What Will The Case Look Like?

clyborg

Still Fresh
I'm confused about what the final case will look like.

Based on the renderings, the console looks great. Based on the lastest blog posts, I'm not too sure.

Will the final case look like this?
pandastart.jpg

or this?

DSC01612.jpg

I'm hoping the final looks like the first image. Thanks.

Clyborg

I'm pretty new here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I'm pretty sure the current shell is just for prototyping/testing. The final will have the smooth matte black finish. If not, I'ma be very unhappy.

Yes, that second picture is the FDM case--just a prototype. The final case will have a matte black finish, apparently like the inside of the DSi.

iBrew said:
I'm pretty new here, so someone correct me if i"m wrong - but I'm pretty sure the current shell is just for prototyping/testing. The final will have the smooth matte black finish. If not, I'ma be very unhappy.

Yes. You need to look at the plastic of the X,Y,A,B buttons and the game-pad to get an idea of the finished look of the shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda liked that texture, but the final is going to be matte, so it will be smooth, but not smooth enough to be reflective (Though the keyboard area will probably become shiny as fingers wear at it)

And no, the final case will not be held together with clear tape. That was an issue with the prototypes, and they've fixed it now.

Clyborg said:
I'm confused about what the final case will look like.

Based on the renderings, the console looks great. Based on the lastest blog posts, I'm not too sure.
. . .
I'm hoping the final looks like the first image. Thanks.

Clyborg

Did you see this picture on the same page?

DSC016052.jpg

The battery cover is one of the new molded parts showing the final texture/color (though in some really yellow/orange light) as compared to the FDM (fused deposition modeling) case around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason those ones look so shitty is because they are made by a "3d printer" rapid prototyping machine. This basically takes a 3d cad file, separates it into many layers, and then "prints" each layer out of abs. So You end up with tons of layers, each of which is made by a print head moving back and forth, creating the diagonal line texture. So, you end up with a really rough-ass model, but it happens really quickly, and requires no extra tooling besides the fab machine, as they are called.

Back