What is your Reason you want this Thing?

Because as far as I know the Pandora was named after Pandora, the first human created by Hephaestus, on the instruction of Zeus. The one with the 'box'.
That makes no sense. Is the Pandora also human because Pandora was human? Or does only the gender get transferred along with the name?

Yes, it's obviously not a person, it's a handheld computer. To suggest otherwise would be nonsensical. But English has a funny relationship with the sex of things, because nouns don't have sexes. We don't normally talk about things having a sex, but if we're forced to we tend to look at the name and if that refers to something that indicates a person we take that. There are also other oddities like boats being traditionally considered to be feminine.

because nouns don't have sexes.
They do have sexes, but the language makes it extremely easy to just not give a fuck. If you've ever wondered why all programmers in English tutorial books are female: that's not manifested feminism, but the actual sex of the noun "programmer" - treating an anonymous programmer as male would be grammatically incorrect.

They do have sexes, but the language makes it extremely easy to just not give a fuck. If you've ever wondered why all programmers in English tutorial books are female: that's not manifested feminism, but the actual sex of the noun "programmer" - treating an anonymous programmer as male would be grammatically incorrect.

Wiktionary doesn't agree; compare the article programmer to programmeur and programmeuse. Note the little italic 'm' and 'f' on the french defintions indicating that in French they have a sex. There's no such letter on the defintion of the English noun.

Last edited:
Okay, maybe a bad example (historic convention based on Ada Lovelace). So what about queen, princess, lioness etc?

The contraint you're missing is "nouns referring to inanimate objects".

Doesnt the Pandora basically cover this?

I never had a Pandora as I cancelled my preorder but do have a GP2X which I only used once or twice years ago. I have bought a few devices since but didnt use them for various reasons, so I sold some and some are still unused. The pyra will be my first real retro emulation device of old systems .

Last edited:
Back