What Is Good With Gp2x And What Is Bad?

Cruel posted on Mar 30 2007 at 09:48 AM said:
Only battery time is bad. Its just not enough for all good things you`ll find here... i`m getting 3,5-4 hours and want MOOORE....
Add another cell on the back, proven 5.5-6.25 hours battery time. 3 Cell Battery Test thread

pool34 posted on Mar 30 2007 at 10:08 AM said:
Cruel posted on Mar 30 2007 at 11:48 AM said:
Only battery time is bad. Its just not enough for all good things you`ll find here... i`m getting 3,5-4 hours and want MOOORE....

That is my only problem right now with the GP2X, though if I buy 8 more rechargable batterys it should fix the problem.
See above.

I got 5 hours 40 minutes @ 250mhz on a MK1 in battery test. 6 hours 17 minutes @ 200mhz.

Last edited by a moderator:
NDS:
-to large for its power
-stilus handling is not useful for my preferred games
-you need expensive adapters for homebrew
-good display

PSP:
-really good 3d accomplishments
-absolute redundant umd-drive
-powerful, nice scaling but a really bad display (DaveC is right)
-stupid experiment of sony to prevent homebrew
-extrem large and heavy
-you risk to brick your psp during the downgrade
-best ps1 emulation ever
-expensive data storage

GP2X:
-powerful (the 3d capabilities of the nds should be possible in software)
-able to play most multimedia contents
-homebrew without patching
-some usable 3d-engines
-most software is open source
-best display of the handhelds (in my opinion)
-cheap data storage
-huge softwarepool
-best community

i own this handhelds. i prefer the gp2x for gaming and video,
the psp for ps1-emulation only (mostly in the night, because on day you see hardly anything on the dazzling screen), the nds to distract my girlfriend with nintendogs from the other handhelds.

All those decision threads about getting a PSP or DS or GP2x...

What about the decission I am facing ATM: GP2x, although I have a GP32?

What I am about to say is, what benefits do I get for the money? On my GP32 (clockable up to 156MHz) I can play GB, Genesis, NES, PCEngine quite well and for RPGs the SNES emulation is OK (except the games where the missing transparency is anoying! ChronoTrigger for one example)

What I have read here, I will get SNES with transparency but I do not know how fast it is. There are three diffrent SNES-emus AFAIK I am bit confused.
Additionally I will get GBA emulation as it seems. Which is a big plus for me.
Watching DIVX without transcoding first is a plus aswell. Movies on GP32 are not so interesting for me cause of the 128MB SMC limit. So I am looking forward to this.

Some things (GBA emulation and others) need the GP2x to be overclocked. 240MHz should be possible with all units as I read, but how big is the chance that it can go up to 266 or 300? Maybe I should talk to EvilDragon in private about this, cause I will get my GP2x from him (if he reserves one for me till mid april :) )

I really don't know what kind of reaction I will get for this post, but I hope they will make my decission easier. Spending 200EURO is not easy for me.

Ok guys, don't let anything hold you back from replying :)

creature

Storage capacity immediately comes to mind - I couldn't get by with 128Mb cards nowadays.

Plus, of course, NeoGeo and CPS2 emulation, which are amazing on the GP2X. The screen's nicer too!

reviewmetalslugx-2.jpg

B)

ste_167 posted on Mar 30 2007 at 10:37 PM said:
Storage capacity immediately comes to mind - I couldn't get by with 128Mb cards nowadays.

Plus, of course, NeoGeo and CPS2 emulation, which are amazing on the GP2X. The screen's nicer too!

reviewmetalslugx-2.jpg

B)

I haven't tried CPS2 yet, but I think it is way better on a PSP, because it's widescreen, and the emu should be at least as good, since it's a port of a PSP emulator we have :)
But I agree for NeoGeo : resolution is just fine. Too bad it needs overclocking to achieve good performance. Sound emulation definitely needs more work :)

reiboul posted on Apr 1 2007 at 12:20 AM said:
I haven't tried CPS2 yet, but I think it is way better on a PSP, because it's widescreen, and the emu should be at least as good, since it's a port of a PSP emulator we have :)

How do you know it is better on the PSP if you never tried the Gp2X version? BTW CPS2 is NOT widescreen, even in the arcade it was always 4:3 the pixels were just not square.

DaveC posted on Apr 1 2007 at 08:05 AM said:
reiboul posted on Apr 1 2007 at 12:20 AM said:

How do you know it is better on the PSP if you never tried the Gp2X version? BTW CPS2 is NOT widescreen, even in the arcade it was always 4:3 the pixels were just not square.

When I told about not having tried CPS2, I was spoking about PSP version sorry for the confusion :)
4:3 or not, the GP2X just don't show all the screen, so PSP's resolution fits CPS2 better, but I don't see myself playing marvel vs Capcom on its 2 penny worth joystick! And about performance, CPS2 emu is a port from a PSP emu, so it's at least as perofrmant
You choose : widescreen or better controls :)

reiboul said:
When I told about not having tried CPS2, I was spoking about PSP version sorry for the confusion :)
4:3 or not, the GP2X just don't show all the screen, so PSP's resolution fits CPS2 better, but I don't see myself playing marvel vs Capcom on its 2 penny worth joystick! And about performance, CPS2 emu is a port from a PSP emu, so it's at least as perofrmant
You choose : widescreen or better controls :)
You can scale down one direction (horizontal) on the GP2X version then it shows the full screen. You do miss one column every number of columns though but it is sharper and the aspect is correct. With the PSP one you don't loose any columns but it is more blurry looking with the filter and has ghosting. So neither one is "perfect". CPS2 like some other systems can never be perfect aspect at 1:1 on an LCD. You just need to chose which artifact bothers you least as both are a compromise.

DaveC said:
ste_167 said:
I noticed some ghosting on my NDS Lite last night - reds turned to dark brown. I'm going to test the same GBA game on my GP2X and see if it performs better.

Yeah the lite does have a bit of ghosting too, Not quite as bad as it is on the PSP though.

Lol, I know I must be blind because I NEVER have seen ghosting on my Lite. I think you are searching probleme where there are not....

paxl13

paxl13 said:
Lol, I know I must be blind because I NEVER have seen ghosting on my Lite. I think you are searching probleme where there are not....

paxl13
Agreed, it's not a problem on the NDS (but *is* there). I was getting into the conversation topic a little too much!

Back