What have you bought recently?

Are we clear about 2020 being the not buy anything but a Pyra, which is the desktop of said current year?
Nay. I'm not going to use the Pyra as my desktop. If I'm going to be happy with an ARM-based desktop, but long for something more powerful than the ODROID, I might get something Pine based on the next one from Rockchip or similar. Or maybe Socionext brings a succesor to its desktop? Who knows.

I've been told, that the rPI4 has serious overheating issues and will massively slow down after a few minutes of casual use if not used with a fan or at least an aluminium case, I guess I should have ordered this one instead since apparently WLAN and BlueTooth still works with it, or so they say.

I've been told, that the rPI4 has serious overheating issues and will massively slow down after a few minutes of casual use if not used with a fan or at least an aluminium case, I guess I should have ordered this one instead since apparently WLAN and BlueTooth still works with it, or so they say.

Yes. True. I bought a cheap case with a fan. It connects to gpio pins and no issues. It isn't a big deal at all.

The case was ~$12 with fan and power cord.

Yes. True. I bought a cheap case with a fan. It connects to gpio pins and no issues. It isn't a big deal at all.

The case was ~$12 with fan and power cord.
How loud is the fan after which period of time?
I'm opting for the aluminium armor block case with the many ridges atm.

IMG_20191020_015216.jpg

Am I doing it properly? ;)

Does anyone here have a rPi and if yes, what do you use it for?

Sure, one of my rPi is running Kodi at my parents'.

The other had been turned into an incoming email notifier at my workplace. Quite handy actually.

I just found one solution for the weak youtube playback: Lineage OS
720p works perfectly, no stuttering
Maybe I should try Kodi, too

How loud is the fan after which period of time?
I'm opting for the aluminium armor block case with the many ridges atm.

I can't even hear it unless i put my ear next to it.

Using the gpio pins it provides constant power so the fan is on when the pi is on. You can set it to low or high.

For some unknown reason I should not ask people about components. It always ends a few months or years later with enormous amounts of them.
A few months ago I decided to gather parts for a few hardware projects, including CT1024 terminal. I needed 6 chips of 2102 memory for it. I quickly found 3 of them in my stuff, and after asking some people I found 3 more. Recently someone sold me a large box of TTL chips, in which there were >25 of 2102s by some accident. These were the only non-74 chips there.
Similar thing with MFM hard drives and these full-height 3.5" ATAs (40-80MB). Last Friday a friend just dropped me a bag of them. "Hello, 5 years ago you asked about drives, here, I don't need these".
In these drives, I found a Nec D5146, one of the early units. Hand-written 4-digit serial number and date (1985). Generally it works. No bad sectors, no surface defects, survived NDD and will probably survive SpinRite tests. It's not a total "tank" like ST225, which just runs for 30 years the same way, but it is also quite durable. But the sound it makes is just awful. It's not the motor or bearings, but grounding contact to the hub, the metallic screeching causes pain in the teeth.
Temporary solution: Replace existing ?iron? metal grounding clamp with copper one. Good thing that it's fastened, not soldered.

i got an RPi 3 a few years back for using as a Minecraft server for nephews and a few friends. however, all have moved onto v1.14, which the RPi 3 can not handle. :{ thought about getting an ODROID N2 to replace it...

Last edited:
i got an RPi 3 a few years back for using as a Minecraft server for nephews and a few friends. however, all have moved onto v1.14, which the RPi 3 can not handle. :{ thought about getting an ODROID N2 to replace it...

I really like the 4. 4GB ram, gigabit ethernet, 5ghz wifi, dual screen, hardware h265 decoding.

I like pi's because of the popularity and with it software/hardware support.

All around impressive machine. Def get a fan case with it though.

A DVI to HDMI adapter. Moved a user's dual screen setup from an old tower PC to a Deskmini case running a modern Athlon.
In order to support local business and be somewhat more ecological I bought one from MediaMarkt. Their website, interestingly enough, quoted an availability within 2 - 3 business days after ordering.
Granted, the site was lying, they had 3 different adapters and one cable in the store.
So I acquired one of those dumb adapters for the low, low price of tah-wenty €urons.

Reactions: rSl
I know, Apple Fanboy and so on, but i bought the Apple Airpods Pro,
Not bad so far, the ANC seems to work pretty well, now you can change between a Modi where you ditnt hear anything from outside, and you hear everything from outside, "Transparenc Mode",
its needs much more time to test everything, but they work pretty good..

That's a good idea. I thought a long time about how to make a box that would mix car noise and things from outside so I could cross the road more safely while wearing earphones, but never got round to implementing anything about it.

Reactions: rSl
The ANC works pretty good: I’m currently installing a new Update on my GPD Win, and it’s fan is pretty loud, I listen to music via AirPods Pro, put ANC on and the noise of the Fan is gone ^^
It’s a cool headphone but I think I would wait until they are a bit cheaper..

Back