• Same as P1, i.e. Chiclet with rounded keys

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • Chiclet, flat keys with spaces between keys

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Traditional laptop, small space between keys

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Desktop style

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Touchscreen (on second screen as per DS)

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other (please post what)

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • None, game controls only would be fine

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
The combination of hardware keyboard and gaming controls is one of the things that makes the Pandora stand out from the crowd when compared to other handheld devices. It makes sense that the nature of the keyboard should be one of the prime considerations when designing a successor.

There are of course hundreds of varieties of keyboard that could be used, please post if I've missed an obvious general type of keyboard, I'll add it to the poll.

For question 1. Chiclet is like this, Traditional laptop is like this, desktop style is like this (plenty of travel on the keys as per desktop keyboard)

With question 3. The goal is to assess whether the current 'quality' of keyboard would suit most, if the majority would be willing to pay an extra $50 then it would make sense to produce a P2 with an improved keyboard (compared to P1).

Please consider the likely impact on portability & production costs when giving your response. I'm sure many here would love to see something like an IBM model M keyboard, but surely that would make P2 too large / too expensive? ;)

41RvG0cI4aL.jpg

I'd love a mechanical keyboard for the perfect tactile sensation. But probably impossible. I'd pay another $ 75,- for that easily. 

1+4 or 1+5 rows would be fine. Preferably the 1+5 but it would depend on how much smaller the keys would get. I'd rather have 1+4 and being able to type a bit faster if size becomes an issue. 

The current design works well for thumb typing, not so good for touch typing, but I'm typically not putting it on a desk and typing.. The current design is easy and cheap to manufacture and pretty resistant from wearing out. So I voted for current design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually struggle a lot to thumb-type on the P. Its a very large and inefficiently layed out keyboard. If thr keys were flat and hard plastic, I think it would be a lot easier for me.

I'd quite like a keyboard that works like Casio scientific calculators used to - a rubber membrane much like the Pandora's integrated one, with the keyboard template (ie the case with the holes for the keys) designed to hold individual flat topped plastic keys in place. Release a 3D file for the keys and people could make their own (3D printing service), with colours and language layouts of their own choosing.

They could also experiment with alternative shaped surfaces, like concave/convex, ridged or textured.

I actually struggle a lot to thumb-type on the P. Its a very large and inefficiently layed out keyboard. If thr keys were flat and hard plastic, I think it would be a lot easier for me.
Same here. The big round buttons take a lot of time for me. I rather have something that reacts faster due to less physical power needed.

What's the difference between "Laptop style" and "Desktop style"?

Edit: Oh, just read the first post, seems you're referring to travel distance, well, I guess laptop then, because you won't have much space for travel if you're to keep the size of the device down

Asmo,

I love the idea, but how would that work with a backlight? Notsure if others would agree, but I cant see myself buying another P ifbit doesnt have a backlit keyboard

Either make it frontlit, with dayglo lettering on the keys, or make the letters on the keys out of a clear plastic to let backlight light through (probably more expensive, as you'd probably have to make separate clear plastic inserts for each key).

Asmo,

I love the idea, but how would that work with a backlight? Notsure if others would agree, but I cant see myself buying another P ifbit doesnt have a backlit keyboard
LEDs could be on the PCB, maybe with a protective drop of clear epoxy or similar on them, then the rubber mat could have an opening through which the light shines (the contact pad could be a ring).

Or you could have the LEDs offset, so they sit at, say, the top left corner of each key, protruding through a part of they keymat not used for the contact pad; the keys would need to be designed with a corresponding gap to allow the light to enter when the key is 'up' (doesn't matter when it's being depressed, as your finger is obscuring it anyway!).

Or the keys could all sit on identical clear lightpipe inserts to channel offset LEDs, or there could just be a couple of actual LEDs and a mesh of fibre optic cables to carry the light, or...

I'm sure there's a few ways to do it ;)

EDIT: With 3D printed keys, you could allow illumination several ways, like with indented lettering where the plastic is thinner so it would allow light through.

There's a 3D printing service near me that offers transparent (in several shades of many colours) as an option, I wouldn't be surprised if by the time a P2 is on the horizon, this'll be widespread. There's always a way!

Isnt there a type of rubber that conducts electricity and converts it to light? Similar to how a filiment works? I tried googling for it but couldnt find what I was talking about.

For the purposes of the poll :

@ Klumpen : I'd call that a traditional laptop keyboard

@ Shenmue : I'd call that a Chiclet keyboard

What do you guys think of the style/feel of the Xbox 360 chat pad? I've always been a pretty big fan myself. Some might not care for the clicking noises though.

I have that very same keyboard.  It is an absolute nightmare to type anything out on - I can't type on it without looking right at it - the keys don't have enough definition to be able to run your thumb over it to find the key you're after by feel.  On the plus side, the backlight is done well.

Those joysticks are the definition of cheap - though they do an interesting thing in 'mouse mode' where one is coarse and the other is fine movement then the shoulder buttons are the L/R mouse.

Pretty good for an HTPC controller with occasional use.  Typing the command line path for anything or a short email - forget it.

What do you guys think of the style/feel of the Xbox 360 chat pad? I've always been a pretty big fan myself. Some might not care for the clicking noises though.
YES PLEASE! Thats what I want in the P2. The thing is, in order to make it so small, it would have to be centered in the P.

I have that very same keyboard.  It is an absolute nightmare to type anything out on - I can't type on it without looking right at it - the keys don't have enough definition to be able to run your thumb over it to find the key you're after by feel.  On the plus side, the backlight is done well.

Those joysticks are the definition of cheap - though they do an interesting thing in 'mouse mode' where one is coarse and the other is fine movement then the shoulder buttons are the L/R mouse.

Pretty good for an HTPC controller with occasional use.  Typing the command line path for anything or a short email - forget it.
I'm not suggesting to use this keyboard.  I'm just suggesting the layout is cool.  Pandora's Dpad is awesome so P2's Dpad should use exact same Dpad.  Everything else on the keyboard can change.

Tempting, but now I'll resist. Each of you guys buy an additional P1 and I'll talk :p

Back