What kind of things can this run?

theDGs

Still Fresh
I just found this, and I'll admit, it looks pretty cool. However, I just don't know how this is designed . . .

Is it possible, say, to install PC games onto it? I mean, of course they'd have to be fairly aged, but as far as I can tell, that's what this is, right? For example . . . Diablo II. I always wanted a portable version of that :D . Is this the thing that can do that? Would I be able to connect two Pandoras together via ethernet and play LAN games like that?

What is this thing capable of? p&|a

Thanks,
theDGs

I think most of opensource pc games will, I dont know if diablo is OSourced

If SDL/OpenGL 2.0 works correctly on p&|a , I hope will see my favorite game (AssaultCube) runing in this treasure

You won't be able to run PC games (as in Windows games) directly on the Pandora. However, you should be able to run games for some of the older (at least) game consoles, through a number of emulators that are either already ported or in the process of getting ported.

Don't ask me about details of the state of emulators, the above is the total of my knowledge in the area of games..
for more info it's better to head over to the gp32x forums.

You won't be able to run PC games (as in Windows games) directly on the Pandora.
but he said open-source PC games, which generally are cross platform (have a linux version), and if not, the fact that it's open source means someone with motivation could take the code and port it to linux (and something tells me pandora will offer a lot more motivation)

Hmm so in theory this could run say counter-strike 1.6 right?

MadMax said:
Hmm so in theory this could run say counter-strike 1.6 right?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: It is certainly powerful enough, the only thing that is stopping it is it being proprietary and that Valve will never ever port it. There isn't even a Linux x86 version of any Valve games, so don't expect them to port it to an ARM version of Linux. Edit: And any emulation/virtualization isn't an option.

Keep in mind that open-source Counter-Strike knock-offs will likely be ported.

Back