What CPU would you like to see?

Grench

Forum Addict!
Doesn't have to be 'reasonable'. This is a dreamer's area of the board after all.

How does 8 64bit ARM cores + USB 3.0 + high end GPU all in a single SoC from Nvidia sound?

http://techware-bliss.blogspot.com/2011/07/nvidia-project-denver-8-core-64bit-arm.html

OK, so that would be physically huge - and might be too much silicone for a handheld device to power.

Still... wow - what a monster. They're talking laptops after all.

What are some of the new and exciting ARM based chips that you've seen references to?

It will have the absolute best SoC we can get at the time, and the highest possible spec of that SoC.

I'd like to say more, but be patient, this will all make sense in such a great way.

It will have the absolute best SoC we can get at the time, and the highest possible spec of that SoC.

I'd like to say more, but be patient, this will all make sense in such a great way.

How big are the odds currently that you might decide to move to a different platform, instead of going for ARM again?

If other platforms are ahead enough of ARM, then it might be worth it, even considering that all the spftware would have to be ported again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly just want to see an OMAP5 based system.

How big are the odds currently that you might decide to move to a different platform, instead of going for ARM again?

If other platforms are ahead enough of ARM, then it might be worth it, even considering that all the spftware would have to be ported again.

I'd say non existant, at least for switching away from ARM. ARM is pretty much the de facto standard for all high powered mobile devices these days. I think intel/AMD want to get in on it with x86 based embedded devices, but I don't see it happening. From the looks of it, though, they will probably be switching away from the OMAP SOC line and using something more powerful. I honestly just want to see the P2 with an OMAP5 based SOC with 2 gigs of RAM max to simply keep costs down. Those kinds of specs would still be incredibly powerful. I'm still skeptical of the plans that they have but that's perfectly alright. If they release a killer quadcore ARM device with Tegra 4 or something then awesome! More power to them.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the process. I'm sure you'll fill us in when the timing is right.

In the meantime, I hope you're not offended if we speculate wildly in this, "Pandora 2 spam" discussion group.

It's kind of like a 'what if' game.

What if a person were to pull the big turbos off of an earth mover and hooked them up to a big V8 and stuffed it all into a Vauxhall Vectra?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155447/World-s-fastest-street-legal-car-smashes-speed-record-250mph--s-Vauxhall-Vectra-cost-60.html

also, I can only assume Craig is aiming at a high price because the best case is the price can go down and people will be happier than aiming low and pissing people off once the price increases or they receive a worse product for it.

Works for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the process. I'm sure you'll fill us in when the timing is right.

In the meantime, I hope you're not offended if we speculate wildly in this, "Pandora 2 spam" discussion group.

It's kind of like a 'what if' game.

No problem, it's called the spam forum for a reason.

all these hints about the p2 are damn exciting.I think its going to be an innovative device in some specific respect.As for what cpu?What craig said the best available at the time.Heck im looking forward to a p2 more than the xbox 720.

it's called the spam forum for a reason.

2.spam-google-docs.jpg

<CPU> http://www.fastcompany.com/1714174/1000-core-cpu-achieved-your-future-desktop-will-be-a-supercomputer </CPU>

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandaboard is for development. The pandaboard is OMAP4, OMAP5 is already sampling, and by the time the P2 comes around they'd be able to get OMAP5 based SOCs

^^^^ yup mr weston should put in an appearance around p3 time i suppose.Havent heard from fatih for an age either.

We don't care about CPU, CPU is totally useless, everyone agree with this.

What we need is a mini SD slot.

Back