What Is The Joystick Really Like When Playing Games

GameKing

Still Fresh
Now that some people have their Caanoo I would like to ask what is the joystick really like when playing games? that is the only thing stopping me from placing an order for one :unsure:

I don't have one, but I've looked around for an answer myself and found some good responses!
I wasn't a fan of the GP2X F100 analogue stick or the Wiz D-pad, but it looks like they really nailed it this time.

Nova said:
Although the lack of a Dpad is disappointing, the stick is more than competent enough to be a good replacement. Unless you love your fighting games, I think you'll be pleased there. The console itself feels a lot better than the Wiz in terms of build quality. The Wiz felt very light and hollow whereas the Caanoo has a kind of solid quality to it.

[quote name=http://openxile.co.u...the-gph-caanoo/]
http://openxile.co.uk/2010/08/04/review-the-gph-caanoo/

However, the first thing you no doubt noticed was the nub. That very controversial analog stick.
When the Caanoo was announced, the community was divided. Since a lot of people used the Wiz to emulate classic systems such as SNES, Genesis, MAME, Neo Geo etc, they were used to a Dpad, to provide very precise direction controls. And sure, it was a valid concern – how could the Caanoo emulate properly when the controls are different to the original systems?

Well actually, quite easily. I've been playing around with the Caanoo now for about a week, and I think its safe to say that only the most puritanical of classic gamers would find issue with the analog stick here. I've only been able to test it with MAME and Neo Geo emulators, since they are they only emulator software available at the moment, until GPH releases the Software Development Kit (SDK) in early August. However for all the games I've tested, the analog stick seems to be a fine replacement for the Dpad of the Wiz. The only caveat I can see is for those who enjoy Fighters. Although great for most genres, you won't get the same level of accuracy for pulling off combos as with a Dpad. That's not to say that its impossible to play them, only that its going to take a bit of practice to get used to.

[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'm 'hardcore' enough to actually care much about this. You can change the tolarance % for left, right etc. (as Flavor explained in one of his videos), so different software can use the stick in a different way.
jutley said:
the white one looks really nice too
Can you please stop posting random crap? :)

quote said:
I don't think I'm 'hardcore' enough to actually care much about this. You can change the tolarance % for left, right etc. (as Flavor explained in one of his videos), so different software can use the stick in a different way.
I believe that's referred to as a "dead zone", as in, you have to push in the stick at least, maybe X% of the way for it to register as a directional input.

If you were playing an analogue input game, you would want a small dead zone of about 10% maybe, so it just doesn't register tiny accidental nudges, but is still sensitive enough for small movements.
Something higher like 30-50% would be better for playing d-pad games, as to simulate being pressed above the threshold, else not being pressed when below it.

It would be best if the deadzone is user configurable, that's all up to the devs.

Yeah if you can change the deadzone within the individual emulator, that would be the best.

But like I said, I had no problems playing Neo Geo and MAME games though.

Back