What have you bought recently?

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussions' started by Cerbera, Jun 12, 2015.

1. matzesu

matzesu Advanced Member

And bring me my GBA !!

Well im just a bit confused because the Tracking says the same since Monday, it’s not even updated since Monday,

2. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Not sure, if it was Royal Mail, but some national carriers tend to have someone else do the rest within Germany. I feel like remembering RM had GLS for that. Have a look, if maybe there's link in or around the tracking log to someone else's tracking site. I might be mistaken, though.

3. matzesu

matzesu Advanced Member

There is no link on the RM Tracking Side, only a button to a quite wyrd language :
    Walisisch (Welsh)
    (Is this the Origin of “Kauderwelsch) ??

Djoga'Ro and kuru like this.
  4. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Seriously, I'd guess it's stuck in customs if it's taking that long and not updating. About 1 in 10 times I order from Europe, things get stuck in customs and take an age to get through, and it's usually been electronics stuff with a battery so far.

I don't know off hand how royal mail parcels get to the continent. I might suspect they go through the chunnel, and get shunted off somewhere in northern france. Probably near the calais supermarchets so Phil can stock up the booze cabinet on his way pack.

5. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Very Active Member

A new old watch.

Attached Files:

levi and jparish1977 like this.
  6. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

It seems the words are related: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/welsch

I thought within the EU there isn't a lot of customs going on. ? (You haven't brexited, yet, have you?)

7. jparish1977

jparish1977 Member

Now if the actual cpc464 would just get here...[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crazyhorse likes this.
  8. levi

Nope, that's currently scheduled for the end of March, but I reckon they're going to end up delaying it. Hopefully ED can get the Pyra out before we actually do exit, or otherwise we end up so closely tied to the single market that it won't affect things too much. I remember considering buying stuff from Finland before we standardised our VAT rates, and the whole complexity of it put me off ordering in the end. And I've bought stuff from the US that ended up getting taxed, and that was a whole pain going to the post office and having to pay multiple times with my credit card to settle all of the customs charges and the special charge the post office applies for handling imports.

9. matzesu

matzesu Advanced Member

Today the Queen knocked on our door and delivered my Retrosix GBA
    Looks fantastic and works great,
    But I need more time for testing[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    jparish1977 and levi like this.
  10. Cerbera

Cerbera Ecnes

I recently purchased a couple of items from eBay. A Panasonic Lumix G3 and a tilt lens that bears absolutely no resemblance to an item of male genitalia.

[​IMG]

jparish1977 likes this.
  11. jparish1977

jparish1977 Member

Drat... but could have been worse, now few the replacement belts to get here[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

FBnil likes this.
  12. kuru

kuru Laptop und Trachtenjanker

Is that transport damage? Why even bother with the fragile tape if nobody gives a damn :-/

FBnil and jparish1977 like this.
  13. jparish1977

jparish1977 Member

Yup

14. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

I think postal carriers see fragile tape as a challenge on how hard they can hoon around with your package...

kuru, levi and jparish1977 like this.
  15. matzesu

matzesu Advanced Member

At least the Royal Guard took care of my GBA i got from Royal Mail, there wasnt any "Fragile" Sticker on it..
    After some Playing Around im quite Impressed about this Thing ^^

rSl and jparish1977 like this.
  16. PCXT

PCXT Very Active Member

I bought Mac Quadra 700.
    Now it's in shipping.
    So I bought a bottle of acetone and solvent "type 3", I use these to make plastic welding mixture. I also made some white plastic scraps to be used as filler.
    Based on experience with shipping Macs, I just don't expect it will come in one piece.

17. HelenF

HelenF Member

I hadn't used my backlit GBA for a while, and the Start button isn't working properly. I guess I'll need to open it and clean it out. The buttons on the old GBC aren't working too well either.

Curiously, the tiny hiragana in Link's Awakening are way more legible on a real GBC/GBA!

18. Jumpman

Jumpman Advanced Member

LOL, I've been saying that for ages, as I think they see "fragile" and say, "lets see how fragile this really is?". But in all honesty, that tape or a label of any kind doesn't mean anything, as the ones who read the labels don't load the packages, and the ones that do load the packages, are being graded on quickness of loading. So the best anyone can really do is bullet proof their packaging, and hope for the best, as that fragile label seems nothing more than a target in the grand scheme of things.

Chris

jparish1977 likes this.
  19. levi

Maybe we need upgraded tape with, off the top of my head, 'explosive' or 'nuclear detonation possibility' on the tape instead of a simple and weak 'fragile'. They'd probably charge me more at the post office if I labelled it with anything above a litium-ion battery at my local though, the buggers.

NetBLOKS, jparish1977 and Djoga'Ro like this.
  20. PCXT

PCXT Very Active Member

I think "WARNING: LIVE BEES" may work :). Especially that yes, there were people who sent them by mail.
    There are some methods to minimize probability of shipping defects in Macs. "Glossy" Power Macs usually survive better if their "ears" are removed for shipping. This way, the only damage they can get is breaking sides and its probability may be minimized by loosening screws.
    However, for "white plastic" Macs there is no method - only ones which were transported using a typical "EUR" pallet were intact, as it's hard to throw it. Additionally, seller packed them that there was more Macs on one side than another, so it was impossible to put something on it.

jparish1977 and levi like this.