What Kinds Of Pandora Games Are Going To Be Released?

eomonkeyboi24

Still Fresh
I was wondering if there are people working on games for the pandora when it is released. I know Lerp is coming, but that game doesn't seem to interest me. I was wondering if anyone would be able to make a racing game kinda like gta or need for speed. I really thought there would be more pandora based games and not emulation type games. I don't want the only thing the pandora is good for is emulation. I have considered getting a refund if this is the case. Please respond with any info you know of.

There will be many more games, but until developers actually have them, they can't develop for them, right?
It's a chicken-egg problem: you need to wait for the egg to hatch before you can raise the chicken. Or the other way around. And I'm not sure which represents the Pandora, and which represents the software.
Point is that limited development without Pandoras has already occurred, and that development will no doubt be accelerated in two months(tm) time.

edit: Also, click here to see almost everything currently in development for the Pandora.

Pandorama said:
I was wondering if there are people working on games for the pandora when it is released. I know Lerp is coming, but that game doesn't seem to interest me. I was wondering if anyone would be able to make a racing game kinda like gta or need for speed. I really thought there would be more pandora based games and not emulation type games. I don't want the only thing the pandora is good for is emulation. I have considered getting a refund if this is the case. Please respond with any info you know of.

In all honesty, what were you expecting? The device is basically a tiny open source PC built by a group of enthusiasts. With the exception of a few guys trying their hand at making games then there aren't going to be any "games specifically for the Pandora". In general you're just looking at games that work on ARM Linux (and OpenGL/ES). More games may appear for the platform in future but it's not backed by large gaming companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was concerned that this might be the case with a large number of people interested in the Pandora. I believe that they have misunderstood it's purpose and are expecting it to be a more powerful Nintendo DS. There is no doubt that one of it's primary roles is emulation, although it will have specific games developed for it eventually, these will most likely all be produced by very small indie developers and, although I've no doubt they will be brilliant, most of these games probably won't be of the highly polished commercial standard that those people might expect.

On another note, anyone know if Beats of Rage will be ported?...

A game is a game is a game. I don't see why it matters which platform it was originally developed for. That said, it'd be cool to see what the community can create, even if it isn't super-fancy-3D-commercial quality games.

It matters because emulated games are always at least a few times less efficient, and less interesting since everyone's already played them.

There are a lot of games that are sort of "in development", but are moving slowly for whatever reason.
For instance, I'm sort of working on a clone of LEGO Rock Raiders, but I'm caught up in implementing a custom pathfinding algorithm that "sounded good at the time".

In my defense, A* doesn't work well with grids AT ALL.

edit: I also thought a racing game would be cool, but I didn't want to get caught up in learning / writing a racing physics engine.
Maybe someone wants to make a mod for SuperTuxKart with lighting and realistic scenery / cars?

Dont forget this list: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43659

lulzfish said:
It matters because emulated games are always at least a few times less efficient, and less interesting since everyone's already played them.

There are a lot of games that are sort of "in development", but are moving slowly for whatever reason.
For instance, I'm sort of working on a clone of LEGO Rock Raiders, but I'm caught up in implementing a custom pathfinding algorithm that "sounded good at the time".

In my defense, A* doesn't work well with grids AT ALL.

edit: I also thought a racing game would be cool, but I didn't want to get caught up in learning / writing a racing physics engine.
Maybe someone wants to make a mod for SuperTuxKart with lighting and realistic scenery / cars?

Why doesn't A* work well with grids? I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, assuming you're implementing it in a grid-friendly way...

A Rock Raider Clone sounds great, i dont played the original game but lego + dungeon keeper would be awesome
A Game where you can build virtual a lego car/truck/playn/spaceship/ship, etc and drive whit it like gta where awesome too B)

Quite a lot of indie devs (and I mean commercial quality devs) have shown interest. But they can't (or won't) do much without a Pandora in their hands. Soon, they can have one. :)

Well, this thread lists some of the games being developed specifically for the Pandora. I think once the actual hardware is released, and developers can see some software running on it, then the community will start growing a lot faster. I'd expect that in a year or two the Pandora would at least have as much custom development (open source and proprietary) as the GP32X, Wiz, or Dingoo. I'd love to develop a proper platformer for Pandora, since Super Tux just doesn't cut it for me. I also would like to develop a Princess Maker type game for Pandora, but now we're talking two or three years out most likely.

There won't be a ton of new launch titles that haven't been seen on other systems before. But I think that as soon as the hardware becomes available you're going to see a lot more tutorials in the developers' area, and lot more excitement from developers as they feed off of each other's excitement to finish off more and more of the games they are working on.

I think initially you are going to see a lot of simpler arcade games, puzzle games, and the like as people get used to developing for the system and its controls. Then in time the more complex games that push the hardware and take more resources to develop will begin to show up. But the custom development for Pandora will likely be indie games that you probably haven't heard of before, not well known commercial games.

And for Envirex, what genres of games are you looking for on Pandora that you aren't seeing in the works?

Cheers!

Back