What Are The 'deal Breakers' To You?

kuehnau said:
I think they should remove WiFi, but allow a USB option for people to install their own WiFi add-ons or something. That way, the system could be cheaper, and the people who wanted WiFi could buy WiFi.
I wouldn't buy a pandora if it didn't have wifi. It'd just cut out so much potential.

Having wifi as an optional addin may save you a few dollars, but it'll make the end price more expensive for those of us who want it AND we'd be stuck with an awful usb dongle. The Pandora's also probably small for any kind of internal addin option that can be easily installed by the average user too. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having even weight distribution is a deal breaker to me. If it's noticeably heavier on one side...bleh.

For me, it would have to mostly be MP3 player functionality

Entirely up to whoever writes the media player software.

ability to just hit the power switch to shut it off without worrying about shutting down like a computer

You will be able to suspend to ram or suspend to disk. You will hardly ever have to do a full shut down or reboot.

If it takes forever to boot up, some people might avoid it.

Non-issue. See above.

But as far as like, web browsing goes, I have had my fill of portable internet. The screen is too small, for me it just isn't worth it.

Congratulations on having an opinion. I browse the web on a much smaller, lower res screen daily and it doesn't bother me a bit. The Pandora screen is the same size and res as the Nokia internet tablets - and they are specifically designed for web browsing.

Also the analog sticks on it look kind of crummy right now, they look like a clone of the small stick like thing they have on the PSP. And to be honest, I'd rather have full fledged mini analog sticks then nubs. I also dislike how it is like a folding unit. It just means it is easier to break and wear out.

The analog pads are the best available. They are significantly larger and have more travel than the PSP. The clamshell design is staying as well.

They could end up with a battery that only lasts 5 hours at psx (which is imo the benchmark of choice)

I'd be really impressed with a 5 hour runtime playing PSX games. If you're expecting more then you will likely be disapointed. If Pandora sticks with the original 140x83x27mm form factor, then even if the entire unit was one big battery, you're only looking at about 18AH. Realistically maybe 1/3 of the device will be battery, so figure about 6000mAH of battery capacity. Even that may be optimistic.

Asking for too much? I don't think so. As a consumer, I should be able to request anything. I can't expect it, but you would think the developers would appreciate any and all input on the device as a whole. Since this most likely won't be sold in most stores like Walmart, it is going to be based on the hype and community of the device. Building it to how the community would like it, is something to consider.

That's pretty much what's been going on for the last 6 months or so. They've already weeded out the unrealistic requests and the current design is final.

I think that covers all the easily answerable concerns. Everything else - durability, how the screen looks in various lighting conditions, how the controls / keyboard feel - will have to wait for actual review units.

Frankly the only thing that would stop me from buying one is if they got rid of the keyboard (thankfully not going to happen) or made it too large for a pocket (also not going to happen). I'm cautiously optimistic about the rest.

I need to see a full web browser, maybe not flash right away, but it would be important.

It needs to fully play my Divx/xvid files. Preferably over Wifi.

3D games. For this price and for the amount of power I need at least a couple full 3D games. I know that they want to get Quake III up and running, that is a good start. I would like to see full Descent II sometime.

kuehnau said:
The GP2X already takes like a full half a second for me to boot up and it seems like it isn't the most complicated piece of hardware I own. The Pandora seems like it has a lot to boast about, but along with that kind of power and ability is going to come with some sort of cons.

I am going to bet money that the Pandora is going to have to boot up, and the boot up is going to take longer then it does with a GP2X. How long, I don't know. If it takes forever to boot up, some people might avoid it. Perhaps adding on a sleep mode to the Pandora would help levitate some concerns about that issue.
um, yes, it will have to boot up, just like every other computer device thats out there. you ever used a pda? they take quite a while to boot up, but you just put them in sleep mode 99% of the time, and only reboot when you accidentally pull out the battery, or windows mobile crashes...
pandora will do the same thing, standby and suspend modes.

also, there are a lot of people in this thread talking about software based issues... codec support, mp3 player functionality, web browser functions, wifi features... remember, THIS IS LINUX NOT WINDOWS. there is tons of software out there that can be ported fairly easily, and there will no doubt be plenty of people writing/porting such common use applications.
and if it doesnt do something quite the way you like by default, learn how to hack some config files and change it yourself.

as for hardware issues, if its not a still open topic (ie, headphone jack, volume control) dont freakin complain about it. its already the way it will be, you missed your chance. if you dont like it, wait for something else to come out.

</rant>

If the controls are poor, I'm not buying one. Period... gp2x's faults could be partially overlooked if the controls weren't shit, but they are..... well, shit. Also poor battery life and high rate of failure, all gp2x issues...

I won't buy a Pandora if I can't hack every single bit of the hardware (I exclude the SGX, OpenGL ES will fit my needs). For instance, if any of the following applies:

- I can't upload programs to c64x
- I can't flash a kernel without risking to brick the Pandora (Squidge already said this will be OK)
- TrustZone/MShield is enabled by the ROM monitor
- poor 2D performance

then I won't get one.

I'm hoping most/all GP2X issues won't affect the Pandora, such as poor controls, difficulty accessing all hardware directly, and poor build quality.

The things that really make me want to buy a Pandora are the things that give it potential for use as a pocket-sized notebook - keyboard, touchscreen and all the nice built-in interfaces like dual SD slots, fully powered USB Host and WiFi. If any those are of poor quality or poorly implemented, that would be a possible dealbreaker for me, but I have confidence in the team's ability to source quality parts and a reliable factory, and with them being an active part of the community I trust them not to release the Pandora in volume (the 3000-run and beyond) until they've made sure that it doesn't suffer from hardware quality issues (software issues are really non-issues in my book as software can always be fixed after release but hardware issues can't (generally)).

If it randomly gives me moderate-to-strong electrical shocks it will be a problem, I have excessively sweaty palms (don't laugh, it is a CURSE) and it really could potentially be fatal.

kuehnau said:
As a consumer, I should be able to request anything. I can't expect it, but you would think the developers would appreciate any and all input on the device as a whole. Since this most likely won't be sold in most stores like Walmart, it is going to be based on the hype and community of the device. Building it to how the community would like it, is something to consider.

Building the device around community input is a brilliant idea! I wish Craig and friends had thought of that... :p

kuehnau said:
Asking for too much? I don't think so. As a consumer, I should be able to request anything. I can't expect it, but you would think the developers would appreciate any and all input on the device as a whole. Since this most likely won't be sold in most stores like Walmart, it is going to be based on the hype and community of the device. Building it to how the community would like it, is something to consider.

Someone pass me a wall. I want to bang my head against it! :blink:

Lack of Dvorak keyboard.

Just kidding :D

No dealbreakers for me. I'm ready to pounce for one of the first 3000, and at the point of ordering I suspect there will be few known issues or if there are, Craig will have plans to sort them prior to the 3k being manufactured.

Please avoid to put stupid spaces for filling the windows, it's too lame :p

What it can make me to not get a Pandora could be lack of proper ergonomics (I mean hurting my hands after very intensive use), lack of really good controls, lack of quality, poor battery life and obiously not really active scene.

I think this community learned the faults of systems like GP2X, Zodiac (anyone remembers this PalmOS-based pda/gaming machine?) and PSP, so I hope they will do the definitive machine without their faults even if that requires a release delay again.

Chip said:
For me, it would have to mostly be MP3 player functionality

Entirely up to whoever writes the media player software.

ability to just hit the power switch to shut it off without worrying about shutting down like a computer

You will be able to suspend to ram or suspend to disk. You will hardly ever have to do a full shut down or reboot.

If it takes forever to boot up, some people might avoid it.

Non-issue. See above.

But as far as like, web browsing goes, I have had my fill of portable internet. The screen is too small, for me it just isn't worth it.

Congratulations on having an opinion. I browse the web on a much smaller, lower res screen daily and it doesn't bother me a bit. The Pandora screen is the same size and res as the Nokia internet tablets - and they are specifically designed for web browsing.

Also the analog sticks on it look kind of crummy right now, they look like a clone of the small stick like thing they have on the PSP. And to be honest, I'd rather have full fledged mini analog sticks then nubs. I also dislike how it is like a folding unit. It just means it is easier to break and wear out.

The analog pads are the best available. They are significantly larger and have more travel than the PSP. The clamshell design is staying as well.

They could end up with a battery that only lasts 5 hours at psx (which is imo the benchmark of choice)

I'd be really impressed with a 5 hour runtime playing PSX games. If you're expecting more then you will likely be disapointed. If Pandora sticks with the original 140x83x27mm form factor, then even if the entire unit was one big battery, you're only looking at about 18AH. Realistically maybe 1/3 of the device will be battery, so figure about 6000mAH of battery capacity. Even that may be optimistic.

That's pretty much what's been going on for the last 6 months or so. They've already weeded out the unrealistic requests and the current design is final.
I think that covers all the easily answerable concerns. Everything else - durability, how the screen looks in various lighting conditions, how the controls / keyboard feel - will have to wait for actual review units.

Frankly the only thing that would stop me from buying one is if they got rid of the keyboard (thankfully not going to happen) or made it too large for a pocket (also not going to happen). I'm cautiously optimistic about the rest.

I am glad you have the time, patience, and energy to even deal with portable internet. I have used several, several different kinds of devices to access the internet while I was away from the computer. All of them offered poor, buggy software, a terrible resolution and crappy, laggy wait times and limited web browsing. Most of the time, there isn't something I HAVE to access online that I would even need portable internet anyways. I'll stick with a normal computer, thanks. But it is nice you have an opinion too!

As far as a WiFi option. To be honest I don't care if it cost WiFi users anymore. But I don't honestly really see them offering two different models.

For me, the only deal breaker, the absolute ONLY reason I won't be buying one is the price. Simply put, the economy in SE Michigan is so bad there's no possible way I could justify the cost of a Pandora... I was pretty lucky I could afford the GP2X and this is, well, it's a truckload more money. Sorry I can't be more technically inspired and complain about the keyboard or placement of the SD slots... none of which really matters to me one way or another, I didn't quibble over the GP2X design and don't expect to for the Pandora either.

Anyway... it's too much money for me :eek:

I Hope the final disign eliminates all the basic problems that were made in the past. Every product on the market seems to have it´s flaws.

I have a first edition gp2x --> Screen is not flawless (scanlines) --> joystick is really really bad
I have a psp --> almost excellent device but screen suffers from (red) ghosting
I have a Nintento DS (first version --> controls give you a terrible pain in the fingers...

These problems are BASIC problems. The basic principle applies here... When you design a gaming device, it deserves an excellent screen with excellent controls everything beyond that builds up the quality but where it all comes down to is that you cannot play a decent game without good controls, excellent vision and clear sound...

So please please do this things right....

Senor Quack said:
If it randomly gives me moderate-to-strong electrical shocks it will be a problem, I have excessively sweaty palms (don't laugh, it is a CURSE) and it really could potentially be fatal.
Ah, me too, every girlfriend I have ever had wipes her hands off after we hold hands and when we pray over the food family members do it too. It's so sad, it's like I'm dying on the inside. :(

Anyways, deal breakers include overall instability, hardware failure, crappy analog/d-pad/buttons, a dollar store grade giant megacalculator keyboard, easily scratched screen (please include screen protectors, you need to see my DS), bad WiFi range, and blisters caused by strange size/placement. <_< ;)

Back