GP2X What Language Do You Think I Should Learn?

Which language should I learn?

• ASM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C(of some kind)

• Python

• other

• Total voters

Let's say nes, how long will it take if I ported it and changed it a little? :huh:
It will depend entirely on how quickly you learn, how well you can understand the hardware of both devices and what you intend to change. It also depends how much time you can spend doing it. No one knows these things, probably not even yourself. It is not going to be short job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's say nes, how long will it take if I ported it and changed it a little? :huh:
How long is a piece of string? Depends which emu you are porting as well, taking something that was written completely in ASM is going to take an extremely long time.

Ball park figure (full time):
3 mths learning the language well enough to understand most programs
2 wks studying the emulators code
2 wks understanding the hardware of both systems

1-2 mths hashing out an alpha (unoptimised).

Total 5-6 mths

And that's being rather generous to be perfectly honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually you're asking two questions, and that is "what language should I learn as a first language" and "what language should i use for writing emu's". As a first language Python or to a lesser extend C would be good. There's just the problem in C that you easily can make some small and hard to find errors.
If you want to write an emu i guess you should use C and maybe some asm to get the machines full speed. But maybe you shouldn't aim for writing a game or emu as your first project. Try to write something really simple in the beginning, like a simple text based calculator or whatever. Then try to write a program that's a bit more difficult and so on. Read code, write code and you should have the skills for writing an emu in about one or two years i guess.
But programming is fun you should definetly learn it... it just takes time ;)

Back