What Do You Think Is The Most Important Thing To You About The Pandora

This is my first poll... Did I miss anything?

• Screen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Battery

• CPU

• Controls

• Size/Weight

• Interface

• Compatibility

• Wifi

• All Of It

• Don't Care

• None Of The Above (Please Specify)

• Total voters

I have a good guess what it might be, but judging from the date you joined I would bank on it. Of course all of those things are important because that's what makes it the Pandora. The size and weight is kind of a catch 22 if you are going to pick all of it though, wouldn't you say so?

I think the forum need a pair of modules:

1. "Multiple answer poll" mod.
2. "Order by relevance poll" mod.

I've voted for "All of it", but this question should be made through a "order by relevance" poll to be really useful. And this would be my answer:

1. WiFi: No Wifi, no useful.
2. Keyboard
3. Screen: The great resolution (800x480) of the screen and the integrated keyboard make the WiFi option even more useful, very comfortable to browse the web.
4. CPU
5. Size/Weight
6. Battery
7. Controls
8. Interface
9. Compatibility

Screen, what about the screen? inside, outside, clam, nmot clamshell, what about it really?
Battery, what about it, large small, light or heavy. Of course you want high capacity, but at what cost? A generic battery wont use the space as well, but will be cheaper.
CPU, well, not much to be said here. We all want more, the more, the better... but not at the cost of running time.
Controls, what about those?

And so on. This poll is really not a poll about anything.
B!

What do you think is the most important thing to you about the Pandora?
- All of it.

... Okay, that's like:
"Which would you like, coffee or tea?"
- Yes.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand what you mean (both poller and voters). But that particular option kind of messes things up.

As for my vote of "None Of The Above":
Ease of use and stability. That's what I at least hope it will have. Meaning I assume it will shine on the software-side... So basically it could be closest to "Compatibility", but then again, it's Linux-based so there will most likely be driver issues with various external devices.

1. Quality: I don't want another cheap thing like GP2X, the audio jack bad soldered and suffering the "Samba de Amigo" effect or dead pixels like in PSP.
2. Controllers. If controllers sucks, it will be an unusable brick. If they half-sucks, it will be a GP2X/PSP...
3. Battery life: I don't want a machine that eats batteries constatnly like GP2X or PSP (using UMD crap) does.

aatu said:
What do you think is the most important thing to you about the Pandora?
- All of it.

... Okay, that's like:
"Which would you like, coffee or tea?"
- Yes.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand what you mean (both poller and voters). But that particular option kind of messes things up.

As for my vote of "None Of The Above":
Ease of use and stability. That's what I at least hope it will have. Meaning I assume it will shine on the software-side... So basically it could be closest to "Compatibility", but then again, it's Linux-based so there will most likely be driver issues with various external devices.

Yeah, I shouldn't have put "all of it" as an answer. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, well here's the locked down features we don't need to vote on:
Screen, CPU, Keyboard, Wifi

I really doubt any of those are changing.

Most important other features:
1) Controls (Comfortable)
2) Battery (Life)
3) Interface (OS)
4) Compatability (OS)
5) Size (Small)
6) Weight (Light)

These are the features that have spawned many other threads. I think doing the controls right is most important, and then battery life. Next up is definitely the OS; perhaps we can get some use out of that touchscreen? ;) Compatability with GP2X apps would be nice, but is not essential. New programs will pop up...

And finally, size...it definitely has to fit in a pocket, but that's about the only limitation. Weight...who cares? Get stronger arms/hands. :lol:

I'd have to say the controls (the keyboard, especially) and the processor. The keyboard is important to me, because I'm a programmer, and being able to program anywhere with such a small device appeals to me*. The processor's importance is almost self-evident -- a faster processor with 3D acceleration greatly expands its capabilities as a gaming platform.

*Not to mention, it's difficult to play Star Raiders without one ;) .

I find it remarkable that the (for me) single most important quality of the Pandora is not only not figuring in the poll options (which seem like a hodgepodge collection of things someone's eye happened to fall upon), but isn't even mentioned in the replies to this rather superfluous poll.

I'm talking about Pandora's openness, both in software and hardware. One would be hard pressed to find another equally open system, and currently only the OLPC laptop and the OpenMoko project spring to mind.

So I'm not going to vote in this poll and I would urge anyone who feels the need to start a poll, to think first and then think again. Then type...

Karel Jansens said:
I'm talking about Pandora's openness, both in software and hardware. One would be hard pressed to find another equally open system, and currently only the OLPC laptop and the OpenMoko project spring to mind.
IMHO that fits right next to the locked in features I listed. :)

But good catch. ;) That is #1

I voted for all of it, but I'd like to add that movie player quality is THE biggest concern for me. If I have to put up with the same shit I did with the GP2X F200 I will hurl the Pandora into a wall.

I voted CONTROLS.

Why?

Because recent handhelds have had awful controls, especially dpads (PSP and DS) and I'm dying to see a good dpad again. Last handheld that had exceptionally good controls IMO was the NGPC (and I also liked the GP32 thumbstick).

I'm hoping they put a Pandora prototype and DaveC together in a steel cage, and lock them together until one of them is bloodied and beaten to a pulp. Then the controls will be good for sure. :p

Prophet said:
I voted CONTROLS.

Why?

Because recent handhelds have had awful controls, especially dpads (PSP and DS) and I'm dying to see a good dpad again. Last handheld that had exceptionally good controls IMO was the NGPC (and I also liked the GP32 thumbstick).

I'm hoping they put a Pandora prototype and DaveC together in a steel cage, and lock them together until one of them is bloodied and beaten to a pulp. Then the controls will be good for sure. :p
But beware because the final version isn't enough good for him, he will kill all devs! ;)

What about durability and quality test? A young child with a screwdriver could be the best test ever probably.

Neo-Geo Pocket Color! I love that clicky stick, it could be perfect if being a bit bigger. If the Pandora digital stick is half good as that one, then I could be very happy! :D

Karel Jansens said:
Well, now, be nice. Most of us (I assume) are used to Linux, so we're spoiled brats. :)

timofonic said:
Prophet said:
But beware because the final version isn't enough good for him, he will kill all devs! ;)

What about durability and quality test? A young child with a screwdriver could be the best test ever probably.

Hmm...

Perhaps we should first lock DaveC and that small child with the screwdriver together in the steel cage.

Whoever wins, gets to fight the Pandora prototype!

And if the final version doesn't meet expectations, we'll have to hold an international tag match - CraigX & MWeston Vs. DaveC & child-with-screwdriver.

Perhaps Squidge could act as the Pandora team manager, and smack DaveC in the legs with a bat when the ref isn't looking. :p

Back