What do you Think of the Competition so Far?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Just a short message to get people's impressions before we move to the final 2 weeks of the competition. What do you think of the entries? Do you think it was very positive so far, just like the Rebirth one was a little while ago ? 

On the other hand, any disappointements ?

The applications category is looking really good already, with Code::Blocks, SOLEIL and LibreOffice being the highlights as far as I'm concerned.

Emulators: assuming DraStic and lunixbochs' OpenGL are participating here, this also looks very promising: even though there are only 4 entries so far, they are really great.

In the original games category we already have 11 entries, I'm curious about how they will turn out (for most of them, we've only seen some work-in-progress screenshots and artwork), and I hope I have a chance at winning some prize with all that competition :)

The ported game category is the only one that is a bit disappointing at the moment, with only 2 entries. I hope there will be some last-minute entries here...

I need more people to try-out my game port (xu4) and tell me if it correctly autogets the original game data.

We need a port of chromium B.S.U.

With ptitSeb's fix for mouse movement it would finally be playable now.

The competition has many good looking new original games. Even without the two updated games, still 9 really new games (for the pandora) are available. That's cool.

It's pity, that only two games are ported. Maybe the category should be merged with another?

It is funny to see, that the pandora is sold nowadays as mini Computer instead of great a gaming machine - especially for emulators -, but nevertheless "emulator" is a whole category in the competition of the pandora maker... So, we have 3 categories for gaming and one for applications.  ;) However: Some great ideas in the emulator category, but we have to see, which makes the goal. Two are marked as unsure and the PPSSPP seems not to be very fast as I heard (nothing against the maker, the hardware is just hard to emulate). So maybe it is an idea to merge ported game and emulator, but does that make sense? Writing an emulator is the supreme discipline, porting a game makes work - of course - but not as much as an original game or even an emulator... So... I dunno, what to do. ^^ Maybe the prize pot should be more flexible. That would give entries with a lower rank in the original games category a prize, too.  :)

I am not able to say much about the applications. Some useful stuff and a completely new operation system besides different linux distributions.

To the competition as it runs: I started an own thread some days ago and got feedback yet, so for me as developer it works great. I got the attention I want. ^^

But I think it was a bad idea of ED to raise a competition alone out of the blue. Especially in the planning phase he wasn't available, there was a big flame war about open or closed source and more interesting topics were overlooked. A small team maybe were a better idea, which could moderate and judge. Maybe the mentioned jury should already be voted and should manage this competition for him. And what is the official banner? Many people show this red-wings-thing, but in the first post of the official rules thread, this banner is not mentioned. Everything a bit disorganized.

So if I had to speak in marks ^^:

• Entries: 2-
  • Community aspect: 2+
  • Planning: 4
(German marks. In some states letters are used instead of numbers. 1=A, 2=B and so one.)

greetings, Ziz

I need more people to try-out my game port (xu4) and tell me if it correctly autogets the original game data.
If you let look at my open dune port I.e. the start up scrips you can steel my code which downloads the original dune 2 files if they are not in the appdata folder.

So you think this is not playable ?

That's the first time I'm told this. Disapointing
I never had problems playing Chromium BSU. The controls on the current port are appropriate. But I don't consider it to be a very good game.

Looks like we have some awesome software comming up particularly in the shape of original games, really good stuff for Pandora users.

Hmm, looks good to me...maybe I'll get a chance to actually test them out at some point!

I'm still in the process of making something that I can call a game right now. I don't suppose a WIP can count as an entry?

Some of the best software the Pandora has to offer has came from these near annual competitions.

Definitely one of my most look forwarded to times of the year.

I guess you can submit anything, playable or not, polished or not. Don't expect to win prizes with an unplayable game though - except maybe if the concept is so original and interesting that people vote for it anyway.

I never had problems playing Chromium BSU. The controls on the current port are appropriate. But I don't consider it to be a very good game.
For an open source shmup, Chromium BSU is fine.

I guess you can submit anything, playable or not, polished or not. Don't expect to win prizes with an unplayable game though - except maybe if the concept is so original and interesting that people vote for it anyway.
Well, not an original concept (platformer!) other than that though, it's original. I had (and still have) bigger plans...but I might just make a quick 'collect-em-up-find-the-exit' game just to make an entry.

I am sad that besides from starting the competition it has not gotten any coverage from the creator(s) (or any other person) whatsoever.

That means only people who are registered to this forum and are regularly browsing it will potentially know this is happening and will be there to vote. (Hopefully voting will not end as atrocious as last time)

The development threads got some decent attention, but only by a handful of people posting in every thread basically (a huge thanks to those guys, as a developer myself I know how important every comment and feedback on ones work is).

Sure the end result will be "fantastic": new software for the Pandora, but in my eyes a competition should not just be about the products, it should involve the community as much as possible and generate as much attention as possible, too (even outside the bounds of this forum).

This is not to blame ED, he has enough on his shoulders as is, but as Ziz mentioned, this could have been planned better. There could have been an appeal to find people doing this job, conducting interviews, writing overviews of the entries, "screenshot of the day" and stuff like that. Basically what Uni did for the RIOT competition (http://www.riotdigital.com/ttcc2011/?page=Blog).

I did some coverage for Rebirth, but sadly could not find the time to do the same for this event (heck I did not even post in most development threads although I skimmed over most of them).

That said the amount of entries seems good, considering the short timespan.

I will not comment on the quality of them until I tested them however (seeing how many unfinished entries there always have been in the past).

I am pretty sure there will be a few high quality entries, which is very good to see :)

In any case, thanks to the organizers and entrants, each of which put a lot into this (be it money or time).

I am just trying to give some opinions on how to optimize this so everyone gets the most out of it.

For an open source shmup, Chromium BSU is fine.
It's not because it's open source it's OK to be crap :) Not talking about CHromium BSU in particular, but I see this kind of comment often. If at all, Open Source should actually make the software better in the end if people contribute to it.

It's not because it's open source it's OK to be crap :) Not talking about CHromium BSU in particular, but I see this kind of comment often. If at all, Open Source should actually make the software better in the end if people contribute to it.
Feel free to do better ;)  

Feel free to do better ;)
I have only one exam left next week.

As I have more spare time now I'll send you the PND_run.out, soon.

Program has to be shut down via ssh so I can't do it now.

Back