous said:
- hate tablets
- get usb GPS, it's been talked about on here
- I like the small screen, more portable, any higher resolution you wouldn't be able to see anything
- I don't use the camera on my phone, I don't even know if it does video or not
I'm fairly sure GPS and video camera would not add a great deal to manufacturing cost. And I'd much rather have just a device I can pull out of my pocket than have a great USB thing hanging off the side of it, or have to keep attaching and detaching it. Plus, if GPS is a built-in feature, folks would be much more likely to do decent GPS support for the thing. And although you have no friends ;), I videoconference on my laptop all the time, and would just love to be able to do it walking around (even better with a rotating camera like the N800).
Tablet is a matter of taste, but I'll mention that if you don't like the feature, if it's implemented as a rotating screen, well, just don't rotate it.
Kagato said:
daffy said:
At 4.3", the current display is about 220 DPI. That's about as dense as current displays get.
(The PSP is 130 DPI.)

Do you really need a 350 DPI display?
There is an ocean of blank space around the current screen. At 220ppi, a 1280 display is 5.8" wide. That is still quite a bit narrower than the 6.9" width of the Pandora. So by my reckoning, a 720p display can happily fit in the same case size. With room for speakers. I'll happily take crappier speakers and a bigger screen.

daffy said:
[Yadda yadda...]And although you have no friends ;) , I videoconference on my laptop all the time [........] that if you don't like the feature, if it's implemented as a rotating screen, well, just don't rotate it [mmm hmmm....] happily take crappier speakers and a bigger screen.

Let me just say that you don't speak for everyone. I, for one, have a laptop for skype video calls, and I hear you do to.

There is a reason for not having a swivel screen (or anything like a webcam), and that reason mainly is it's a pocketable device that will probably be opened and closed a lot. The cables for these types of screens are already subjected to a lot of stress, I think adding a 'tablet' option (in other words, having a 6th of the support for the top half of the clamshell, and turning the mechanism and cables back and forth hundreds of times) would reduce the overall life of the handheld. That's pretty plain to see from my perspective, and I don't want to pay a bundle for something that has little to no durability. Sure, other devices do it fine, but I'm not buying them :unsure: .

And as for the speakers... This thing already has a huge screen for a handheld device. I'm still surprised they were able to fit it in the chassis with the speakers alongside it at the size it is now. I'm not speaking for everyone here either, but I don't want to have to 'happily take a crappier' anything for an upgrade. Things like battery life, graphics capabilities, the keyboard, and yes, the sound system.

Without knowing what you like or don't like about a console you don't own yet, you're really jumping the gun here.

'Sall.

Back