What have you bought recently?

I got myself some Ttgo Meshtastic T-Beam v1.1, for experimenting with LoRa communication via mobile devices and different antenna's.
Did you manage to get it working? Have you done anything fun with it?

Setting it up was mostly easy. I had some issues understanding the logic of the app for the phone. It asks to connect to the meshtastic via bluetooth, but I already did outside of the app, which doesn't work. So you need to select the meshtastic from inside the app.
Once you are in the app you can update the meshtastic via the app. The screens I soldered on to them also work properly, you also need them to get the bluetooth code to connect, else you have to retrieve it via a serial connection and terminal. You need to do this pairing each time the unit was powered off.
I also got higher gain antenna's. I had one antenna inside the house, behind a window in the attic (I couldn't mount it outside, so it's not ideal). I carried the other outside with a battery-pack and same antenna. The range was very poor, roughly 25 meters or so.
So I still want to do a test with a proper line-of-sight connection but I need to do this in a different location. Or find a way to mount the antenna on my roof, which also needs to be weather proof.
The batteries didn't arrive yet, they should arrive soon. Currently I just power them via USB. The meshtastic came in a hard plastic box, so I drilled a hole in the side to mount the antenna cable, so the meshtastic itself is more weather proof. This setup doesn't work properly yet as the box still needs to be open for the USB-cable.
The meshtastic are 433MHz btw. which hopefully provide a better range and configured for very long range. The 928MHz version has more power to send which compensates the range advantage of the 433MHz model. My other ttgo boards are 928MHz, so they aren't compatible.
It's fun to send messages and see them pop-up on the screen. I hoped I could send them over a longer distance, so I could have a bunch of them in the area. I'll see if I missed something in my future tests which causes the short range.

IMG_1728 masked.jpg

2017 Suzuki Vitara S Turbo 2WD.....my 2006 Suzuki Swift with 306,000 Kms on it is having issues so time to get something newer..

A ok „no „Stege „ like whe say in Germany,
My last play was that long ago that I forgot my Guitar had such things ^^
But isn’t it a bit difficult to play? You have to remember where the right length of your strings are ./

No harder than playing a violin I reckon, although you have to employ a less unusual body shape to play a guitar. Use your ears to tell if it's in tune, although doing that while a drummer is banging away behind you and a singer is belting out a tune might be harder than doing it on your own.

It's probably more remarkable for being fretless.
Exactly, I've got basses with 4-6 strings and various tunings, but fretless is something else.
I mostly played the normal 5 stringed one so far.
A ok „no „Stege „ like whe say in Germany,
My last play was that long ago that I forgot my Guitar had such things ^^
But isn’t it a bit difficult to play? You have to remember where the right length of your strings are ./
In Germany we say "bundfrei".
Of course you have to aim a lot more for the right notes, but it's not as hard as I thought it would be and the thin inlays give you a nice visual orientation.
Sliding also sounds really awesome with doomy distortion.

A German hosting provider makes special offers on holidays. This time of year they have an advent calendar. Yesterday it was a KVM-hosted root server (8 dedicated cores, 48 GB RAM, 1 TB storage @ EUR 30.30/month). It's not exactly "bought", but since they stock it up several times a day in limited numbers, finally managing one into my shopping cart around noon makes it feel like a buy.

Now, I don't know what to do with it.

I guess, I'll learn how to set up an Alpine Linux to gateway and host LXC containers with more Alpines with each having its own task. When I'm done, I'll call 'em The Alps - or sth.

I did a line of sight measurement today. It was already dark and cold. I got to 300 meters with the standard antenna and didn't want to walk further, keeping the receiving unit unattended for to long (as I just placed it outside in public).
So it looks like it has a good range when having line-of-sight, but not when there is any obstacle in front of it like a window.

I just got a Qnap TS-453D NAS and have been configuring and copying data to it for the past 3 days. Had a little scare with the firmware update screwing up the raid making it so it wouldn't read them or even boot with a drive inserted. Turns out to be a pretty common problem when updating the firmware apparently.

Yeah, mine is on it's own physically disconnected network, it's never seen the internet. I plug a laptop into the network when I want to upload or download something, or use N wifi router controlling the network if I need to download something to my phone. Mostly it's just there as a mass storage device that also does it's own backups without having to leave my pc running all the time. The only other thing on the network is a TS-231P that it syncs with to provide a bit of redundancy incase of hardware failure (in addition to the backup).

Back